The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Years back told someone that corps are one (legal) “oh <crap>” away from going under. Got told I was a fear monger and hated the activity…. If someone who isn’t part of corps management or even a current corps member can see this coming, why is the activity still run as same old same old, it will never happen to us.

It’s been said on here by several of us for years

• Like 3

This is such a jolt . This will take a bit for me too digest this news  . But my first reaction is not a good one . It’s no secret the Cadets finances coming out of the Hopkins saga , then Covid lockdowns were on pretty shaky grounds .  Now this . My sense , sadly , is that a Corps does not come back from this . Cadets likely finished 2023 still in some level debt  . If they have to pay legal bills going way back ,plus  upcoming legal bills , then a lawsuit settlement of some number , then that would require selling off whatever current tangible , physical assets they might have …

Oh Man . Don’t see how a Corps comes back from this . Taking a season off won’t solve this , imo . So sad . It really is . But if disbandment forever is the price a Corps pays for apparent  sexual assault of a minor , then it was not finances that did them in , it regrettably was a couple of untrustworthy sleazy adults  that buried this iconic 89 year old Drum Corps . So many wonderful and decent people came thru the Cadets over these 89 years too , that I feel so sad to learn of this fir them too  … and of course  it goes without saying , sad that a minor had their trust in adults shattered in such a devious way as an impressionable and vulnerable youngster while marching Drum Corps in the Cadets   .😥

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

So he’s been a festering pos for close to four decades that he was director of the Cadets? I’m sickened by that. 

I think more like six to seven decades

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

This is such a jolt . This will take a bit for me too digest this news  . But my first reaction is not a good one . It’s no secret the Cadets finances coming out of the Hopkins saga , then Covid lockdowns were on pretty shaky grounds .  Now this . My sense , sadly , is that a Corps does not come back from this . Cadets likely finished 2023 still in some level Debt . If they have to pay legal bills going way back ,plus  upcoming legal bills , then a lawsuit settlement of some number , then that would require selling off whatever current tangible , physical assets they might have …Oh Man . Don’t see how a Corps comes back from this . Taking a season off won’t solve this , imo . So sad . It really is . But if disbandment for good is the price a Corps pays for apparent  sexual assault of a minor , then it was not finances that did them in , it regrettably was a couple of untrustworthy sleazy adults  that buried this iconic 89 year old Drum Corps . So many wonderful and decent people came thru the Cadets over these 89 years too , that I feel so sad to learn of this .😥

The slight (possibility very slight) glimmer of hope is that one of the legal documents requests info for any insurance policy Cadets may have that would cover this.   I have no idea if in 82/3 there would have been insurance or not.  Or if a current policy would cover it.   Or even if the alleged misconduct would even be covered by an insurance policy.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The slight (possibility very slight) glimmer of hope is that one of the legal documents requests info for any insurance policy Cadets may have that would cover this.   I have no idea if in 82/3 there would have been insurance or not.  Or if a current policy would cover it.   Or even if the alleged misconduct would even be covered by an insurance policy.  

I’m relying on my fallible memory here, but as I recall, Garfield was rubbing their pennies together for gas money back then … so I doubt it. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Liability policies provide coverage for sexual harassment , discrimination civil claims and for legal defense legal fees . However , such policies ( as you can imagine ) do NOT cover an organization as protection against criminal acts such as sexual assault , nor do they cover their legal costs , nor punitive damages awarded by the court to victims of criminal acts caused by a hired employee of that organization .

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Five separate counts, ten John Doe co-defendants. According to filing, Discovery has already taken place? 

Discovery was supposed to have been wrapped up by September, and there were a few filings for "compel to be deposed" in there. 

Right now, it's heading toward court-mandated arbitration as ordered back at the beginning of October, but there's a motion by CA&E to move to mediation with the judge acting as the mediator in lieu of arbitration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, FossilChops said:

Discovery was supposed to have been wrapped up by September, and there were a few filings for "compel to be deposed" in there. 

Right now, it's heading toward court-mandated arbitration as ordered back at the beginning of October, but there's a motion by CA&E to move to mediation with the judge acting as the mediator in lieu of arbitration.

Anyone want to discuss the difference between mediation & arbitration?