DCI Classic Countdown leaves you dry.

49 to be exact. Chris Metzger. He was at the theater in Appleton Wisconsin. Still an excellent trumpet player.

I wish I could have been there with you, Chris, and my '75 brothers.

MYNWA

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were also at the Sunrise theater.  The first thing my husband said, where is the surround sound and volume.  I can understand there being no surround sound for the earlier corps., but the '89 SCV and forward, there should have been surround sound.  I asked several times for the volume to be turned up, but to no avail.  It was hard hearing it at first and you had to tune in your ears.  The ushers seemed more interested in counting the number of people in the theater.  Ours was only 2/3 full.

The later corps gave you that "in the face" horn line.  The most entertaining was VK of course.  Had never seen it before and would love to see it again.  A ton of talent on that field.

SCV by far my most favorite.  Love that show.

Yes, there was a Madison Scout alumni from '75 in the crowd and we met him afterwards.  Really nice guy and wished my son a lot of luck in the upcoming season.

Definitely will go again if they have one again next year.

It was a pleasure meeting you guys as well. Great to see a drum corps family into the activity.

All the best,

Dan

Thank you DCI and Tom Blair for your hard work in making this thing a go!!

Yes and Music City Legend was left off the list :ramd:

I got the official word from the DCI office on that and addressed it in a topic all by itself. It makes sense when one reads the whole thing...turns out there's a process and corps have the ability to opt in or out of it.

Mike

Went to the Perimeter Regal Cinema in Atlanta. Had a good time and it was great to see all of the decades well represented.

Now about the theatre...I know about 10 people in my general vicinity complained about the lack of air to management and nothing was done. It was a little TOO WARM. As my buddy Laura said, "Maybe they wanted us to experience drum corps on a hot spring night while we're in the theatre".

Otherwise, Kudos DCI!!!!

Garner, NC

--

Same complains as everyone about the sound. Through the first one or two shows, I thought it was just the quality (70s). But when Spirit came up, I was ready to be knocked out of my seat...instead, the whole night sounded like it was coming from my 13" television set. I asked for the sound to be turned up during intermission, and the guy said the did turn it up a little, but it didn't sound like it.

This sort of soured the night for me...I was really looking forward to the sound slapping me in the face...for PR's ending to give me chills, for example (like it does even with my cd player's headphones!). Oh well...

It was fun, though, to notice people's reactions to different things. With the exception of Cavies 02, I had not seen any of those shows live...only listened to recordings. Some things I noticed...

-Some giggles at the first shot we had of the marching chimes/bells player for Kingsmen...

-Some grumbling about the picture quality on the wide shots for Kingsmen...

-By Scouts, people were feeling freer to clap at random moments, like the soprano solo...

-Big applause when Scouts bunched up in the middle of the field to kick finale of the Gershwin piece...

-Rather dry response to Blue Devils, except for good response after the middle piece (Legend of One Eyed Sailor?)...

-Only polite applause for Spirit, I think because of the low sound volume, but there were some appreciative giggles for the great guard...

-Some gasps and applause even for the PREVIEW of the Lancers guard (and I was disappointed the camera didn't zoom in on the guard at the end!!)...

-Lots of SCV fans in my audience, so the rooting began even at their mention...

-Exclamations of 'WOW!' during SCV's ballad when the guard expands from their ball with the black silks...

-Great response to the SCV Music of the Night push...

-Lack of response to Star's rotating box at the end of their opener surprised me...

-Great response to the first formation of the Star on the field...then the first cross...then the second cross...

-Lots of laughs for all things VK, but some gasps at first of 'wow, 10th place?' as if to say 'why are we about to watch a TENTH PLACE corps??'

-Generous applause after each Phantom piece, and I especially enjoyed how it went from laughing and applause after VK to COMPLETE silence when PR started. The shiny flag poles during the middle piece didn't get the reaction I expected either...

-Good reactions to Boston's drill in many places, and to the ballad...

-Fantastic responses to Cadets show-off sections, and big applause at the end...

-Lots of applause for several of Cavies' formations, laughs and some cheers for the 'fight club' bit, and some gasps at the breakneck speed at some point during the closer...

Anyway, I appreciate DCI doing this. But I do wonder about the sound situation...

Edited by chris ncsu

One funny thing I heard from the person next to me was during the announcing of the votes, some older BAC people said "and they're still beating us"! I think we got a few more votes than Boston.....it was very obvious by just the people I was with that they didn't know if you voted for 3 BD shows, it canceled itself out, many others didn't know either....I don't know how that was missed by so many...anyway.....

a few people yelled my name (Go Scopa!!!!) when they first showed the shot of the guard on the 50 during the drum solo, that was pretty funny too!

From Indianapolis (CC 9):

-Huge amount of Star alums, very cool. I talked with someone in line who had a Star staff jacket if knew my HS band director who marched/taught Star. He said that he did I eventually found out it was Donnie Van Doren. That was great!

-Giggles as well at the shot of the Kingsmen bells.

-I am offically a 2-7 fan. I loved the show.

-I never realized how much 1989 SCV moved in that show. I still love that push.

-Thank you for the intermission!

-Huge ovation for the Star show, as expected. Had several alums singing, drumming out their parts, but hey, it's forgivable.

-I heart VK.

-I actually voted for Regiment 1995, but I love the music in 1996, too. Some people behind me (not sure if Star alums or someone else) was fake snoring at times. Not cool.

-Cesario's intro during the 2000 corps had people rolling...it was just bad. ("The Cadets just find ways to reach in the dark spots and pull out something...) I had seen the last three shows many times, all still good.

After a long, long day at the Star Wars Celebration in town, this was a nice change a pace (though I should have got an autograph from DVD). Video/Sound issues aside, it was enjoyable! I brought a drum corps newbie and she really liked the old stuff, especially the rifle work.

Thanks, DCI!

:(  :(  :(  Marc!!  I got down there at 4:15pm (w/o your NEW cell #) and was told EMPHATICALLY by the manager and some other "official" guy later that it was sold out, and no, they weren't opening up another theater like they did for quarters.

THERE WERE SEVERAL EMPTY SEATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ^0^  ^0^  ^0^

Oh joy....oh rapture...while I was meandering through Orange County to get back to my domicile, I COULD have been partying with you guys.  If I ONLY stayed a little longer....sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh....

Sorry, Ryan...I thought I gave you my new cell #. I got there about 6:30pm (dang traffic) and decided to take a chance and try by getting a ticket to another movie (Beauty Shop) and was able to get into the theater...and, yes, there were some empty seats (all down front). I figured since the theater wouldn't release the non-claimed will call tickets, I would at least pay to get into the door and go from there...

One funny thing I heard from the person next to me was during the announcing of the votes, some older BAC people said "and they're still beating us"!  I think we got a few more votes than Boston.....it was very obvious by just the people I was with that they didn't know if you voted for 3 BD shows, it canceled itself out, many others didn't know either....I don't know how that was missed by so many...anyway.....

a few people yelled my name (Go Scopa!!!!)  when they first showed the shot of the guard on the 50 during the drum solo, that was pretty funny too!

LMAO b**bs Because the McBurney's were sitting in front of us (you remember them the married couple marched in 79)? We looked at each other and said the same thing! "We're still beating them"...There was a lot of Boston folks in our theatre too as well as Magic, but there was much love for that 27 show! :blink:

(P.S. George B. was proud of all our hard work Nancy for getting it in there) :) You should've heard the gasps of the kids in our theatre at the color guard, I was proud for y'all! :)