Why do people HATE the Cadets?

ahhh so then.........Cavies, BD, SCV, Phantom and all the rest of the upper class of D1's, according to your statement, should all be hated because they're all too good.

toushay

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh George - What a surprise to find you here! How about updating the blog for those of us that have been following... It seems a bit odd that for all there was to say for the past months, we have heard nothing since early last night... :angry:

Well, certainly an interesting and contentious post - haven't seen one like it for other corps quite honestly. The answers are ALL in this thread for anyone who cares enough to think about this-- pretty amazing. Just to get it out of the way up front, I marched as a Garfield Cadet in the mid 80s, and another corp as well...

Anyway...

1. The Cadets style, and there certainly is one, is fairly consistent and really did change drum corp quite a bit in the early and mid 80s. That change was NOT welcome all that much by many, but it was respected as the best stuff goin back then.

2. The marching and playing is simply more physically demanding year in and year out. Including this year. I am simply describing the coordination and endurance and skills necessary to perform their shows in order to obtain a decent score. It is a tougher go. We can take any of the last 4 years DVD sets and do it corp by corp. It isn't necessarily a '"better" show. Nor does it deserve to win every year. The shows are technically more sophisticated and also LESS ACCESSIBLE to many of the unititiated or "otherwise inititiated" in the stands. Lets face it, GE runs low and technical merit tends to run a bit higher. That's what I am saying.

3. The mention of "cadet bowling" and the baton twirling being the only notable thing this year are examples of what I am saying. Inaccessible to many and a high degree of difficulty where accidents can happen. The answers are in the posting here and these are examples as well.

4. Finally, on the issue of George, the comments here and there are unfortunate. There is some really good stuff for corps and peformance and the activity in him. A real shame to see the mud; as we all know, sling enough mud and some sticks.

5. However, there are issues this year at that level that can be brought in a less muddy fashion; I do think that some of the personality reformation stuff should have been a little more carefully considered with regards to web posting. While I appreciate honesty, soul rebuidling, etc, use of the corp midseason as the vehicle is a very careful line to tread. Bringing in judges, personal feelings towards them, infidelity and other issues certainly doesn't help the season and could be harmful depending on who and when the stuff comes up. It is difficult to know what nerves could be set off and who is carrying the clipboard on a given night.

6. This year was a great show; I saw it. Twice. The stands in Houston were buzzing after the Cadets, with near-silence after the Cavies show- I was one of the few clapping loudly after the Cavies performance. ( george taught us about sportsmanship back then BTW)

7. So what happened? My opinion; the Cadets were there- probably not to win but close and good- so the staff wanted more, redesigned, and it was too tough to bring it off to perfection. It didn't work well. Faults were there, other areas of the corp suffered with the redesigns. The rest is history. A very promising championship year turned into just another very good and entertaining year. Perhaps underappreciated. Perhaps not. I feel bad for the corp but certainly congratulate the Cavies on their victory.

Good night.

I was in attendance at DCI this year and the Cadets got quite a big crowd reaction multiple times during their show for their efforts......(Especially in Prelims)....they ARE respected

Triple Forte

I didn't experience any Cadet-hatred at Lincolnshire last night.  I have seen them a couple of times live this season and then last night at the theater.  I think there are a couple of components to negative reactions to the Cadets:

1.  "Guilty by association" with George Hopkins, with whom many people disagree over issues like A&E. 

2.  Not really being into the shows they're producing.  They've gotten applause when I've seen them, yes, but not really the kind of applause that you get when people really dig your show.  You can tell the difference.  The show is just leaving people (not everyone, of course, people have different tastes) flat.

3.  Semi-controversial issues in their shows.  The fireman thing of 2002 and the baton twirler this year.  Fans say that they are pushing the envelope of creativity; non-fans say that these elements are distracting from the actual drum corps show.  Neither is necessarily right; it's a matter of perspective.  Back to the first point, some people feel like these sorts of elements in the show (as well as the decade-plus long push for A&E) are Hoppy's way of proving that he can do anything he wants in the idiom.  Right or wrong, those people naturally react negatively.

I don't HATE the Cadets. I just think their shows of late have been cheesy and bando, in contrast to the early 90's shows and before which were very innovative. As of late theirs shows have followed the same formula year in and year out, and this year was no exception. I think "Up

WithUpWithPeople's post hit it right on the head.

Edited by bluestarsfco

As of late theirs shows have followed the same formula year in and year out, and this year was no exception.

What formula would you be referring to?

I was in attendance at DCI this year and the Cadets got quite a big crowd reaction multiple times during their show for their efforts......(Especially in Prelims)....they ARE respected

Yeah, but those are just regular fans who buy tickets and souvies and stuff. They're not like us super-smart DCP types! B)

(But I think this show is still better than the '98 and '99 ones...  :)  )

Mike

What? 2004 better than 1998? Are we talking about Cadets here? That 98 show was incredible, 2004 put me to sleep...I was at quarter-finals, and the moment that received the most applause from the crowd was when the baton-twirler dropped.

...  But, I was amazed last night (having seen the 04 show for the first time at the Cinema) how pedestrian a show the Cadets put on the field this year.  Definitely not a top 4 show.  Hardly a top 12 show.  I believe the Cadets' placement last night demonstrates the influence of reputation and political clout in scoring.   

Vic Russell

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about the Devs, and to a lesser extent, the Cavs...

Why, oh why, do people disrespect the Cadets so much??  I just don't get it.

I was at the Harrisburg telecast last night, and people around me just went totally sour when the Cadets took the field.  First, they were annoyed with a harmless pep talk.  Then they failed to acknowledge what is obviously a very talented group of kids.  People wouldn't even clap after the most exciting moments!!!!!  <**>

I find this type of behavior disgusting.  You know, people used to act this way towards Star of Indiana.  Star ended up leaving.  Star is GONE from the field now.  And the irony is, FINALLY people are respecting what Star did when they were in DCI.  Would it take the Cadets leaving DCI to earn people's respect?

Some of this is nonsense, but unfortunately what you said above is true. I am one that doesn't like the pep talks and the constant pacing back and forth and the Mussolinni style nodding that Hoppy will do on the sideline during really impresseive chunks of the Cadets' shows. But, I also find it equally disturbing when people blurt out their issues will this for the world to hear at shows. There are some things that are better left unsaid. Just because you feel it, doesn't mean you have to say it. "Keeping it real" is just another way of saying "Keeping it rude".

But, NOONE that knows anything about drum corps could disrespect Cadets. Noone disrespected Star either. They were just consistently rude about voicing a personal displeasure about what the corps did on the field. Some of those people are now back tracking like crazy and revising history so that they won't feel so bad about driving such a good corps out of the activity. Yes, I blame the fans for Star leaving, not Cook.

Some people need for there to be a bad guy. Star filled this role beautifully. Now Cadets' are sinking into that role. Get used to it Cadets' fans. The fans didn't like Bill Cook and now they've decided not to like Hoppy either. Its totally unfair, but, that's just the way it gonna be.