One Hit Wonders

who were heading for the limelight for a few seasons, but then faded away!!!!

for example, '74 Purple Lancers, '75 Royal Crusaders etc..

Or, give a nod to the memory of corps that were consistently good. but just couldn't crack the higher echelon (that old, "with 30 more members they'd be AWESOME!!!!!" thing)

for example Watkins Glen Squires, Osage Presicionnaires, etc.

Blue Devil Legend, I know you'll represent for Royal Commodores......

I'm going to have to say '76 Marquis......midwest vets, I'm sure you can remember back in the day.........................

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Devil Legend, I know you'll represent for Royal Commodores......

don't be so sure, as I have said in the past, '74 was my LEAST fun year in DC.

Corps that couldn't get over ther hump:

1. Brassmen L.I. NY (Where's Mickey Mouse and Carmen)

2.CMCC Warriors (Shaft and rifles)

3. Maple City Cadets

4. Racine Scouts

5. Nesi (Sp?) Ambassadors (Bud, the King of Beers)

6. Stockton Com. (Rainy Days)

7. Des Plaines Vanguard (Planets and the wedge)

8. Gen. Butler V.

9. Black Knights Ill. (Crown Imp)

10.Gen.Knights (Ill.) Solid corps

11.Marion Cadets (Hoffmen in 78)

12.Freelancers (Good Jazz)

13. North Star (The big lips and good perc)

14. SunCoast

15. Bleu Raiders (Great tenors)

16. Memphis Blues

17. Pride of Cincinnati (A very bad crash)

18. Norwood Park... One of the first with triples

All of these corps had great runs but faded away. I'm sure there are more.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I'm going to have to say '76 Marquis......midwest vets, I'm sure you can remember back in the day.........................

Saw 'em the night they beat Blue Stars for the first time. One of those moments of utter jubilation you only see every once in a great while.

On the local SoCal level I'd have to say the Lynwood (Ca) Diplomats.....began as a 'B' corps to the Lakewood Ambassadors, went out on their own in a management dispute and were always hovering around the bottom middle of the pack of the local "A" corps throughout the late 60s and early 70s...picking off VK at a standstill contest early in the season (1971) when I took over the horn line.......poor kids were passed around to local instructors in those days faster than Grandma's fruitcake at Christmas time and sometimes not with the best of intententions.

They had their shining moment in 1971 but had some pretty nasty management vs instructors problems as far as communications went....it was pretty much "us" (kids and instructors) against "them" (management) and folded/merged/folded over the next two years.

On the local stage in 71 The Diplomats started to really show some excitement and were starting to get their own fans, the "underdog vote", if you will, against the more established and frankly much better executing Anaheim Kingsmen and The Velvet Knights.

Then obscurity.

Ah well, was really fun while it lasted in 1971.

Still managed to produce Stan Knaub in his first full field corps instructing job (what was he, 18 then?), and Wayne Bergeron of Big Phat Band fame came out of there as did 72 Anaheim Kingsmen snare drummer Lance Kellog and Drum Major Jim Good, and Willie Polacek, a legendary local percussionist and judge. Tom Float came out of The Diplomats.....

Heck! We fed some good talent to Anaheim and VK and I'm pretty proud of that! And personally lucky to still be able to have a lot of those (then) kids as friends 30 some years later.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Well, I do recall LOSING to Marquis in a show, probably in Fon Du Lac, that year. We won all captions EXCEPT for Brass, which, we were told, was being judged by their arranger. Guess who did win brass? DUH! Who says there's no bias in drum corps?

Go figure!

Rocketman - ?????????????????

ampssuck

Not intended to be mean in any way, shape, or form, but, Southwind.

On the cusp of Finals in 2000 (don't wanna say threshold, since that's the show that they lost to), but have declined severely the last couple seasons.

This is directed to OLD Time Drummer.

The Freelaners made finals quite a few times and had been around quite a long time before they finally went inactive for good. Their highest placement was 7th place and that is not too shabby. I do not think they belong on your list. It is not as if they just came and went in a few years.

This is just my humble, and I am sure biased opinion.

Edited by jmc5682

Rocketman,

Sorry about you guys losing to the Marquis in 1976. I remember that show in WATERTOWN, WI and if you believe everything you hear and read, then the judge(hmmmm.. seems to have been more than one judge in brass in those days) was not the arranger for the Marquis. The judging panel was an ordinary panel from the Midwest.

Seems the Blue Stars and Phantom have a hard time recognizing that a corps like the Marquis???? in 1976 could go out and beat them in June. Even a blind squirrel will find a nut once in a while.

The Marquis was pretty much a local corps building from 1974 to 1976 into a 16th place group at DCI. Not too bad for, in those days "a weekend corps". Just a bit of credit would be better than ripping them.

Getting back to beating Phantom, the only bad moment for that show was that Finale was rained out and it was Drum Majors only in their school gym. It would have been great for Phantom to march and play by us at Retreat on the field. I know we had marched by and recognized the power and the execution of Phantom for many years.