some old corps photos

When we bought Seneca Princemen's uniform, we wore them at a local parade. The DM put us at parade rest and we all went, "WOW!" Even the two parade corps that were next to us turned quickly to see. We did it again and it got better! Yes, not good for the horns but it sounded darn cool.

Buckle slamming is a personal pet peeve of mine. I just could not understand why someone would try to break their horn.

I tried to get Freelancers to change the parade rest so that the horn would not hit the buckle, but the vast majority LOVED slamming.

I should have added that the unifiorms were a red version of Seneca Optimists Mellow Yellow tops with buttons.

Buckle slamming is a personal pet peeve of mine. I just could not understand why someone would try to break their horn.

I tried to get Freelancers to change the parade rest so that the horn would not hit the buckle, but the vast majority LOVED slamming.

Except the Euph line. Most of us were with you on that count, Chris.

Well, okay, those of us who had to march those chrome DEGs didn't care all that much. :ph34r:

You can just hear the bell of that mello crunching against that buckle now. "Parade Rest...'Chink'!"

I have so many great memories from St Joe Days and all the corps who wore those beautiful cadet uniforms during the sixties. Garfield, the Ridgemen, the Ramblers, the Crusaders, St. Rocco's, even the Bridgemen, St. Catherine's, St. Kevin's, Bluerock, Anaheim and I think a bunch of corps from the midwest and how could I forget the mighty St. Joe's of Batavia? I'm sure there are more.

FrankieCadet.jpg

At retreats you would hear each corps come to parade rest one after the other and it would be a contest in itself to see and hear which corps could hit those buckles and buttons in unison. The memory of that is quite vivid. Our uniforms were powder blue with black and gold accents white garrison sash adorned with chrome buckle - bright red Aiguillette on the left shoulder. Black pearl shako and Black plume.

This shot of Frankie Sadano - solo soprano 1968 at Evening With The Corps at Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

You can just hear the bell of that mello crunching against that buckle now. "Parade Rest...'Chink'!"

The "Parade Rest" was such a hype. In 1981 we actually incorporated it into the show right at the end of "Fire Dance".

Alas...the days of full retreat after every show is long gone.

I have to say that even if it made the night a bit long, I really looked forward to the retreat blocks and being on the field with the other corps. We were always trying to out do each other in one way or another. It got to be hysterical at times. The staff would stand behind us threatening death if we didn't shape up and properly represent. Good times. I loved the Freelancer buckle smack.

FrankieCadet.jpg

This shot of Frankie Sadano - solo soprano 1968 at Evening With The Corps at Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum

That's a great photo showing classic drum and bugle corps style!

(I can't remember a cadet uniform I didn't like...)

Here's a funny shot, 81 Garfild. Imagine today a corp with horn cases for mallet stands?

81-cadets2.jpg

More Garfield 81

81-cadets.jpg

81-cadets3.jpg