The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

1 hour ago, DCI-1983-91 said:

Well, in this lawsuit, the rep from Cadets Arts Entertainment is saying differently, arguing that DCI as governing body has culpability. And an expert witness will argue the same.

A SoundSport group a few years back had their open-class application vetoed over a social media post criticizing two DCI corps (and arguably, former DCI corps at that point).  What will the penalty be for a corps whose representative causes DCI to be named as a co-defendant in a lawsuit?

2 hours ago, DCI-1983-91 said:

Just a marketing corporation, huh? 

Marketing drum corps as a wonderful activity for young people, on one hand, and then not protect them from abuse, on the other. 

I'm simply stating the actual functionality of the organization as it was set up in the fall of 1971 and operating through most of its history. In the 80s, DCI had no role in overseeing internal operations of the corps who participated.  The Cadets case adding them at this point in the process feels like they're going to a scattershot approach and looking for someone attached to the activity who might have two nickels to rub together, since CAE has nothing in the way of assets, YEA is dead, and the Garfield Cadets haven't seen since the late 80s.

The SOA case would likely be more complex given the time frame, as it's post Hopkins, so falls into a era when DCI, by their own changes in position and verbiage, started saying they did have expectations of the member corps when it came to member health and safety.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

It wasn't what they were charged with doing. DCI was designed by the founders to be a marketing corporation, not a governing body that had power to intervene in the internal operations of the member corps.  

Hmmm.  Willful negligence?  Let’s see if it flies. But sir I wasn’t told I needed to stop abuse. That was the corps’ responsibility. I just run the tour. 
The blind leading the blind. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I'm simply stating the actual functionality of the organization as it was set up in the fall of 1971 and operating through most of its history. I

Thanks for the background. Is there a lawsuit or legal case wrt SoA? Or does the issue consist of MASSIM complaints, reddit threads, Facebooketc.?

20 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

A SoundSport group a few years back had their open-class application vetoed over a social media post criticizing two DCI corps (and arguably, former DCI corps at that point).  

This is why "not a governing body" is difficult to accept.

Edited by DCI-1983-91

55 minutes ago, DCI-1983-91 said:

Thanks for the background. Is there a lawsuit or legal case wrt SoA? Or does the issue consist of MASSIM complaints, reddit threads, Facebooketc.?

Yes, but they haven't made any public statements to date. From the incident prior to their suspended tour in 2022. DCI is also named in the lawsuit.

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

It wasn't what they were charged with doing. DCI was designed by the founders to be a marketing corporation, not a governing body that had power to intervene in the internal operations of the member corps.  

It was always more than just marketing.   DCI put in place standardized rules (vs VFW/AL/CYO/ others that were different from each other pre DCI).  Also enforced eligibility rules (1975 ‘chacos for example).   

Are the documents that legally formed DCI available somewhere to view?   Seems that people say DCI is this, or DCI can’t do that, etc.  But what do the documents say?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCI-1983-91 said:

This is a list of statutes of limitations by state.  
https://www.rainn.org/state-state-guide-statutes-limitations

The jurisdiction where the incident occurred is important   And as I understand it w/r/t Cadets case it is established that it was in NJ.   But for other Corps & incidents on tour it may be more difficult to establish.    Like I said earlier, schools & stadiums all start to look alike, and keeping 30+ tour stops straight decades later could be problematic.   Not saying incidents didn’t happen, and my heart goes out to the victims.  But going to court demands a certain standard of proof that just might not be available any more.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This is a list of statutes of limitations by state.  
https://www.rainn.org/state-state-guide-statutes-limitations

The jurisdiction where the incident occurred is important   And as I understand it w/r/t Cadets case it is established that it was in NJ.   But for other Corps & incidents on tour it may be more difficult to establish.    Like I said earlier, schools & stadiums all start to look alike, and keeping 30+ tour stops straight decades later could be problematic.   Not saying incidents didn’t happen, and my heart goes out to the victims.  But going to court demands a certain standard of proof that just might not be available any more.  

It's probably only going to take one to stick to cause a overwhelming financial burden to terminate the organizations. 

Hence probably why the NJ approach. It would be very hard to discount that of all the events that happened none of them were in NJ. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

Hence probably why the NJ approach. It would be very hard to discount that of all the events that happened none of them were in NJ. 

In this lawsuit, they're alleging some of the events took place between 1982-83. Offseason when the corps would have been rehearsing in NJ and not touring.