some old corps photos

As always, thanks for filling in the blanks, John! :)

[/quote=Malibu,May 15 2005, 06:10 AM]I can't remember if Tom Float came back to the scene of the accident or was in the truck when it turned over. All I know is we were traveling along with Spirit to California and came across this wreck. Our busses were older and much slower than their busses.....heck as you can see even their equipment truck was waaaay ahead of us.

You should have seen the look on the members of Spirit's faces when we all pulled up getting off our busses with their equipment..... :rolleyes: .......it was priceless!

1979a.jpg

Wow! That's the first pictures I have seen of the accident. I had no idea the wreckage was anything line that. The Crossmen really saved us that day. Rumor has it that the tow truck operator was going to try to upright the truck with all of the equipment inside had the Crossmen busses not pulled up and stopped them. It was just an incredible act of kindness on their part to pull our equipment out of the wreckage like they did. The amazing thing in looking at these pictures is that most of the equipment was undamaged.

The close bond that Spirit and Crossmen still have today had their beginnings on that eventful day.

Edited by jdn645

75_Promo.jpg

Bleu Raeder promo photo 1975

Could this be Regimente Militaire? I see the Bleu Raeders bus BUT I believe they merged with someother corps to form Regimente Militaire.

Those are bass drum/triple/tympani harnesses. They wrapped over the shoulders and ended at the collarbones. Web straps clipped to the harness and to the drum. There is also a waist belt.

They were not used for snares. Slings and leg rests were still the order of that day.

I'd say mid 60s through the early 70s.

VK used the same carriers for the tenors from 1970-73. Except we didn't have straps. We had metal poles with clips that went down to the carrier. No straps, and we carried them lower, not unlike today's tenor lines. Once I figure out this pic-posting doohickey, I have a pic of them from 1973.

OK, did the photobucket registration. Let's see if this works. If it does, I'm the tenor player on the left.

1973VKTenors.jpg

I should add that this pic was published in DCW in 1973. A few years ago I contacted Steve Vickers to see if he could find it. It took a little research, but when I sent Steve a date and site that the picture was taken, he e-mailed the pic as an attachment the next day. Then he sent me the original print. That print is 32 years old now, and still in pristine condition. I'll have to look around for some more VK pics, but there are some on the alumni site at http://www.adamland.net/vk

Garry

Edited by CrunchyTenor

72_BleuRaeders_TimToms.jpg

72 Bleu Raeders

they sure surprised a lot of people at DCI that year...brand new corps, makes finals.......#####in drumline

that center tenor there....it really kinda looks like Ron Theibedeux (knew him when he was director of Nite Express).....but I thought he played snare that year???

Edited by FrankBeMe

On the Bleu Raeder stuff...

1. They were Regiment Militaire in 1974 (with the Stardusters merger...1st time) and reverted back to the Bleu Raeders (when split from Stardusters) in 1975. There was another BR / Stardusters merger in the early 80's

2. If memory serves the tenors are (l-r) Ronnie Scheppegrell, Simo Martinez and Richard Flag. Ronnie Thibodaux was a snare, but I am not sure which years. I know that he was definitely on the line in 74.

3. Marty Hurly wrote book and taught early on and I believe is still teaching at Brother Martin HS in New Orleans.

4. Other info about the promo pic as I remember...the Williams family, Marty (dark glasses), Sherry, and Sandy (flags) were from Canton Ohio came to New Orleans and then moved back to Canton. The had been involved in the Bluecoats /Bleu Raeders as a family with their mom and dad volunteering for numerous things.

Edited by Bleu Raeder