A history of DCI judging and scoring, and the movement away from music emphasis

39 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

And over the last ten years dating back to 2014, what corps won with a "golf applause", because I can't think of one. 

Won total?  Probably none?  In the spread of corps a LOT probably got more effect than they should have perhaps?

7 hours ago, ironlips said:

That seems a bit of a stretch. Would you expect that for a baseball game?

I understand the notion though, and there have been "applause meter" shows in the past. The corps, for the most part, found these rather unsatisfying.

Jim F- didn't you perform in some of those in the Mid 70's with Westshore? I think the Red Carpet Association ran some of those when the hosts couldn't afford a judging panel.

I remember guys like you calling them "Clap Shows", and indeed they were pretty much looked down upon. 

Basically, a competitive group is submitting itself to an intense peer review with established rubrics. Even in that wild and wooly period that's what members wanted, even though in many cases they'd take a beating.

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

And over the last ten years dating back to 2014, what corps won with a "golf applause", because I can't think of one. 

Looking over the past ten years, GE judging resembles this:

200px-15puzzle.jpg

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Looking over the past ten years, GE judging resembles this:

200px-15puzzle.jpg

Ya, that seems a little sus.

9 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

2008 was probably the best example I can give........yes a bit further back, but one of the most blatant examples.....if I am wrong, watch the videos.........zero comparison between response for the top 2 corps, yet the one that received much, much less audience response actually won the caption, albeit by .05.  Perhaps "golf applause" was a harsh term........still, there have been times where a corps clearly won over the audience more than the others, yet was "shunned" by the effect judges..........you have already stated that you do not believe audience response should be a factor at all, so on that point, we can agree to disagree.

28 minutes ago, BG984 said:

2008 was probably the best example I can give........yes a bit further back, but one of the most blatant examples.....if I am wrong, watch the videos.........zero comparison between response for the top 2 corps, yet the one that received much, much less audience response actually won the caption, albeit by .05.  Perhaps "golf applause" was a harsh term........still, there have been times where a corps clearly won over the audience more than the others, yet was "shunned" by the effect judges..........you have already stated that you do not believe audience response should be a factor at all, so on that point, we can agree to disagree.

2008? When MySpace was still a thing? 

Fair enough. 

But then again all of our kids that are performing today are doing 10lbs of s..t in a 5lbs bag according to you. So yes we can agree to disagree. 

36 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

2008? When MySpace was still a thing? 

Fair enough. 

But then again all of our kids that are performing today are doing 10lbs of s..t in a 5lbs bag according to you. So yes we can agree to disagree. 

If you think that all of today's arranging is "musical", then we will definitely agree to disagree.....and it is not every group, but certainly a majority of them would fit the description accurately, IMO......I don't blame the kids; they play what is given to them to the best of their ability.........and many arrangers are trying to "keep up with the Jones'".....however, I think my description of many (not all) of the percussion and brass books, sadly, is accurate.....just my opinion...........

13 hours ago, BG984 said:

Not exactly, but I do feel that audience response (and it is on the current sheets as "engagement") should be considered when judging effect...........I think that if a corps "brings the house down" at the end, with multiple standing ovations during their program, and another gets "golf applause", and a politely forced standing ovation only at the end, that perhaps the second group should not win effect..............

engagement tho isn't as cut and dried as one thinks. geography can play a part. at say Crowns home show are the fans going to be more engaged for the hometown team? Sure! Should the judges solely feed off of applause? Nope. remember bringing the house down may not be universal at every stadium. Homerism is real

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1