A Great Article on The Cadets

The judge gave exclusive rights to the name "27th Lancers Drum and Bugle Corps" to the Bonfiglios. However, the judge refused the Bonfiglios' further request to forbid the Light Brigade from playing "Danny Boy". The judge explained that the court should not involve itself in artistic decisions like repertoire.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Slingerland said:

A totally new organization with zero ties to The Cadets in terms of personnel, Board members, etc, etc, would likely be safe, but at that point, what would really be created, and how would it be different from any other new Open Class or All Ages org? 

The history of The Cadets has been a huge draw for 70 years, and minus that history, not sure what the point would be.

If you are not sure what the point would be in forming a drum corps today, you may be in the wrong forum.

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

after the last 6 years they should go back to being Plebes

My friend over in North Port was in the Plebes before she moved up to Cadets. She’s shown me a picture of herself with a rifle.  She was such a tiny little girl that the rifle was almost bigger than her. She  was actually from Garfield and was in the corps for the three-peat. I’m older than her but she’s my hero. 

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

after the last 6 years they should go back to being Plebes

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

There was a 60s Sr corps called the Interstatesmen from NY/MA. In the 70s there was a corps with the same name that competed in the lower level Red Carpet Association. I thought the corps were connected until I said on RAMD I competed against them in the 70s.

Think flames shot out of my monitor from the response from a 60s member.

some reacted the same way to the version of our old corps that existed between 1999-2001

3 hours ago, traverbanking said:

The judge gave exclusive rights to the name "27th Lancers Drum and Bugle Corps" to the Bonfiglios. However, the judge refused the Bonfiglios' further request to forbid the Light Brigade from playing "Danny Boy". The judge explained that the court should not involve itself in artistic decisions like repertoire.

boy that family loves the court system

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

some reacted the same way to the version of our old corps that existed between 1999-2001

Glad I wasn’t following the activity during that time. Saw enough in fighting stupidity 1974 and 1984.

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

If you are not sure what the point would be in forming a drum corps today, you may be in the wrong forum.

Yea, just make something, focus on getting kids behind instruments and holding flags and see where it goes. Put them in parades, raise some money, and build the volunteer/staff base, and cycle them out as kids get older and move on. That's where it starts. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

If you think every corps out there is full, you haven't been paying attention.  And if anyone wants to start a local corps, you don't need anything related to The Cadets to do it, but amazingly, very few people will do so.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 2:36 PM, LabMaster said:

I don’t believe there is any coming back for Cadets.  No money now, no money coming, only money going for debts and huge legal bills.  Then the legal issues themselves on top of the cost of them.  All their assets are gone.  They would be starting from scratch.   Less than scratch actually. They need money and support.  Lots of it.  And the cavelry is not coming I’m afraid.

Sadly, I agree.  If the Cadets BOD had any desire to regain DCI 's  membership lost in January, we would have likely expected  a press released by the Corps by now. The BOD would have selected their new Corps Director, and have had regular, perhaps weekly, BOD neetings to come up with a workable plan to return, and with how they intended to retire debt, and plausible fund raising endeavors to make the return realistic .  But to my knowledge, none of these things have happened since August. I Dont believe the BOD is even meeting to discuss such efforts. My guess, their pending lawsuit is now their focus of their monthly meetings. ( if they are even holding monthly meetings anymore ).   The people I talk too that are or were connected to the Cadets are not talking about the Cadets in the present tense nor the future tense. They are talking about them in the past tense. Such a bummer.