CAVALIERS COMEBACK YEAR?

I think the visual additions will help them. It is a crap shoot and most of this stuff depends on the design. I liked them musically last year and their guard was soooo young and inexperienced, but at the end of the season scored well.

I think good things are in store, but we won't know much until a few camps have been under their and other corps' belts. Lots of corps in their scoring range had better seasons last year other than percussion, and then there's SCV.

My hope is that 5-9th will be competitive and keep it exciting for all the corps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

With the Cavies now having the the number one percussion line, will their current staff be able to put a better show together in 2024? I think they will, and expect them to be back in the top six, if not higher. 

K. Trusting your gut? 

Edited by Sutasaurus

Will depend on recruiting. Percussion should have no problem replacing age outs with similar talent. Hornline seemed young and they didn't get a lot of credit for the more acoustic (less mic'd) approach, but if they have enough vets back, it's a solid base.

Musical choices and visual design were both....kind of bad in 2023. Visual was the corps' biggest obvious weakness, and with a corps that was historically thought of as a visual powerhouse, the flaw was glaring (and a little painful to see, to be honest). Musically, it was a mistake to go "tribute" since none of the callbacks had anywhere near the power of their first versions, and only made the 2023 corps look weak in comparison to their predecessors. IF the program team can recognize that fact and decide to face forward, they have a shot of being relevant again. But that's all a lot of 'if's.

• Thanks 1

i had hoped after 19 there'd be more moves up, but then 22 happened. 24 needs to be a more well rounded fuller concept and show

• Like 1

I like Cavaliers chances. That percussion line alone got a standing ovation from me when I saw them in Pittsburgh. I enjoyed all the music they played but it was the busy arranging in some cases that likely got them in trouble when trying to lock that in with their visual program. Early season I thought if they could tweak and edit the show while cutting the fat that they could be top 6 or higher. But it's hard to put your finger on what. I couldn't do it so I am definitely not throwing any shade at the staff. Fine-tuning a show at that level is not so easy. We admire when Blue Devils do it, and we always assume they will, yet we sometimes fail to realize just how difficult the process is. 

Having said that the Cavaliers show hit me very differently when I saw them live. I loved it for the most part. I'll be rooting for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

I wonder if an all-male guard can compete with today's  brilliant co-ed top four guards: Boston, BD, Bluecoats, Crown. When is the last time Cavies won Guard?  The color guard is a much bigger part of shows than in the past. 

since they were last in contention

• Like 1