A Great Article on The Cadets

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

That happened to me in Williamsport the first year of DCA there. 

and amazingly YEA didn't run it

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Sounds about right.  You just have to grin and bear it. I once had a parent sitting behind me making fun of the corps my son was in.  I wanted to turn around and say something so badly, but I didn’t.  

It’s not just band parents. There are also science parents who can’t understand why their kid’s volcano didn’t win a Nobel Prize. 

• Haha 1

Interesting development from the case. The judge appears to be dismissing “The Garfield Cadets” for lack of prosecution. 

I don’t pay for the legal website service so I can’t see the entire document. Not sure if this is just a formality since the Garfield Cadets don’t technically exist anymore so they’re just cleaning up the parties listed or the case is being dropped in full. 

Edited by TheOneWhoKnows
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

"The Worst Band Parents Ever"

Jeff was really young when a lot of this happened so I'm not sure how much he knows about.

The HS no longer exists. It was merged into another school in Central Pennsylvania. in the late 70's it was arguably the finest small marching band in the country (under 50-60 musicians) with a really great Director- very kind, developed talent from his students. Never a problem then that anyone heard of. His son was also fantastic, ended up in the Crossmen HoF.

He gets a job offer @1980 for a school that has a good program with three times the kids and offers him twice what he's currently paid. He leaves and turns that program into a Wrecking Ball in Pennsylvania for the next 15 or so years.

That's when things go bad. They hire an individual right out of college, my guess was to save money. They weren't bad, they weren't a bad person, they weren't untalented but who could really replace this guy right out of college? The band came down to earth and other bands started to beat them. After about two years the Parents rioted and had the District get rid of them before they got tenure.

They then managed to hire an experienced guy, who was also a really good and decent fellow, who already had led a pretty successful program. He manages to dig them out of the hole but after about two years, he ends up with stress related illnesses and runs to another program where he takes that program and makes it flourish. The word on the street was the parents drove him to near insanity. He was a lot happier when he got out of there. You could see the relief on his face.

They then managed to find someone who had things figured out. They brought in a very good design team and their shows were very airtight and complimentary. The total packages were fantastic, and that's what kept them above everyone. Here's where things unravel.

Sometime in the late 80's, the Circuit Championship had to be held indoors at Carlisle HS. Wind gusts in excess of 50 MPH, ice all over everything, and wind chill factors well below Zero. Their parents lose their minds. Standstill contest, no drill, they know that they're losing their major asset of having a total show. I'm working the floor entrance. They lose to someone who better handled the situation. Kids from this band are crying, The Band Parents are flipping out and outraged making all sorts of comments that this show should have been held outside. I glared at them and said, "Your children aren't gladiators." The loudest mouthed parent is obviously thinking of starting something, and I was ready to slug it out.

This guy is older. Word on the street a lot of those Boosters hadn't had children in that band for years and pretty much ran the show anyway. The Circuit commissioner gets an "AxxHxxe Certificate" in the mail with no return address. It wasn't hard to figure out the likely culprits. I didn't hear any other complaints from the other competitors.

This director leaves. Word on the street was they had enough of the Parents, especially after their obnoxious behavior in public, and the fit the kids had. The job comes open again. I need a job. Dad encourages me. I tell him what's going on. He helps me with a cover letter to the HS Principal stating basically that "The word on the street is that your Band Parents are out of control, and that they interfere with the director's ability to direct the program as they see fit to direct the program as professional educators. As the principal, you'd be my boss. If the Parents get out of line, will you have my back and get these parents under control?" 

Needless to say, I didn't get an interview. They find a decent guy but by now the program's a wreck and he's pulling every stunt in the book like having suspended cymbals "WOOOSH!" ing at the end of nearly very phrase to try and mask that they can't end a phrase together. They're down to 16 musicians (including percussion) trying to play 8 note chords. The same old big-mouthed clown who hadn't had a kid in the band for years and nearly beat on me over the gladiator comment nearly attacked me for pointing these things out quietly to someone within his earshot once.

The whole mess died when they merged with their next-door rivals. Because of the hatred that both schools had for each other, and the parents had for each other, all their sports programs and extracurricular activities crapped out and haven't recovered 35 years later.

So, that's the story of the Worst Band Parents Ever. Obsessed with winning over education taking place and wanting to send their kids on an icy field in 40+mph wind gusts and sub-zero Wind chill. And I frankly don't feel bad for them. I do feel bad for a generation of kids that need an activity like this to get them out of the depressed little town they live in and deserve better.

Edited by BigW
cleanup and grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Jeff was really young when a lot of this happened so I'm not sure how much he knows about.

The HS no longer exists. It was merged into another school in Central Pennsylvania. in the late 70's it was arguably the finest small marching band in the country (under 50-60 musicians) with a really great Director- very kind, developed talent from his students. Never a problem then that anyone heard of. His son was also fantastic, ended up in the Crossmen HoF.

He gets a job offer @1980 for a school that has a good program with three times the kids and offers him twice what he's currently paid. He leaves and turns that program into a Wrecking Ball in Pennsylvania for the next 15 or so years.

