I just realalized....well I did some time ago

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a video from 1976-1977 a few weeks ago. I saw a lot of similarity in the drill between the various corps. A lot.

The only problem with saying that is that there wasn't the freedom to do the same things on the field then as they do now. That being said, with all this freedom they have now, why do corps use the same types?

As a person who currently marches, and marched in the early and middle 80's, I have to say I like marching in my older shows more. This push toward speed makes it difficult to do any rifle work, and have control of your body, especially the way guard books are designed today. You can forget actually spinning the rifle because the tempo is just too fast. In the Renegades show last year, the colorguard had to do alot of running from drill set to drill set, even though my instructors said I was okay, I always felt like I was out of control when combining the rifle work, movement, and running together.

Drill design is actually one of the few things I like about todays drum corps. However, I am very bothered by the fact that some people think the quality of a show is based on how fast it moves. Bah! <**>

First of all I think drill is about motion, not static such as formations.

Why not a combination of both?

The "rotation concept" is a great tool, but too much gets boring.

Too much of anything is boring. That applies to running as well as dancing.

I like some drills of today, especially Cavaliers, and some of the old. But I can tell you one thing from marching a Zingali drill in 1986, that was HARD for me to do at 21 (my age out year). The year before (85) we did a Slyvester drill and it was tough too. So I know we didn't even stop the whole time in 86, I see alot of stuff from that drill in some of the later corps, like ideas Zingali was developing that came full force years later. It's something great to see. I remember in 86 I was in excellent shape after the season for all we had to do in that drill. I Look at the video of that show and still ponder how I did that then. :whistle:

I don't agree that all drill from the old days is as boring as you think, because if you think about it, it's just the beginning of the innovaters who made way for todays drill writing experts!

So you know I ponder how some of these kids do it now! :) Speed isn't always the best way, but Zingali taught us how to compose our posture and march while doing the drill fast and in step.

Edited by Lancerlady

I think this is just a case of people liking what they're most used to. While I don't always think fast is best, I find alot of older drill way too..slow. It doesn't seem to go anywhere. Of course, things started changing 83 and on, but before that, eh. Good shows though. Symmetry is almost just retro now, but that's just my opinion. I know I'm probably not the most "in the know".

Being an 80's brat, I got to be involved in those huge changes.

We went from old corps style to the new drill maneuvers in 84 (after Garfield stunned the crowds at dci 83).

Since I started in 1980 and since I ended in 1987, I can sincerely say that the earlier is much more difficult. High marc time, while playing a horn is quite a skill. While after that, learning drill was much more "at count 16, be on this hash mark on the 35".

And I was like "WTF? We're supposed to use EACH OTHER and NOT LOOK AT THE FIELD while we're doing a show!"

But it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Incidentally, I will never refer to Garfield as "the cadets of Bergen County" or "The Cadets".

I loved the name "Garfield". And it has more tradition. :P

Since I started in 1980 and since I ended in 1987, I can sincerely say that the earlier is much more difficult.  High marc time, while playing a horn is quite a skill.  While after that, learning drill was much more "at count 16, be on this hash mark on the 35". 

And I was like "WTF?  We're supposed to use EACH OTHER and NOT LOOK AT THE FIELD while we're doing a show!"

But it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Should have been around a few years earlier when all we had was the mid-field stripe and no yard markers. LOL, we practiced on a parking lot without yard markers. First time we did the show on a field with yard markers we found out how off we were from side to side.

See, I find the drill today much more interesting. I pull out my tape from 79 and I just get bored with it. And marching in the drumline was REAL boring back then. I don't think I passed the 45 on either side. Didn't get to see much of the field. Another aspect that I think has changed is the multi-intervals. I mean when I marched we would stay at the same interval for huge chunks of the show. Now it seems that every set has a different interval. From increased tempos and the number of sets, I really think the demands on the performers are much greater now. Whether you like it probably has more to do with when you marched. As I tell HS kids today, the music you listen to now will probably be the music you listen to for the remainder of your life. For most of us those years from 14-20 will give us our confort zone for life. There are exceptions, but generally that's the way it is.

Don