some old corps photos

But it wasn't a pit until 1982. And that photo is definitely 1982, since 27 never grounded their keys before then.

My point was you could ground some percussion, just had to be on the field proper. IIRC Guardsmen had some sort of xylophone or marimba (not sure where one ends and the other starts) grounded on-field in 79 for example. Also not sure when it started being called a "pit" when it was over the front sideline. However, I bet it was Zingali, Delucia or Cesario that came up with the term.

I found this shot of our rifle section circa 1972.

RifleSection1972.jpg

These guys were even more amazing to watch in practice!

My point was you could ground some percussion, just had to be on the field proper. IIRC Guardsmen had some sort of xylophone or marimba (not sure where one ends and the other starts) grounded on-field in 79 for example. Also not sure when it started being called a "pit" when it was over the front sideline. However, I bet it was Zingali, Delucia or Cesario that came up with the term.

Yes prior to 82 you could ground percussion instruments but you had to carry them on the field (ie wear them) first. I'm guessing no one wore the wind chimes on a stand in the picture which is why I made the assumption that it was a grounded 'Pit' in front of the sidelines which started in 1982.

Yes prior to 82 you could ground percussion instruments but you had to carry them on the field (ie wear them) first. I'm guessing no one wore the wind chimes on a stand in the picture which is why I made the assumption that it was a grounded 'Pit' in front of the sidelines which started in 1982.
I was watching video of 1979 a couple of weeks ago, and at least one corps was marching a full set of chimes. That actually made the tympani guys look pretty cool.

I found this shot of our rifle section circa 1972.

RifleSection1972.jpg

These guys were even more amazing to watch in practice!

I love, Love, LOVE to watch all-male rifle lines, especially from the "old days"! They are just so much stronger than us puny girls LOL!

I love, Love, LOVE to watch all-male rifle lines, especially from the "old days"! They are just so much stronger than us puny girls LOL!

1975 Cavaliers' rifle line, with Rich Kemp.

75Rifles.jpg

Of course percussion could be grounded on the sideline or anywhere else, like the Kilts had stationary congas on the field in 1978, and corps used timps in concert forever, but the "pit" didn't happen until 1982. And Santa Clara was the first corps I ever heard call it the "pit," in 1984. Prior to that all we ever heard was "Mallet section" or something like that.

optimist.JPG

YEAH! Seneca Optimists! 1976? I don't see the conga's

Congas you say? Different years but here they are.

congas.jpg

Is that Daryl Langworthy playing congas?