What Corps Sparked Your Interest

Obviously the corps you marched with played a role in you being a member of a corps but what CORPS that you saw/heard did you say, "NOW I like drum corps!"

My corps was the Royal Coachmen of North Tonawanda, NY but the corps that sold me on staying with drum corps was the 1972 Anaheim Kingsmen at the US Open. Saw them at finals and went WOW! I saw so many corps at prelims I was delirious on the way home seeing signs that looked like drum corps. What a feeling! I wanted to march and play like them.

And yours? Carry on

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a kid I thought the Westshoremen were it until I saw a real DCA show. The Skyliners, Hurricanes, Buccaneers, Cabs, and Sun were all there in 1969 and they all made quite an impression on me. Then years later DCI hit, but I was hooked by then. Oh, I almost forgot one real impression, the Yankee-Rebels and the unique color pre. WOW, made a 15 year old boy sit up and take notice. And I must say the solo work of Pittsburgh Rocket legend Riggie Laus,well he is best ever. Gosh I get chills all over again.

Obviously the corps you marched with played a role in you being a member of a corps but what CORPS that you saw/heard did you say, "NOW I like drum corps!"

My corps was the Royal Coachmen of North Tonawanda, NY but the corps that sold me on staying with drum corps was the 1972 Anaheim Kingsmen at the US Open.  Saw them at finals and went WOW!  I saw so many corps at prelims I was delirious on the way home seeing signs that looked like drum corps.  What a feeling!  I wanted to march and play like them.

And yours?  Carry on

The 72 US Open was my first show. Had end zone seats and could see the last guard girl step over the goal line exactly as the gun went off. What excitment!

I really loved everything about drum corps the first time I saw it. Other early memories are the Scouts, Argonne Rebels, Blue Rock (marching in US Open T-shirts becuase they got soaked on Saturday night) and Kilties.

My own favorite from the first time I saw them in 64 through 69 was the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights from Newark, NJ.

I came thisclose to joining them after the 69 season in my class 'B' corps, but I chose Garfield instead after spending time at both corps rehearsals. I even built the double tenors BS used in 70 from old single tenors. Garfield was just a better personal "fit" for me.

Mike

SCV, I saw them first at the California State Champoinships in '72 and was totally wowed.

1979 .I happenned to be in the neighborhood when the Bridgemen were practicing.I cant stop now.

Guess I'm one of the few who joined a corps before he ever saw one. :rolleyes: First time I ever saw corps do their thing was Hershey '74 which was about 7 months after I first joined. It was also about 4 months after the first corps I joined folded. :huh::huh:

To add to the weirdness, the concert side of Hershey stadium was sold out so I watched my first show from the back side with my family. Really a strange place to see your first show but pretty neat because you got to see some different things. Lets see, what made 16 year old drop his jaw and say "WOW, this is goning to be fun!!!".

Skyliners going back field on "Elks Parade" while playing FULL VOLUME. Think they were going for the echo effect off the back (concrete) stands.

Yankee-Rebels concert of "The Minstrel Show". Before each act of the Show a guy would run in front on the crowd with a card announcing each act. Last time thru, his pants would drop and show polka dot boxer shorts. (Hey the Rebs were a GE corps :) ). Funny thing was being able to watch a M&M judge check the guy while he hooked his pants back up. (What the #### is that judge looking for.) Also got to hear people in the crowd yell "JUDGE IT!" when two guys danced a soft shoe number (and another judge watching closely).

Hearing the crowd roar many times. Being on the other side really helped.

And of course the corps coming out with their "Take No Prisoners" style and sound of the street beats. Really thinking Cabs, Sky and Yankee-Rebels here. Soon as you heard that sound blasting thru you knew it was going to be an exciting night.

My dad marched with Garfield way back when. He took me and my marching band friend to the Atlanta show at the old DeKalb (in the south it's De Cab) memorial strdium in 1996. Spirit, Bluecoats, Phantom, and Cadets were there and others but they're the only ones I remember.

Cheers, :rolleyes:

Sean

w/Stp: