Ten Year Anniversary Of Felliniesque

On 3/17/2024 at 5:54 AM, Terri Schehr said:

I first saw it on a cow pasture that they held the show at in Metamora, Illinois.  I told Jim that no one is beating that.  

Wouldn't shock me if Betsy the Cow and the rest of the herd stopped grazing to give BD a standing ovation lol. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Wouldn't shock me if Betsy the Cow and the rest of the herd stopped grazing to give BD a standing ovation lol. 

Allentown gave it a rousing ovation, at a time when the crowd there was continuously blasted as being ABBD

• Like 2

Beautifully crafted show. Guard almost steals the show they were so wonderful and weird. As much as I loved the coats that year I don't think there was any doubt who was the winner that year. Definitely top to bottom one of the best of all time!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Allentown gave it a rousing ovation, at a time when the crowd there was continuously blasted as being ABBD

I took a friend that night. This was her intro to drum corps. Told her she shouldn’t count on ever seeing a better show. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

I took a friend that night. This was her intro to drum corps. Told her she shouldn’t count on ever seeing a better show. 

I think Allentown was the night BD put in the finals closer if i remember correctly. I am envy of all of you that was there to witness it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Outside of finals this past summer, I have never attended a DCI show east of the Mississippi River. Was there any truth to crowds back east purposely not rooting for BD or corps from out west in general?

I dunno that I saw outright 'not cheering for them' but a mixture of 'hometown homerism' and 'unfamiliarity with their show' could be read that way. 

I remember shows in Indiana we went to when we were kids, the midwest corps had their fans and alumni that would cheer louder for their homerisms, but recognized the performance levels and cheered for those moments from the West corps too.  This like mid 80s to early 90s.  I recall Tommy getting a somewhat tepid response in 1990 in Ft. Wayne. But the general buzz was more "the Blue Devils came and we didn't get jazz?" sort of disappointment than any hostility about being the Blue Devils

Annapolis has been my go to as of late and BD hasn't done that show when I've gone.  It's a Cadets show and crowd for the most part historically.  SCV got lots of praise in 2016 with Force of Nature.  This year Mandarins sort of caught them all off guard.  I don't think a lot of the crowd were 'flo watchers' and had no idea what was coming.  So there wasn't much buzz taking the field.  But by "Take me to Church" there were people grooving in the stands with them.  And the spinners got an "oh my god...this is insane...i can't belive they're doing this" reaction around me and nods of appreciation as to what they were seeing.  

But nothing like when Cadets came on of course and they were roaring and buzzing for their own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

I dunno that I saw outright 'not cheering for them' but a mixture of 'hometown homerism' and 'unfamiliarity with their show' could be read that way. 

I remember shows in Indiana we went to when we were kids, the midwest corps had their fans and alumni that would cheer louder for their homerisms, but recognized the performance levels and cheered for those moments from the West corps too.  This like mid 80s to early 90s.  I recall Tommy getting a somewhat tepid response in 1990 in Ft. Wayne. But the general buzz was more "the Blue Devils came and we didn't get jazz?" sort of disappointment than any hostility about being the Blue Devils

Annapolis has been my go to as of late and BD hasn't done that show when I've gone.  It's a Cadets show and crowd for the most part historically.  SCV got lots of praise in 2016 with Force of Nature.  This year Mandarins sort of caught them all off guard.  I don't think a lot of the crowd were 'flo watchers' and had no idea what was coming.  So there wasn't much buzz taking the field.  But by "Take me to Church" there were people grooving in the stands with them.  And the spinners got an "oh my god...this is insane...i can't belive they're doing this" reaction around me and nods of appreciation as to what they were seeing.  

But nothing like when Cadets came on of course and they were roaring and buzzing for their own.

Yea that's in line with what my son said. 

He said initially the crowd seemed to be sitting on their hands, but by the end, the crowd was on their feet. Almost as if the Mandarins earned their respect and approval. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Outside of finals this past summer, I have never attended a DCI show east of the Mississippi River. Was there any truth to crowds back east purposely not rooting for BD or corps from out west in general?

The ABBD/Cali corps animosity in Allentown was real, at least in the 70s-90s. The Crossmen and Cadets fans in the early days had a real chip on their shoulders because they felt BD and SCV would just come onto their turf and try to show them up. 

• Like 2