Favorite Drum Corps Personality

Tansea, in this case complications from pneumonia would be the answer.  After a long illness he got a pneumonia.

You know I'm not one to call someone out or dress down people especially in public but a few of these responses including yours above (I am only quoting yours because it was the last response in line about Zingali's passing) are absolutely beyond reproach.

101% disgusting in fact.

Have not enough people died from HIV/AIDS and their resulting complications that the word AIDS cannot be uttered even now in 2005?!

Did all of the people who left us during those dark & horrible days of the 1980's not pay a great enough price... that they lived, suffered and parished in total, abject silence... was that not enough silence?!

Is this day, today still those days? Am I sleeping?!

Is Reagan still waiting for his friend-Rock Hudson-to die before he can open his mouth and inform, get funding and begin to dis-alarm the masses?

Would Zingali want you to be hush-hush about this?

To actually sit and type all the words of innuendo that I've seen so far in this tread is an absolute insult to Zingali himself... The Human... The Visonary.

Shame on you.

Read about him here...

http://www.geocities.com/marchingresearch/wilsym99.txt

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, no problem here. I'm also gay. Although not sick. I lived through it too!

The whole "gay" thing in drum corps has always been hush-hush. I don't think she was being reproachable by not mentioning AIDS. I think it's just the stigma of sexuality in drum corps that's the problem.

RIP Zingali, Stanley Knopp, and whoever else we lost because of this disease.

Edited by apoch003

You know I'm not one to call someone out or dress down people especially in public but a few of these responses including yours above (I am only quoting yours because it was the last response in line about Zingali's passing) are absolutely beyond reproach.

101% disgusting in fact. 

Have not enough people died from HIV/AIDS and their resulting complications that the word AIDS cannot be uttered even now in 2005?!

Did all of the people who left us during those dark & horrible days of the 1980's not pay a great enough price... that they lived, suffered and parished in total, abject silence... was that not enough silence?! 

Is this day, today still those days?  Am I sleeping?! 

Is Reagan still waiting for his friend-Rock Hudson-to die before he can open his mouth and inform, get funding and begin to dis-alarm the masses?

Would Zingali want you to be hush-hush about this? 

To actually sit and type all the words of innuendo that I've seen so far in this tread is an absolute insult to Zingali himself... The Human... The Visonary.

Shame on you.

Read about him here...

http://www.geocities.com/marchingresearch/wilsym99.txt

Ya know, I would think if anyone knew George well, it would be LancerFi. She grew up down the street from him.

She helped with raising money last year for the Zingali Foundation. So becareful of who you say "shame on you" to. B)

"Brat Pack";

You left out "Lefty" Mayer, Bob "The Kid" BellaRosa and Walter Winkleman.

Elphaba

WOW, saw this and two big ###ed flashbacks hit me.

1) Spring (pre-season) 1974 or 1975 and we suck royally because the corps had been inactive for a full season and we were rebuilding with 50+% newbies. Larry Hershman says we will be stopping practive for a while so Lefty can talk to us. Had no idea who Lefty was but then this car with NY plates rolls up and the man comes out on his crutches. Halfway though his pep talk it hits me that he is taking an 8 hour road trip just to give a pep talk to a last place corps. My next thought is "Holy #### does this man care about Drum Corps".

2) Hearing that Lefty passed away DCA weekend. Same sense of timing as Mickey Petrone.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

ZenJones,

"Disgusting"? "Shame on you"?

My initial reaction to reading your post, presumably reprimanding some of our answers to the question of George's passing, was: "How dare you?"

How well did you know George? Did you work with him? Create shows with him?

Who in God's name are you to tell me how I may speak of him? He was my friend, and I mourn his loss.

You need not tell me to name HIV/AIDS. It has struck more than once in my family. How dare you be so presumptious?

Then I re-read your post and saw the sub-text. Your anger, though justified, is tragically mis-directed.

Is there anyone in the activity who doesn't know that HIV let to George's death? Only those living under a rock. The original poster may have known as well, referring to this as a "rude" question.

How we deal with these matters is personal. You must respect that. Personally, it would not have been my choice to put George's face on a flag and run it across a field. I wonder how he would have felt about that. But others saw it as a reverent tribute.

I suggest you save your anger for better targets.

Frank Dorritie

ZenJones,

My initial reaction to reading your post, presumably reprimanding some of our answers to the question of George's passing, was: "How dare you?"

Who in God's name are you to tell me how I may speak of him? He was my friend, and I mourn his loss.

You need not tell me to name HIV/AIDS. It has struck more than once in my family. How dare you be so presumptious?

Then I re-read your post and saw the sub-text. Your anger, though justified, is tragically mis-directed.

Is there anyone in the activity who doesn't know that HIV let to George's death? Only those living under a rock. The original poster may have known as well, referring to this as a "rude" question.

How we deal with these matters is personal. You must respect that. Personally, it would not have been my choice to put George's face on a flag and run it across a field. I wonder how he would have felt about that. But others saw it as a reverent tribute.

Frank Dorritie

Bravo Mr. Frank, Bravo! I couldn't have said it better myself, except that I was taught by him and he was a wonderful teacher as you were. I had the great honor of performing the show you speak of! Or one of them anyway! Thank you for saying this so eloquently. :ph34r::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by Lancerlady

ZenJones,

Frank Dorritie

And that should pretty much put THAT to bed.... :ph34r:

Is there anyone in the activity who doesn't know that HIV let to George's death?

Apparently there is someone who doesn't know because someone honestly asked the question. Others clearly dodged the answer and I understand ZJ's reaction. I know ZJ and I've met Frank and I don't think anyone is trying to be malicious or hurtful. Both are quite talented and sensitive people. But, they are from different generations and have different ways of thinking. Everyone can agree that Zingali went too soon.

I spent 10 years in drum corps during the 70's. It was a great time for the activity

and the people that were involved.

Some men who were instrumental in getting DCI and drum corps to where it is now, are now gone. These men are Gayle Royer, SCV: Jim Jones, Troopers:

Bobby Hoffman, Bridgemen (at that point): Jerry Seawright, Blue Devils: and

Canadian legend John Robins, Dutch Boy/Flying Dutchmen/Northstars. There have been others that have passed away, but their influence has been more current.

How someone dies or from what is really nobodies business but the family. It's amazing how rumors get started and how some many people take the rumors as

fact.

We should be thanking, the families of these people for sharing their loved ones with their second family, their drum corps family. Losing a loved one, especially

someone who you have so much respect for, is never easy.

The Northstar Youth Organization, the parent group of the Dutch Boy Drum Corps, lost one of their founding fathers, John Robins. John's death hit a lot of people hard. However, the memories we all have of this Gentle Giant will be passed on for generations.

We as alumni of drum corps, should remember these gentlemen as they would loved to be remembered, for the work they did, for US. B)

Geez guys! I asked how someone died is all. Do you think George cares about that?

Here's a news flash, YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE. It's just a matter of when. Your kids are going to die, your pets are going to die, your plants are going to die.

But when I memorialize someone (And George was a personal hero of mine) I want to know how they went.... tragic or not.