Cadets and bankruptcy

28 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and yes people will say some there should have known...well, apparently if people didn't come forward, all you had was rumor and innuendo if even that. you can't blow whistles on rumor alone.

The problem is not with those who wouldn't come forward or any supposedly unfounded rumors, it's with the institution that allows, enables, or encourages retaliation against anyone who does. The reddit thread points to that happening throughout the org's history.

3 minutes ago, FormerXyloWhiz said:

It's even sadder that along with this terrible culture of abuse, hazing, emotional trauma, physical trauma, and sexual assault came innovation, incredible performances, extraordinary education, life-long friends and family, and literal magic on the field. 

Finally someone else is putting this to words. Triumph over odds that never should have been levied against young people.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

GH getting some 'shout outs' on the social media comments. Glad some folks still realize his contributions to this situation. 😡  

He is named specifically on line 36 of the Complainant Westenberger Lynn Vs The Garfield Cadets. At least the amended version. I have read other versions where its on different lines. But you get the point. He is named specifically. I would post a link but I doubt it would stay up for long. Google is your friend here. 

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, jimwolf359 said:

Is there any indication that DCI will make a statement about this or will they just ignore what happened to one of their Founding Member Corps?

I'm guessing the latter. 

FHNSAB

Wonder how hard the legal expenses will hit DCIs budget. And if anything will be said publicly. 

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Drum corps gets you out on fantasy traveling circus band trip and the abnormal becomes normal.  Or at least it did when my bf and I marched.  It’s hard to change an ingrained culture. We’d say “back to the real world” when we’d return from finals. 

Guess I was lucky my first year was with a corps getting back on the field. Rode with board members, sat in the back and kept my mouth shut. Got to hear how much red ink there was and how lot of people were holding their breath the corps would make it for the following year. 😦

No wonder I’m surprised the activity is still around

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder how hard the legal expenses will hit DCIs budget. And if anything will be said publicly. 

Unlike the Cadets, DCI likely (hopefully) has insurance to cover that.  They existed at the time and would have had a policy.  Even if they have since changed policies, whatever policy they had in place at the time of the incident should theoretically have coverage.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, craiga said:

Well, there's Boston, established in 1940 as The Most Precious Blood Crusaders.  Nobody can accuse them of not changing with the times, on or off the field. 

Thanks. Yes, I forgot Boston. So Madison, Boston, and Cavaliers. Is that it for the corps that are left from the 20s, 30s, and 40s? 

1 minute ago, FormerXyloWhiz said:

Unlike the Cadets, DCI likely (hopefully) has insurance to cover that.  They existed at the time and would have had a policy.  Even if they have since changed policies, whatever policy they had in place at the time of the incident should theoretically have coverage.

What insurance from the time of the incident would cover harassment or abuse claims? Not an insurance expert but if they have policy from a different company…..🤷🏻

30 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

a correction...YEA did succeed with USBands and all its other names over the years. in many ways thats what kept the corps afloat. and when the end of YEA came, that was the only thing of value left when the corps itself wanted to go off on it's own.

I also feel horrible for all of those that were in Cadets2, the winter guard and CWP for their few years of existence. 

I will definitely take your word for it. You were closer to what went on, or at least had better insight. I guess I was never impressed with YEA. I knew GH had burned bridge after bridge...but you are correct that the USSBA (and eventually USBands) was a money maker. 

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What insurance from the time of the incident would cover harassment or abuse claims? Not an insurance expert but if they have policy from a different company…..🤷🏻

It's a Tort - so liability coverage should/could apply.  It's civil, so it's the equivalent of a personal injury claim.  That said your question is apt and there are scenarios where coverage is denied depending on illegality.  Really all depends on the contract language.  If we are to assume that DCI did not do anything illegal themselves for this incident that is in breach of contract, i'd imagine they would be covered and insurance is providing the defense counsel for it (hopefully!).

• Thanks 1