Madison Scouts 2024 repertoire: “Unholy”

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think Kilties played it first in 68 when they won VFW.. They learned that concert mid season.
I even played it in Norwood Park in 73.  

1968 was even before my time. I miss the Kilts but not competing against them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

1968 was even before my time. I miss the Kilts but not competing against them. 

You guys stirred it up a little in 74 but you ended up on top.  Kilts had a comedy of errors at DCI that year in finals. A timpani strap broke and the DM had to wait for him to fix it and a penalty knocked them down two places.  I personally thought Kingsmen had a much better show that year. 

16 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think Kilties played it first in 68 when they won VFW.. They learned that concert mid season.
I even played it in Norwood Park in 73.  

That’s crazy. I Googled it and it says MacArthur’s Park was released April, 1968. For Kilties to add that mid season is wild. They must have jumped on that song immediately!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

That’s crazy. I Googled it and it says MacArthur’s Park was released April, 1968. For Kilties to add that mid season is wild. They must have jumped on that song immediately!

Ken Norman was pretty tuned in, I guess.  They played Karn Evil 9 in 1974. Released by ELP in December 1973. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

You guys stirred it up a little in 74 but you ended up on top.  Kilts had a comedy of errors at DCI that year in finals. A timpani strap broke and the DM had to wait for him to fix it and a penalty knocked them down two places.  I personally thought Kingsmen had a much better show that year. 

I vaguely remember that, but just looked and didn't realize it was .8 in penalties.  Ouch!  

####, drummers.  Always causing chit. 

• Haha 2

On 2/19/2024 at 9:55 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

You may be correct.  But, I would rather withhold judgment until we see scores from all the other top-12 contenders. 

It's just a little bit of history repeating.

On 2/25/2024 at 12:10 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Ken Norman was pretty tuned in, I guess.  They played Karn Evil 9 in 1974. Released by ELP in December 1973. 

"Ken Norman was pretty tuned in, I guess."

That's putting it mildly. Compared with all the other arrangers in the history of this game, he came from another planet.

(I can imagine Yoda saying, "Tuned in, he was, Ken Norman.")

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2024 at 2:58 PM, HockeyDad said:

Not a lot of copyright concerns back then.

2 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

Not a lot of copyright concerns back then.

I think Ken actually had some integrity about that.  He sued Herscher high School (and won) in the mid 70’s for lifting one of his arrangements note for note. 

• Like 1