some old corps photos

I don't recall being rained on. You maybe right. After 38 years, my memory of '71 World Open isn't crystal clear. Good times!

I bought a DVD of Garfield at the 71 WO from the Haas family at drumcorpsvideos.com, and it doesn't appear to be raining, esp looking at the audience...not an umbrella or raincoat in sight.

Unfortunatley I will not be down. Are Ski, Beckman, Spilde, and Adams going to be there? If so Mike, you could stand in for me. I know it's a visual downgrade, but only a slight one. :blink:

Spilde.....did he havee a brother named Tim who marched Mad in the early 80s?? We had a Tim Spilde in BD in 84....flugelhorn, IIRC -- who came to us from Mad 83 and went back in 85 (followed a girlfriend to Concord, I think)

Edited by 84BDsop

I know you can pull that one off!

Say hi to the guys for me if you see them.

Have a beer for me, too!

Ummm...you're buying!

Garry in Vegas

Spilde.....did he havee a brother named Tim who marched Mad in the early 80s?? We had a Tim Spilde in BD in 84....flugelhorn, IIRC -- who came to us from Mad 83 and went back in 85 (followed a girlfriend to Concord, I think)

It was a whole family of Spildes that marched in Madison. One of the true Madison "family" participation families, with guys who marched pretty much all through the 70's and well into the 80's.

Tim (Spud) and Terry (Spif) were in the corps in the late 70's and early 80's, and almost all the boys got back together again for the MSARP 2006 extravaganza...

Dan,

Was I right about it raining on you at finals? Or am I wrong again?

I was in the stands on the 50 that night. No rain. Biggest drum corps crowd ever in Manning Bowl. 22,000 plus in a stadium with a 21,000 capacity. Best World Open ever, IMO.

I was in the stands on the 50 that night. No rain. Biggest drum corps crowd ever in Manning Bowl. 22,000 plus in a stadium with a 21,000 capacity. Best World Open ever, IMO.

I'm sure it was raining because I remember going under the stands just like last night in Toledo. It must have happened at prelims.

or am I......slowly los ing my mi n d? ? ?

I bought a DVD of Garfield at the 71 WO from the Haas family at drumcorpsvideos.com, and it doesn't appear to be raining, esp looking at the audience...not an umbrella or raincoat in sight.

I'm glad you mentioned the Haas DVDs. Those are on my short list of drum corps purchases. I understand the quality is pretty good. I look foward to seeing them.

I'm glad you mentioned the Haas DVDs. Those are on my short list of drum corps purchases. I understand the quality is pretty good. I look foward to seeing them.

Yes, they are pretty good...esp as they were recorded at night. I actually spoke to Charlie on the phone, and he gave me some background on how he and his late wife Jackie recorded the shows.

It went like this:

1 27th Lancers 87.000

2 Santa Clara Vanguard 86.650

3 Anaheim Kingsmen 86.300

4 Blue Rock 86.050

5 Troopers 84.650

6 Garfield Cadets 80.550

7 Madison Scouts 80.250

8 Cavaliers 80.050

9 Boston Crusaders 79.400

10 Blue Stars 76.700

11 DeLaSalle Oaklands 76.150

12 Argonne Rebels 71.950

Great shots BTW - we were there for the prelims - I seem to remember lots of penalties - Still the best weekend for Drum Corps - CYO, Danny Thomas, Open

Puppet

Please see the following for varying perspectives on the "Summer of '71". This is really a pretty good thread.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=108401