How did Santa Clara win in 89?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing Phantom Of The Opera in the theatres the other day, it prompted me to watch SCV 89 again, and after watching this, and then seeing Phantom's show from that year, I don't understand how SCV won. SCV 89 is probably one of my favorite shows (gotta love the company front of Music Of The Night), and I love Santa Clara, I hope to at least try out for the corps, but it seems clear that Phantom should've won, and I know many others agree. Santa Clara alot of problems just musically (I can't help but notice all of the fracked notes which actually ruined musical moments).

i say the same thing over and over again- 89 being the only legacy series dvd i bought because of phantom's show primarily. the way that show gets to me, i just throw up my hands- don't know what to say.

speaking of...can anyone refer me to where i can get any random pictures of vanguard and the masks?....or was that 88? regardless...ne where i can find pictures of that?

I have to say that 1989 all the way around was probably one of my greatest years in drum corps, it was also my rookie year. I was at finals (watching from the stands, dagburnit!) and saw first-hand the awesome performances by Phantom and SCV. I can tell you that I truly thought Phantom had done enough to take the title that night. SCV's show is still my favorite to date (followed by their '87 show). A lot of people may think that the ride cymbals in the middle of Phantom's show is what did them in, and maybe it is. You have to give them credit for an original take on that piece and for the fact that it was still played beautifully. I guess you can say that I am still mixed about that night, but I still believe that Phantom should have won their first title in 1989 and not 1996. If you were to look at a show and call it the epitome of the drum corps experience you would be hard pressed not to choose either one of these shows. As a matter of fact, I am going to go watch them right now.....

Edited by cvcontrabass

speaking of...can anyone refer me to where i can get any random pictures of vanguard and the masks?....or was that 88? regardless...ne where i can find pictures of that?

It was 1989 when the whole corps (except guard) wore the masks. Try www.corpsreps.com and look up SCV and hit "picture gallery". If not, just do a google search for 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard and see what you can get.

From my perspective, it was nice that we could argue about who should have won between a corps who had come in second for the 4 prior years and another who 3 years earlier was sitting in 10th place.

It was nice being able to argue about Phantom again!

Umm, because they've been done already? And almost perfectly as a matter of fact. Phantom did New World Symphony pretty well the first time, and they did pretty much the whole thing, where else would they have to go with it? SCV doing Phantom of the Opera again could work, because it's a 3 hour show, that's ALOT of music.

That's true but the same music is played over and over again throughout the show. They pretty much played all the music, and the did do it for two years.

I know there was a mistake or two, but '89 SCV won because of GE. From the costuming of playing members to the company front, there was no show in my opinion that has ever matched the GE of that show.

Good argument for a tie, then?

Same with 87?

Wash your mouth out with soap. I do though agree that '87 Vanguard had as much right to win as Garfield.