Where is the love?

13 hours ago, Tim K said:

The Philanthropy Roundtable (philanthropyroundtable.org) is a resource many people in advancement/development will use for planning and targeting purposes. Roughly 67% of American households give to charitable causes. Generation X had the largest percentage increase in 2020, especially at the higher ages in this category. Baby Boomers give the most but donations are larger from those at the lower age spectrum. So key donors are between 50-65 which makes sense. You’re more than likely still working and have the income to give. Millennials give the least but before we get into a boomer v. Millennials debate, this is not a slight. Millennials have started donating to causes at an earlier age than their predecessors which makes them likely to keep the habit of giving. The biggest reason people give to a cause is belief in its purpose. The least likely reason is for a tax deduction. 

And furthermore, under the section titled The Importance of Transparency:

Organizations working with younger donors should be prepared to provide transparency in linking charitable contributions to measurable results.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesnonprofitcouncil/2021/12/27/the-future-of-giving-trends-shaping-next-gen-philanthropy/?sh=7208d6651b88

• Thanks 2

On 11/2/2023 at 12:16 PM, 2000Cadet said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Too many people come off like things should be perfect and forget that, just like with a Presidency, things implemented today can take years to actually show up. 

Stop spouting off like you know every in-and-out that comes out of Cadets.  

Some people choose to donate directly to the corps instead of the GoFundMe link. 

Exactly. This whole thing has just gotten so silly. I wish the mods would just shut down all these Cadets and Vanguard threads. NO ONE, yes NO ONE, knows what they are talking about. Only those on the inside know.

Some seem to be getting some joy out of this. We'll see how joyful they are when it's their corps that has to take the season off.

And that's part of the problem: re nobody knowing what they're talking about except insiders. It's simply not how transparency should work in a healthy nonprofit who has painstakingly built trust with a diverse constellation of stakeholders and donors. Everybody within that constellation should know what they're talking about... because it's been thoughtfully crafted and communicated by insiders.

Why not do this? It's how it's supposed to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

And that's part of the problem: re nobody knowing what they're talking about except insiders. It's simply not how transparency should work in a healthy nonprofit who has painstakingly built trust with a diverse constellation of stakeholders and donors. Everybody within that constellation should know what they're talking about... because it's been thoughtfully crafted and communicated by insiders.

Why not do this? It's how it's supposed to work.

After all the events since 2018, I honestly can’t fathom why a Corps wouldn’t be 100% transparent.  

Yet here we are.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

After all the events since 2018, I honestly can’t fathom why a Corps wouldn’t be 100% transparent.  

Yet here we are.  

I see two options why they aren't and welcome others to share ones I'm not thinking of:

1. They don't know how to be transparent + effective (especially after decades of doing the opposite)
  2. They don't want to be transparent (because that would seem like less control and power over the orgs/product to anyone from for-profit background ... or to those who have only served on boards rather than actually done the work of seeing a mission through to its actuation at the admin level)

Both aren't good and we see the adverse outcomes of this non-transparent approach every season. There are countless guides available by web search if hiring a tested nonprofit pro is unaffordable for orgs atm.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Exactly. This whole thing has just gotten so silly. I wish the mods would just shut down all these Cadets and Vanguard threads. NO ONE, yes NO ONE, knows what they are talking about. Only those on the inside know.

Ahh. You speak wisdom. At the same time you have spoken one answer to the question - why aren’t people donating more?  No transparency = no more money. I suspect this is how some people feel. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Ahh. You speak wisdom. At the same time you have spoken one answer to the question - why aren’t people donating more?  No transparency = no more money. I suspect this is how some people feel. 

Real transparency would go a long way toward convincing potential donors that they are not throwing good money after bad.  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Real transparency would go a long way toward convincing potential donors that they are not throwing good money after bad.  

When SCV first announced they were taking year off and needed donations I was checking the corps FB page. Multiple people asked if the shortfall was covered through donations, what would the BoD do to try to make sure it wouldn’t happen again. If there was any response it was after I quit looking 

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

When SCV first announced they were taking year off and needed donations I was checking the corps FB page. Multiple people asked if the shortfall was covered through donations, what would the BoD do to try to make sure it wouldn’t happen again. If there was any response it was after I quit looking 

And listen...

...that's not even to go so far as to accuse them of doing anything nefarious with money donated. (Far from it. That's literally the worst case scenario.) We just want to know that they can communicate a thoughtful plan. Something that should be simple.

If this were effectively communicated, I would donate my expertise (in lieu of money that I don't have, like most of my millennial-aged cohort) readily.

• Thanks 1