Cadets and bankruptcy

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I always thought they were a little like Stockholm Syndrome. 

On the field, presenting their 2024 production ‘Stockholm Syndrome: The Music of Abba’, Drum Corps International is proud to present…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

So the corps wasn’t in the hole in August? I remember seeing in many places about transportation issues and employees being let go long before the inactive announcement was made.

No one was let go until it was clear that the org was going to close. They did let go the ED but that was not related to funding. The Corps was on track to come out in 2024. The end of settlement discussions also ended the Cadets future.

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Quit moving the goal posts on me. First you said you don’t see anyone glamorizing. Now you say you don’t see anyone giving him a pass. You’re killing me. 

i don't see glamorizing though. i see some comparisons yes, and face it....for all the bad, there was good too.  if not for him in 1980 recruiting down south, the corps probably dies. it possible for someone to do good things and still be a vile excuse of a human being at the same time. history is littered with examples. when it comes to him, really, in a way it's like the judge said to CAE...ya gotta take the good with the bad. for all the bad, you can't just cancel out the good. it just means you hammer the bad that much more.

i remember at OC finals in 2002, at retreat they had age outs giving speeches, and the Cadets kids all sounded like brainwashed clones, saying they wouldn't be where they were without the corps and him. my group and people around us rolled our eyes. but the next 3 nights we all went ####### over the corps performance.

and thus is the conflicted legacy the organization and the corps suffered from for years here, RAMD, Soundmachine and everyone else.....how do you separate the greatness on the field from him? it was ###### hard, and this was before 6 years ago this week. Add on the messes after Scott was pushed out, the lady losing lawsuits over a fraudulent charity being brought in, moving 5 hours further away from the loyal alumni base, and boom here we are. So much on field greatness reduced by off field mismanagement and literal crime. and a lawsuit, against someone that isn't him, at a non corps sponsored event was the final straw.

so maybe you understand the conflict people have. i'm not and never have been enamored or under the sway. i've advised kids going in what to expect. i wouldnt talk them out of it if their heart desired it, but i wanted them prepared for what they may encounter. i know someone that ended up teaching there trying to talk kids out of going there a few years prior. Heros often fall hard, and thats what you're seeing people express right now. Amazingly the corps survived at all after 18.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thinking more like Gotterdammerung where the head burned down everything around him. And this final mess could have occurred during the GH trial and publicity 

if only that one witness wouldn't have decided against testifying

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

No one was let go until it was clear that the org was going to close. They did let go the ED but that was not related to funding. The Corps was on track to come out in 2024. The end of settlement discussions also ended the Cadets future.

interesting. ok. i never said they wouldn't come out, but finances weren't good.

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Let’s not over glamorize Hopkins. He ran a summer marching band. Brought in top talent who designed championship shows for him. Drove them away. Tanked the band. Assaulted girls and was convicted. Now he sets up tee times for you. A dickish loser with a psychopathic personality. Not worth anybody’s time of day. 

Nailed it! 

Sad part is I feel certain Hopkins has a bunch of sock puppet accounts and uses them to glorify himself on these social media sites and forums and he has lackeys that do his bidding for him that think just because of the creativity he created that THAT is what they believed in and followed is WHY they want to follow him into the hounds of hell. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I thought I read and that it was confirmed, that assets were gone or returned months ago.  There was no money left and no new incoming revenue or plans for funding.  All of which preceded lawsuit progress.  The bankruptcy decision and notifications are more recent than the dissolution of assets and corps administration as well.

The descision to file for bankruptcy was made when settlment discusions broke off. Once the decision was made for the orderly unwinding of the organization the board then started to sell off assets to help cover the cost of winding down (return of camp fees, staff pay, vendors, etc). Just because it was not announced to the public does not mean plans were not underway. This was all TRIGGERED by the end of settlement discussions and the move to trial which the Corps could not afford. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

interesting. ok. i never said they wouldn't come out, but finances weren't good.

They were OK. Not going to say it was great. But they were well positioned for the 2024 season. Even had a new director in place and everything. Compared to Cadets in prior years they were in much better shape for the Cadets. 

The descision to file for bankruptcy was made when settlment discusions broke off. Once the decision was made for the orderly unwinding of the organization the board then started to sell off assets to help cover the cost of winding down (return of camp fees, staff pay, vendors, etc). Just because it was not announced to the public does not mean plans were not underway. This was all TRIGGERED by the end of settlement discussions and the move to trial which the Corps could not afford. 

The decision to shed assets occurred in September not at the most recent progress of the legal/civil proceedings.  Camp fees were returned because most all money was gone and there were no plans being made to generate more revenue.  That was made clear months ago not recently.  The move to trial was the final finality of it all and chapter 7 filing the conclusion.  It was becoming well known  by October , Cadets were done. It was hope against hope that it was not ending.  But there were no assets left, nothing coming in at the time plans would need to be made to come out in 2024.  Saying they were planning a full return is dubious at best.

• Thanks 1