Jump to content

DCI Annapolis now TBD


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I recall seeing once the Gallaudet football team having bass drum on sideline & when hit it, vibrations tell center to hike hall.  Is this still the case?

Ex-friend (walked out on wife hence the “ex”) went there. Story of their football team decades ago. Beat a high ranked team that got over confident. Other team players were saying out loud what they were going to do because “they can’t hear us”. No.. but they can read your lips. 🤦‍♂️

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ex-friend (walked out on wife hence the “ex”) went there. Story of their football team decades ago. Beat a high ranked team that got over confident. Other team players were saying out loud what they were going to do because “they can’t hear us”. No.. but they can read your lips. 🤦‍♂️

Not sure i've heard that one directly.  Lip reading isn't the magical thing TV and Movies would have you believe.

The huddle has its orgins with us though.

Edited by KVG_DC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Not sure i've heard that one directly.  Lip reading isn't the magical thing TV and Movies would have you believe.

The huddle has its orgins with us though.

One of our former lab managers is completely hearing impaired; he graduated HS in early 1960s.  He can read lips; says that back then they weren’t allowed to use sign language.  But it has to be a one-on-one conversation.  Hard to follow a group conversation. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Word choice
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Not sure i've heard that one directly.  Lip reading isn't the magical thing TV and Movies would have you believe.

The huddle has its orgins with us though.

True about the lip reading not being a 100% help. Need person facing you, good lighting and facial hair not covering lips. (I fail on that one). From what I read the players were talking directly to G players. “I’m going to run right at you”, etc etc.

Not an expert on hearing impaired but had a deaf (word used at the time) congregation in our church. Learned a lot interacting with them, once a month combined services and the ASL class I took (and sucked at).

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Deaf or hard of hearing is still the preferred term by most of us, particularly those who sign.

Hearing impaired measures one by one's deficit after all.  

Even in the best of conditions, the best lip readers get about 25%-30% by lip reading and the rest by context or a lucky guess.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2024 at 5:13 PM, kevingamin said:

U of MD and Towson have also hosted US Bands regionals (the two US Bands shows I've announced, in fact), so they are familiar with hosting marching arts shows and could handle a DCI show.

UDel could be an option too

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

UDel could be an option too

Newark was the home of the Crossmen in the late 90's. Don't know what kind of an impression they left there but that area may be ripe for a show

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, totaleefree said:

Newark was the home of the Crossmen in the late 90's. Don't know what kind of an impression they left there but that area may be ripe for a show

Stadium got a very nice renovation a few years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Galen said:

Stadium got a very nice renovation a few years ago.

it's hosted a BOA regional at least once recently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...