Ticket Prices

16 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

At this particular show, $55 are the lowest tier. 

Gotcha.   I guess my philosophy is that I enjoy live drum corps performances so much, I'll find the money.  Who knows how many more years we can all enjoy this activity on a warm summer evening with friends ?  I can always watch the video downloads from my nursing home bed later on in life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lance said:

So problem solved. You're not going and will be watching it online.  Now we know.  

Yes, I will be (for free on youtube), as will many other people. Just like we have been doing with movies since the pandemic when people realized watching at home on our large screens and nice sound systems was cheaper and just as good. Movie sales still haven't recovered from that prompting a change in how movies are delivered (more streaming releases). 

You can be flippant about that, but it just makes the business model less viable as time goes on and people are priced out of attending (or discouraged from attending after a hiatus).

2 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Ok, so full disclosure I haven't been to a show since 2015, and haven't PAID for a show since 2003 in the pocket between when I marched and when I started teaching...

...but I had the urge to look into seeing a local show this summer, and was shocked that a show with 6 corps is $55-$75. 

HAS THIS BECOME NORMAL? I can see a popular band at Roadrunner or MGM in Boston for that amount. I paid only slightly more to see the Postal Service and Death Cab when they were here in the fall. I'm seeing a slough of shows this Spring with popular groups and NONE of them even are that amount. 

Needless to say, I'll catch the show online. Just kinda baffled at how crazy prices have become for a non-regional, small show. 

Shrinkflation is a thing everywhere, DCI included.

I’m going to as many shows as I can this year because 1) I’m not getting any younger 2) I haven’t been able to go to very many lately because I’ve been in the drum corps desert in the summer.  Not anymore.

Mason is $45 a seat

Centerville is $43

Cincinnati isn’t on sale yet.

Canton is $65 a ticket section 222

DCI was something like $815 for two super three packages or whatever they call it.  Section 139

There’s a processing fee, too. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, craiga said:

I have no issues with the current show prices, particularly at local shows.

Remember,  the host corps gets 100% of the gate at these shows, which means that money goes directly toward feeding, housing, and taking care of the members.

Secondly,  the $55-$75 seats are probably high up in the center.  There are still alot of seats much less than that, and there is nothing wrong with sitting on the 35.  You don't have to be sitting in the GE judge's lap to enjoy the show.

Please God,  let's not start in on high ticket prices being caused by uniforms,  props, electronics,  or "dancing and prancing"...

.Host corps does not get 100% of the  gate.   Host corps has to pay DCI a fee for running the show, paying judges and corps.   Average cost is over $35,000 for a six corps show.  

I'm well aware of the costs associated with hosting a show.  My point was that the gate goes to the host.   Most corps find home shows to be a great source of income even after expenses, as it should. 

I am retired now and living on a fixed income, butI still regard going to a show as a tremendous value, as I have every year since my first show, which was the 1978 CYO Nationals in Newton, MA.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I mean, sure. Everything is more expensive. It just seems like another indicator that the DCI business model isn't exactly working anymore. That cost is prohibitive. 

well pro sporting events....way more expensive than DCI, yet stadiums and arenas keep getting filled.

it's not like the corps are getting rich on this. high end college or pro facilities aren't cheap. hell high school stadiums aren't cheap. letting outside groups in carries risk, there's utilities and staff costs....it's where we are. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well pro sporting events....way more expensive than DCI, yet stadiums and arenas keep getting filled.

it's not like the corps are getting rich on this. high end college or pro facilities aren't cheap. hell high school stadiums aren't cheap. letting outside groups in carries risk, there's utilities and staff costs....it's where we are. 

I'm not arguing any of that, I'm simply arguing the cost/benefit analysis. There exists a financial tipping point where the benefit of seeing corps in person no longer provide a significant enough value to justify the cost, when you can watch the shows for free pretty ubiquitously at home.

Again I'll use the cinema analogy...$20 tickets per person, $30 in concessions, parking costs and inconveniences to get to the theater, vs. an essentially free or very cheap experience at home with a lot of the same elements. It just becomes hard to justify. 

Since the show is somewhat close, I'll probably go watch some lots and then head home. Not exactly what they anticipate when putting something like this together.