DCI Annapolis now TBD

1 hour ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Unfortunately for most VA high Schools, the stadiums are too small.  Annapolis has drawn well in the past.  They need a stadium with a similar capacity and most VA high schools just don't have that.

This is a big stadium.   When kid was in band earlier 00s we went to several competitions there.  Comparable to Annapolis w/o upper deck.  

The perfect is the enemy of good. 

7 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Unfortunately for most VA high Schools, the stadiums are too small.  Annapolis has drawn well in the past.  They need a stadium with a similar capacity and most VA high schools just don't have that.

No high school stadium in VA comes anywhere close to that. Biggest I'm aware of are Salem (already on the calendar), Hermitage which was already mentioned, Woodson in Fairfax (Very tall home stand, if not a bit lopsided, turf and a track EYgKCBqXYAACScz?format=jpg&name=large and a couple in the Hampton/Norfolk area which are ok size-wise but don't measure up to the other standards DCI expects. I've longed for something at the VB Sportsplex for years but it's never come to fruition:
P1017047_d1450_e072c72d-5056-a36a-07e3d7

Edited by Galen
  • Thanks 1

So, I decided to act as travel planners need to know if this show will be canceled. 

I called HQ DCI & asked.  

They said that the show will happen; they are finalizing details with a new location.   But try as I did no hints were given.  

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So, I decided to act as travel planners need to know if this show will be canceled. 

I called HQ DCI & asked.  

They said that the show will happen; they are finalizing details with a new location.   But try as I did no hints were given.  

I would hope that if it wasn’t in the general vicinity, they’d give you a little inkling as to the new location.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I would hope that if it wasn’t in the general vicinity, they’d give you a little inkling as to the new location.

i would imagine they will try and keep it as close as possible because of fans and tour flow. Del State may not be a bad option

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I called HQ DCI & asked.  

The fact that DCI is still calling it "TBD MD" leads me to believe they want to keep it in Maryland.  Going south into VA would put it close to Salem on the same night.  Moving it to Delaware takes it some distance away from the Balt/Wash area which is where I believe DCI wants to keep it.

My gut still tells me it will come down to U of Maryland or Towson State.  Both are less than an hour from Annapolis and meet the requirements of size and turf. 

Edited by Old Corps Guy

I could easily do either of those. With a slight preference for Univ of MD if only cause its closer to me.  The Annapolis trip though is a nice trip and I hope they can get back in the venue down the road.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

I could easily do either of those. With a slight preference for Univ of MD if only cause its closer to me.  The Annapolis trip though is a nice trip and I hope they can get back in the venue down the road.  

I selfishly want it on the Virginia side of DC.  I suppose U of MD works too.  Or FedEx Field (or is it now Commander’s Field?).  

ETA if in Delaware (as some advocate) I do have the US13 - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel option that avoids DC completely. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I selfishly want it on the Virginia side of DC.  I suppose U of MD works too.  Or FedEx Field (or is it now Commander’s Field?).  

ETA if in Delaware (as some advocate) I do have the US13 - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel option that avoids DC completely. 

FedUp Field is not an option since that is natural grass.  Props destroy grass.  Turf is the only real option these days in DCI.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

Plus FedEx is an absolute dumpster fire of a venue.

• Like 2