A Great Article on The Cadets

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

You know what is no longer a recipe for success?  Permanent corps management with rubber-stamp BODs keeping them in place.  That strategy has not aged well for Cadets, Capital Regiment, or Pioneer.  Even the indestructible Santa Clara Vanguard has been wounded just for leaning in that direction. 

The board of directors should provide oversight, not allow individuals employed by the corps to entrench themselves more inextricably than Malaguena in the Madison Scouts repertoire.

Amen

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually many alumni loudly pine for Latin jazz shows as the way to succeed.  then they continually point out (insert Malagaguena year here) as one to repeat

Latin jazz = out of date and no longer can be successful?   I’m not connecting the dots here. That’s ok, I probably shouldn’t be going on about Madison on a Cadets thread. 

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

You know what is no longer a recipe for success?  Permanent corps management with rubber-stamp BODs keeping them in place.  That strategy has not aged well for Cadets, Capital Regiment, or Pioneer.  Even the indestructible Santa Clara Vanguard has been wounded just for leaning in that direction. 

The board of directors should provide oversight, not allow individuals employed by the corps to entrench themselves more inextricably than Malaguena in the Madison Scouts repertoire.

That's my observation as well. It can be a lot of work, and all of those efforts are countered by voices and votes on the board that just prefer to avoid the hassle. 

Imagine if you will approaching the D Day invasion beaches in your landing craft. Then someone says, hey, how about we all take a vote to either 1) storm the beaches and get shot all the hell or 2) just circle around and around until someone else takes the beaches and established a safe landing zone. 

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone wants to be in the picture erecting the flag over Iwo Jima as seen on Time Magazine. 

As for SCV, BINGO has been the element that has saved them. Bingo is SOOO RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!! it has been abused for decades, and when turned around we were netting nearly $1,000,000 a year more than Blue Devils for several years. It took COVID, and a horrible decision at that time (COVID) to terminate all volunteer staff and replace them with a new full time paid staff to finally defeat the rich market benefits of Bingo. 

If it wasn't for Bingo, and the one strategic move they followed through on to BUY their BUILDING they would have been done a long time ago. 

As for everyone else.............. I'm only repeating what others are now vocalizing as well. The activity is a net loser economic proposition. It will only succeed when folks give more to it that the activity puts back into the community. 

A challenge World Corps face is becoming disconnected from their local communities. Imagine how easy it would be for me to take up a strategy to attack SCV's local community that is sucking Bingo Fraud out of the community and all the members and staff are flown in to participate in the non profit that provides no local programs or serves no local members, nor participates in no local performances. Wouldn't other more LOCAL nonprofits want SCV's poorly run and nontransparent Bingo Market Share? 

The Blue Devils for example can leverage BDB and BDC for those local connections and have other entertainment groups for just pep band stuff in the Bay Area. The BDA Corps is more or less a luxury for them as a non profit. It's sucking out just as much as any other top tier world class corps from it's community, but BD breaks even with the B and C corps in terms of community goodwill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually many alumni loudly pine for Latin jazz shows as the way to succeed.  then they continually point out (insert Malagaguena year here) as one to repeat

Props to you for recognizing Malaga.

Now, maybe I am not looking back far enough... but I am not seeing Madison critics meeting any of the characterizations given here.  Certainly not the "insert Malaguena, all problems solved" fiction.  As much as people like to poke at the bear while it is caged, we (myself included) should try to be fair about it.

(Plus, I need to save my best outrage for if anyone blames all Madison ills on females.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Latin jazz = out of date and no longer can be successful?   I’m not connecting the dots here. That’s ok, I probably shouldn’t be going on about Madison on a Cadets thread. 

they want it done as it was done before.

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Props to you for recognizing Malaga.

Now, maybe I am not looking back far enough... but I am not seeing Madison critics meeting any of the characterizations given here.  Certainly not the "insert Malaguena, all problems solved" fiction.  As much as people like to poke at the bear while it is caged, we (myself included) should try to be fair about it.

(Plus, I need to save my best outrage for if anyone blames all Madison ills on females.)

it's not just here, though it has been said here too.

26 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they want it done as it was done before.

I don’t know. I’m just not seeing that. Not since several years ago. But anyway…. I don’t see why a Latin jazz based show wouldn’t work. Just make it some stuff they haven’t done before.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

A Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass show could work well for a smaller Open Class Corps. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 11:50 AM, Richard Lesher said:

The Blue Devils for example can leverage BDB and BDC for those local connections and have other entertainment groups for just pep band stuff in the Bay Area. The BDA Corps is more or less a luxury for them as a non profit. It's sucking out just as much as any other top tier world class corps from it's community, but BD breaks even with the B and C corps in terms of community goodwill. 

I have said this for many years about Blue Devils. Having the B and C corps, the Diabalo Wind Band, their music lesson program, Special Needs Guard, BD entertainment drum lines and guard stuff, and other educational clinics and projects that they run locally and around the state help them keep plenty of local/regional youth involved with the corps. That brings in local parents/volunteers who want to help with a range of things. They are well respected in their community. Years ago I was looking at one of the Concord, CA chamber of commerce websites and one of the first things you saw in the video they had posted was of Blue Devils. Yes, the A corps is a nice luxory but you are correct that it's all the other local things they do that keep them funded because they get lots of help from local people who love what they bring to the community. 

This is something many corps have not built, including The Cadets...sadly. I know they tried with YEA; and while I do not have all the answers I have heard they burned too many bridges...and of course they kept moving the corps and burning more bridges. 

Edited by jwillis35