A Great Article on The Cadets

2 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

One of the things to keep in mind is that everything in this case is based on the standard of care or best practices as they were at the time of incident.  While there are more protective measures in place today within DCI, the individual corps, and pretty much every other youth organization... that wasn't necessarily the case 40 years ago.  That's the basis they have to argue upon, and not necessarily what's going to provide the best optics in the current "me too" era.

Yeah I’m looking at it as DCI is defending that they did what was legal at the time. Having said that they need to get the word out to all participants and supporters that things are a lot different in 2024. 
And wondering how much of this is costing DCI in legal fees and how that will affect operations 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wish that instead of softball Dan Potter questions some real journalist could ask some real hard questions & get real answers from Nick B.

I also  that until all the legal process is complete (Inc SoA & anything else that might pop up between now & then) that DCI’s lawyers will strongly advise that no public comments should happen.   Again- sound legal strategy & optics/doing the right thing are at odds with one another.  

You mean Nate but I knew who you meant.   I wasn’t expecting much and it delivered what I expected.  Don’t forget that Dan refused to speak to Tricia Nadolny several times.  

• Thanks 1

One of the things to keep in mind is that everything in this case is based on the standard of care or best practices as they were at the time of incident.  While there are more protective measures in place today within DCI, the individual corps, and pretty much every other youth organization... that wasn't necessarily the case 40 years ago.  That's the basis they have to argue upon, and not necessarily what's going to provide the best optics in the current "me too" era.

Measures may not have been in place, but the standard of care was no different than today. Don’t F the kids.  My grandparents would leave their car keys in the car. That didn’t make stealing a car legal. They left the door to the house unlocked.  That didn’t make burglary legal. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Time were different. Sure. Society was different. Sure. If by that you mean, people couldn’t imagine rampant sexual abuse by people in authority was going on, and thus stringent safeguards were not in place, yes I agree. But at the same time, the standard was exactly the same as it is today:  DFTK!  

I never thought it was a good idea for staff to date members but I saw it all the time way back when.  I once had a staff member call and ask if I’d go to a party with him and I hung up the phone. I mean he was ancient to my twenty year old self. A thirty year old.  I didn’t tell my mom what the call was about either because she would have 💩

• Like 1

What part of DFTK is so hard to understand?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You mean Nate but I knew who you meant.   I wasn’t expecting much and it delivered what I expected.  Don’t forget that Dan refused to speak to Tricia Nadolny several times.  

Fixed the name thanks.  

IIRC Nate did make some sort of statement when something along the same lines happened in the water-boarding-sport thing he used to be in charge of. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Time were different. Sure. Society was different. Sure. If by that you mean, people couldn’t imagine rampant sexual abuse by people in authority was going on, and thus stringent safeguards were not in place, yes I agree. But at the same time, the standard was exactly the same as it is today:  DFTK!  

13 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Measures may not have been in place, but the standard of care was no different than today. Don’t F the kids.  My grandparents would leave their car keys in the car. That didn’t make stealing a car legal. They left the door to the house unlocked.  That didn’t make burglary legal. 

Sure DFTK has always been a standard, but society was different in that you didn’t talk about those things and there weren’t avenues to get help. That’s the difference. Society has changed now and we can’t hold prior decades to today’s standards. 

In regards to your points of car theft and burglary, well that’s a whole other societal issue pertaining to lack of discipline and morals in society. 

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

What part of DFTK is so hard to understand?

Looking at it from DCIs POV. If rules back then didn’t tell the corps to notify DCI, and DCI was not notified…. Dumps it all on the corps laps….

8 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Sure DFTK has always been a standard, but society was different in that you didn’t talk about those things and there weren’t avenues to get help. That’s the difference. Society has changed now and we can’t hold prior decades to today’s standards. 

In regards to your points of car theft and burglary, well that’s a whole other societal issue pertaining to lack of discipline and morals in society. 

I agree that society has changed, but by the 1980’s most colleges had policies about professors and teaching assistants not dating students, non fraternization rules in athletic activities, etc. For those of a younger age, more and more states were requiring mandated reporting. The rules in many cases were in place. One thing that has changed is how we view offenders. Offenders were never the people we know, or so many thought. We believed offenders looked like creeps, probably drove vans with interiors that looked like a lounge, and were obvious leches. If there were questions about someone who gave no clues about being an offender, often people would say “I know him, he’s all right.” Since most of us don’t want to believe the worst about people, it’s understandable. Looking back, it seems that when we discover inappropriate and often criminal behavior, it’s often not those we expect.