Ten Year Anniversary Of Felliniesque

On 3/15/2024 at 1:34 PM, Chief Guns said:

Can't believe it's been a decade already, but here's to the greatest on field performance I have ever seen live. Felliniesque is an absolute masterpiece. To quote the fan sitting near me at the Glendora show in SoCal that year............"I hope DCI has an Alien Drum Corps from outer space competing at Finals this year, because nothing on this planet is beating that!"  

I first saw it on a cow pasture that they held the show at in Metamora, Illinois.  I told Jim that no one is beating that.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Kids indeed. Remember that season Brandon Olander was in his first year with BD, at 16 years old! Unbelievable. 

My impression was that the chemistry that corps had was unsurpassed, in the sense of everyone buying in completely to the concept and the staff and MMs figuring out how to perform both as a single organism and as individuals empowered and with the responsibility to create specific characters and personal moments within the larger show context. While MM technical skills might be argued to have improved over the last decade, that chemistry is always the gold standard for any corps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, lawdn said:

My impression was that the chemistry that corps had was unsurpassed, in the sense of everyone buying in completely to the concept and the staff and MMs figuring out how to perform both as a single organism and as individuals empowered and with the responsibility to create specific characters and personal moments within the larger show context. While MM technical skills might be argued to have improved over the last decade, that chemistry is always the gold standard for any corps.

Well said brother!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2014 should be in consideration by fans  as one of DCI’s most entertaining Top 12’s of all time. It was a great year.

1992 and 1989 are probably in the conversation of being the benchmark years for most entertaining Top 12.  2008 comes close, as the Top 7 that year were on fire at Finals. But 2014 in my opinion is the most entertaining 12th place to 1st of  the 21st century.  

As 2014 relates to the Blue Devils, I think of I where they came from in the two shows prior to Fellinisque, and what was missing. 2012 and 2013, although brilliant in terms of the visual and music along with execution, were not shows that ultimately were embraced by a large audience. Universal love, less likely. 

You can sense the fresh approach BD took in 2014, and in hindsight, see how their designers must have set out to start of a new era. They seemed to get back to a showmanship approach that could really connect to the audience. They have Gordon Goodwin create a piece for them. They add in more  broadway tunes, specifically from Chicago. And ultimately the overall show with its style and story of a film being created from start to finish, brings back a theme that an audience can relate to. And to innovate by building  the show organically, piece by piece…. What you may start out with in June, becomes layer upon Iayer of new ideas as tour progresses. This became, I think, the greatest innovation of that show. 

The same could be said for their competition that year. Carolina Crown, SCV, Phantom, and of course, Bluecoats, equally impressing by adding electronics to their show in a way we had never seen before.

2014 was a year many corps were shifting into a new identity. But doing so in a very entertaining way. 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 4

Because of this thread my wife and I watched the show tonight and were blown away. I had had forgotten just how brilliant it really was.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Dmlkmen said:

2014 should be in consideration by fans  as one of DCI’s most entertaining Top 12’s of all time. It was a great year.

1992 and 1989 are probably in the conversation of being the benchmark years for most entertaining Top 12.  2008 comes close, as the Top 7 that year were on fire at Finals. But 2014 in my opinion is the most entertaining 12th place to 1st of  the 21st century.  

As 2014 relates to the Blue Devils, I think of I where they came from in the two shows prior to Fellinisque, and what was missing. 2012 and 2013, although brilliant in terms of the visual and music along with execution, were not shows that ultimately were embraced by a large audience. Universal love, less likely. 

You can sense the fresh approach BD took in 2014, and in hindsight, see how their designers must have set out to start of a new era. They seemed to get back to a showmanship approach that could really connect to the audience. They have Gordon Goodwin create a piece for them. They add in more  broadway tunes, specifically from Chicago. And ultimately the overall show with its style and story of a film being created from start to finish, brings back a theme that an audience can relate to. And to innovate by building  the show organically, piece by piece…. What you may start out with in June, becomes layer upon Iayer of new ideas as tour progresses. This became, I think, the greatest innovation of that show. 

The same could be said for their competition that year. Carolina Crown, SCV, Phantom, and of course, Bluecoats, equally impressing by adding electronics to their show in a way we had never seen before.

2014 was a year many corps were shifting into a new identity. But doing so in a very entertaining way. 

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think Gordon Goodwin's son marched with BD I think 2014-2015???

still the best top to bottom drum corps, show and performance i have ever seen

• Like 7

I didn’t get to Allentown or finals in 2014 but did get the chance to see “Felliniesque” in Atlanta and the following evening at NightBEAT. For me, it’s a fan friendly show  that caught me by surprise, especially after “Rewrite of Spring” the previous year. It told a story, had humorous moments, and was well executed. Blue Devils enthusiasts I know often love one aspect of their shows whether it be percussion, brass, guard, design, etc. more than anything but this show was a total package and won the crowd. It certainly caught my attention. I just feel old knowing we’re remembering it on its tenth anniversary!🙂

• Like 1

Saw this at Ft. Wayne when they had a "flat run" for the opener (from La Strada on, it was great though).  But it was clean as heck.  There were staff from other corps that were sitting up there and when the last note sounded, one just said, "16."  the other said "clean by July 8."

This was the show where Tilt caught fire.  Bloo didn't have the real ending on yet and there were still multiple jump runners (and the main jumper that was kept for the end actually overshot the catch group a bit and they barely blunted the head hitting the field...it was a bit scary).   They had the Ft. Wayne crowd eating out of their hand though.

It was clear though who was winning that show.  Bloo was one point back and that was all the closer anyone got all season.

This was also the show where BAC changed the opening drill for Animal Farm and I heard one of the judges behind me on his tape raving about the way they did the column shift now.  "That's so much more effective!"

Music City was open class and this was their season debut.  They had us sitting upright and paying attention.  The BD volunteer next to me was "whoa...that's open class?"

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My take on the 10 years since 2014 is BD is still stronger than ever but DCI is not. 2014....full force of corps and no real issues in regards to corps folding ect. Even Madison Scouts made finals. 10 years later.....BD still dominate but the activity...really on thin ice.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1