CA Dept of Justice issues SCV "LETTER OF GOOD STANDING"

18 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

They have addressed what is required by law. They have not addressed the concerns, that is unless you mean they have pretty much clarified my concerns are validated. My concerns are addressed, they are validated. That is not a measure of everything is good now. 

At some point rationalizing things are on a corrective path needs to be replaced with finding the causes of the issues addressed in the Auditor's Report. The problem with finding the causes and validating them is there are consequences.

When those who face consequences can block the road to validation and the subsequent consequences there is motivation to prevent the validation. 

Even though SCV has received a go for competing in 24, could some of these other concerns which are still on the table, prevent them from touring?

3 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Does SCV maintain "competitive inertia" with the year off? 😉

Rennick, Gaines, Riley, Van Doren Family Brass Team.

SCV has plenty of CI, assuming it’s close. Thus the question will be “will the performance level/maturity measure up to its competitors?”

If yes, SCV has enough CI to carry them over close competitors. More likely no. (Perc, Guard and Design will be fine.)

Make no mistake: SCV is not starting over, by any means, except (hopefully) financial admin. Veteranship is lower, but that might be a good thing. 

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Did they place first, second or third in 2022?  (Checks dci.org) - No. therefore they had no chance to win anyway in 2023. And same goes for 2024.  I know this thanks to Bruckner. 

To be clear, the “prior year success” observation only applies to new champions. SCV has multiple championships and many champions on staff. Too bad their admin and board is full of goofs.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TOC said:

Even though SCV has received a go for competing in 24, could some of these other concerns which are still on the table, prevent them from touring?

They would effectively have to have the Bingo license pulled for that to mechanically prevent them from touring. Understand, the Bingo license is regulated by the City of Santa Clara. Complaints filed to the city are in no way correlated with complaints to the State. The state says they can operate as a non profit. The City gives them the privilege to operate Bingo. 

However, according to the auditors, nothing material can be verified. So even if they said they have a lot saved up from over 2023, from the auditors point of view "if you say so". 

Even if they go delinquent again for failing to file 2023 financials they are easily going to get extended to September, and the clock would have started all over again anyway. 

I think there is an 80% chance they will Tour. There is just too much reputation that is been staked against it. However, it could break them financially if bingo is bleeding the whole time and they lose control of expenses. I mean I could possibly rent a private 747 to a European vacation, but I wouldn't be able to get back, and I'd been living on the streets when its over. 

I cannot verify this of course but I think:

1) They are not starting 2024 with the same level of reserves they started with in 2022. 

2) They will have to operate with a budget significantly less than they operated with in 2022 and 2019. 

So considering those two things my confidence is not high regarding the financial execution of the 2024 tour. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Perhaps with a lot of experienced forensic examiner’s & investigators it might be possible to follow the money.  But this isn’t an Enron-level organization we’re talking about, yet it could require an Enron-level investigation to unravel.  

Internal distrust?  Good question.  It sounds like the new director forced through the required audit (to the degree that it could be verified) to meet the absolute last time no more chances DoJ deadline.  And good on him for doing this.  We’ll see what happens longer term; as we are pontificating on an ongoing process where we don’t see all the moving parts- who knows what will happen.   It does seem that a portion of the executive leadership left during the last several years while others have dug in.  

At the least someone else should be running bingo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

To be clear, the “prior year success” observation only applies to new champions. SCV has multiple championships and many champions on staff. Too bad their admin and board is full of goofs.

Can I at least get partial credit for my answer?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

SCV sure knows how to pick'em they just can't KEEP'em

And this right here is the deeply-rooted, institutional cancer that I want to see driven out of any future SCV.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

🫣

Knowing who that is, the phrase is perfectly suited for them. 😁

• Like 2