Just an Easter question regarding the music from GODSPELL vs. the music from JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

TCM played GODSPELL today and I realized how much I enjoyed the production as well as the music .I know JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR has been used  in DCI, most notably by Madison Scouts..Has anyone done a production of GODSPELL?..I think GODSPELL has played second fiddle to JCSS for a long time...I think I now prefer it vs. JCSS ..What say ye DCP folk?

• Like 1

1973 Cavaliers played a couple of tunes from Godspell. All for the Best & We Beseech Thee. 

• Thanks 1

Look up Plymouth Canton doing JCS back in 1993…more akin to modern drum with all the electronics, vocals, props, and body movement.  It’s like the anti Madison 1999 production of JCS…they were playing a completely different game than anyone else back in the 90s

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

According to DCX the last time any music from “Godspell” that was performed by a DCI finalist was “O Bless the Lord” in 1976 by Blue Stars. Some music was performed after 1976 but not by finalist corps. No one has performed any pieces since 2003. “Day by Day” was the top choice with a few “We Beseech Thee” and “All for the Best.” I’m surprised no corps ever performed “Turn Back O Man” which could have been a fun piece and am very surprised no one ever did “On the Willows” or “All Good Gifts” both of which could be effective pieces. The list was pretty long for “Jesus Christ Superstar.” “Jesus Christ Superstar” is more adaptable to drum corps, with 1999 Madison being the strongest and most entertaining version (it’s also one of my favorite all time shows), but “Godspell” is a better vehicle for schools and community theater groups. A poorly sung “Godspell” can still be an enjoyable evening if the cast has good comedic skills. A bad performance of “Jesus Christ Superstar?” I went to an outdoor performance in Portsmouth, NH a number of years back. If the great Augustine was correct when he said “he who sings prays twice,” this production was a prayer of lament. All the Heavenly Host of angels and saints could not save that production, and that’s putting it charitably on this Easter Sunday evening.🙂🐇🐣

• Like 1

i love Godspell....my HS did a really great version of it ( and WSS too...man did i have fun playing both)....but i'm not sure Godspell translates to the field as well....kinda of repetitious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both shows offer great music, Superstar being the the more musically sophisticated and Godspell the more accessible.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the iconic take on the former score by the Argonne Rebels. Fans and their fellow competitors loved it, but the pure musicality and seamless coordination between brass and percussion were woefully undervalued back in the Dark Ages of the adjudication system.

The Opies were far ahead of their time.

Godspell would play well today, given a treatment similar to the 'Coats "Lucy". It would stand out against all the darkness offered up by a good number of other programs.

Edited by ironlips
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1