That's when things go bad. They hire an individual right out of college, my guess was to save money. They weren't bad, they weren't a bad person, they weren't untalented but who could really replace this guy right out of college? The band came down to earth and other bands started to beat them. After about two years the Parents rioted and had the District get rid of them before they got tenure.

They then managed to hire an experienced guy, who was also a really good and decent fellow, who already had led a pretty successful program. He manages to dig them out of the hole but after about two years, he ends up with stress related illnesses and runs to another program where he takes that program and makes it flourish. The word on the street was the parents drove him to near insanity. He was a lot happier when he got out of there. You could see the relief on his face.

They then managed to find someone who had things figured out. They brought in a very good design team and their shows were very airtight and complimentary. The total packages were fantastic, and that's what kept them above everyone. Here's where things unravel.

Sometime in the late 80's, the Circuit Championship had to be held indoors at Carlisle HS. Wind gusts in excess of 50 MPH, ice all over everything, and wind chill factors well below Zero. Their parents lose their minds. Standstill contest, no drill, they know that they're losing their major asset of having a total show. I'm working the floor entrance. They lose to someone who better handled the situation. Kids from this band are crying, The Band Parents are flipping out and outraged making all sorts of comments that this show should have been held outside. I glared at them and said, "Your children aren't gladiators." The loudest mouthed parent is obviously thinking of starting something, and I was ready to slug it out.

This guy is older. Word on the street a lot of those Boosters hadn't had children in that band for years and pretty much ran the show anyway. The Circuit commissioner gets an "AxxHxxe Certificate" in the mail with no return address. It wasn't hard to figure out the likely culprits. I didn't hear any other complaints from the other competitors.

This director leaves. Word on the street was they had enough of the Parents, especially after their obnoxious behavior in public, and the fit the kids had. The job comes open again. I need a job. Dad encourages me. I tell him what's going on. He helps me with a cover letter to the HS Principal stating basically that "The word on the street is that your Band Parents are out of control, and that they interfere with the director's ability to direct the program as they see fit to direct the program as professional educators. As the principal, you'd be my boss. If the Parents get out of line, will you have my back and get these parents under control?" 

Needless to say, I didn't get an interview. They find a decent guy but by now the program's a wreck and he's pulling every stunt in the book like having suspended cymbals "WOOOSH!" ing at the end of nearly very phrase to try and mask that they can't end a phrase together. They're down to 16 musicians (including percussion) trying to play 8 note chords. The same old big-mouthed clown who hadn't had a kid in the band for years and nearly beat on me over the gladiator comment nearly attacked me for pointing these things out quietly to someone within his earshot once.

The whole mess died when they merged with their next-door rivals. Because of the hatred that both schools had for each other, and the parents had for each other, all their sports programs and extracurricular activities crapped out and haven't recovered 35 years later.

So, that's the story of the Worst Band Parents Ever. Obsessed with winning over education taking place and wanting to send their kids on an icy field in 40+mph wind gusts and sub-zero Wind chill. And I frankly don't feel bad for them. I do feel bad for a generation of kids that need an activity like this to get them out of the depressed little town they live in and deserve better.

Good grief. 

2 hours ago, BigW said:

oh yes, i know all of the details and was at the show inside. worst gym possible too...so small

4 hours ago, BigW said:

Brother you should see the parents in Little League Football. 

Ten year olds playing on the field, with parents acting like nine year olds in the stands. 

And Lord help you if you have to deal with the parents who think their kid is the next Joe Montana, and can't understand why their son isn't above reproach, and why he isn't getting superstar treatment from the coaches. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Brother you should see the parents in Little League Football. 

Ten year olds playing on the field, with parents acting like nine year olds in the stands. 

And Lord help you if you have to deal with the parents who think their kid is the next Joe Montana, and can't understand why their son isn't above reproach, and why he isn't getting superstar treatment from the coaches. 

No lies detected.  That’s why Jim quit coaching football.  The parents were terrible. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

No lies detected.  That’s why Jim quit coaching football.  The parents were terrible. 

One of my fellow Chiefs I was stationed with in San Diego was a volunteer coach for Pop Warner football. 

One day he asked me if I wanted to volunteer to coach. I told him no I couldn't handle it and would end up choke slamming someone thru the bleachers. He laughs and says "Bro the kids aren't that bad".........my response.........."I wasn't talking about the kids, I was talking about the parents".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

One of my fellow Chiefs I was stationed with in San Diego was a volunteer coach for Pop Warner football. 

One day he asked me if I wanted to volunteer to coach. I told him no I couldn't handle it and would end up choke slamming someone thru the bleachers. He laughs and says "Bro the kids aren't that bad".........my response.........."I wasn't talking about the kids, I was talking about the parents".

Man, on that one.  I used to officiate flag, peewee, junior high, and some high school football.  The day I knew I needed to quit was when I was officiating a 11-12 year old tackle football game.  This kid kept going down injured and then would come back in 2 plays later.  We as officials had no power to stop the kid from coming back in but I asked a coach what's going on.  The coach said the kid basically had no cartilage left in his knee but his dad is forcing him to play and putting pressure on the coaches to play him (apparently he was high enough in the organization to get away with it).  That, that day was the day I told my wife I was basically done and quit doing peewee immediately and then all officiating a year later.  To this day I don't regret the decision.  Some parents just ruin it for everyone.

• Like 3