Where was your favorite Competition?

I have a few that I remember...

NT Open in North Tonawanda (well this was right down the street from my house)

Golden Triangle Invitational (K-W, Ontario)

Sheffield, PA (before they used the HS football field, right there on the fair grounds)

Marion, OH (US Open) boy, this was the place. remember when you had to cut your concert number for prelims?

Butler, PA (A-I Open) I guess going to the pool and seeing all the drum corps babes in bikinis was nice LOL

Hammondsport, NY - this is a weird show because it was literally on the banks on Seneca Lake. We started in the back about 10 feet from the water

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Franklin Field in Philly. Used for DCI finals in '75 & '76. The stands were like a wall rising sharply from the field. From the front sideline, the angle up to the box was more than we bargained for and the people were great. Madison was a great field too. The fans were very supportive of everybody. I even enjoyed Whitewater and the smaller Stillwater stadiums because of the people. Ithaca was great even if they treated '74 finals as the Muchachoes home show.

The most interesting stadium I ever marched in, not to be confused with a good stadium was the air dome in Pontiac Michigan. The corps had to enter via air locks to get inside. Accoustics were terrible inside. And you had to 'pop' your ears everytime you entered or exited the place due to the 'roof' being held up by air pressure.

Whitewater -- by far.

It was the only place we slept in beds all summer.

Our prelims show was just sick. We were so pumped to see SCV and BD.

Our finals show?

:worthy:

I used to ALWAYS love performing in Allentown for some reason. I just dug it! I also loved Whitewater, Madison, Atlanta and MONTREAL! :worthy:

American International - close to home and we were usually on very early in the prelims, so the rest of the day and the night show were ours to enjoy.

You mentioned Sheffield - that was a daytime show if I recall, connected to some kind of town festival. I remember the last time marching there right after a huge rainstorm, standing in ankle deep water on the 50. It was a fun show!!

Besides the obvious Golden Triangle Championships, our home show, the two in the states that I love the most are...drum roll please:

American International in Butler PA, small town show but great people and very

enthusiastic(sp) crowds, they really got you blood pumping before you did your show!!!!!

U.S. Open - Marion, Ohio great quantity of drum & bugle corps both in the OPEN

Class and "A" Division - I would think there must have been at least 75 to 100 corps each year there. Corps you heard of but never get to see and corps you see but never heard of before. The crowds were always great there as well, especially in 1977 Open Class Finals. Rain, rain, rain, the show wasn't over till 3:00am.