Biggest messups in DCI history?

The big problem there was the Bottle Dance came as a surprise addition and the fans went berserk. The fans were so loud there was no way anyone in the audience could hear what SCV was playing....they could only see what was happening. Couple that with the acoustics of playing under the partial Montreal Olympic Stadium half-dome and it was so loud the members of the corps couldn't hear a thing.

I wasn't even aware there was a problem on the field until the recordings came out, as was everyone else I personally asked about it after listening to the recording. And it was a huge thing once one couldn't actually hear it.

Mike

I think the bigger probelm was the conductor in all his excitement of the addition and the fan noise forgetting hw to count to 4 and miscueing. Half the corps, followed, the other half didn't.

Tim Kviz

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1986 at our home show in Hutchinson, KS, we have just completed our warm-up and were at dress center. We were wiating for the DM to give us the ready front, then start the show. Well, he forgot the ready front command and just started the show. The opening statement was an utter disaster, as half the horn line was facing back field and only about a third of the horn line started on the count. The entire show was a debacle. He repeated the mistake in our final run through before semi-finals (and was just about lynched).

Tim Kviz

Sky Ryders 85-88

Various Others 78-84

Lol....maybe because it's late, but I laughed when I saw this.

Guest DrumCorpFan

I don't know how many people noticed it, but in 1985 we started in a tight block. Well, on Finals night the back of the block didn't hear the DM count off and we (the front) started on time, but the back, instead of starting to the words "1, 2, 1-2-3-4," started to the words, "Oh crap, we're going." Except, I think it was another word besides "crap."

Edited by DrumCorpFan

I don't know how many people noticed it, but in 1985 we started in a tight block.  Well, on Finals night the back of the block didn't hear the DM count off and we (the front) started on time, but the back, instead of starting to the words "1, 2, 1-2-3-4," started to the words, "Oh crap, we're going."  Except, I think it was another word besides "crap."

Hm, I seem to remember from watching the video a while back that the opening block didn't quite rotate uniformly...sort of an accordian effect. *shrugs* I just thought maybe you were going for a cool visual thing :)

Guest DrumCorpFan
Hm, I seem to remember from watching the video a while back that the opening block didn't quite rotate uniformly...sort of an accordian effect.  *shrugs*  I just thought maybe you were going for a cool visual thing :)

Nope, but we recovered quite quickly, don't ya think!

B) :blink:

The big problem there was the Bottle Dance came as a surprise addition and the fans went berserk. The fans were so loud there was no way anyone in the audience could hear what SCV was playing....they could only see what was happening. Couple that with the acoustics of playing under the partial Montreal Olympic Stadium half-dome and it was so loud the members of the corps couldn't hear a thing.

I wasn't even aware there was a problem on the field until the recordings came out, as was everyone else I personally asked about it after listening to the recording. And it was a huge thing once one couldn't actually hear it.

Mike

Look at the video. The Drum Major blew it big time. His downbeat to the "main theme" of the Bottle Dance was one count too late. Half the horns followed him; the others simply kept going. (the "horns down" is pretty funny to watch)

Haven't read through the 7 pages of replies yet, so this may be redundant....

Garfield Cadets at Whitewater in 1984....the domino effect at the tail end of the Z pull when the last kid bit it....and then next, and the next and the next. Yikes! Scary to watch, but whatta recovery. They still won marching too. D'oh!

D'oh! SCV won M&M that night, 19.2 to 19.1. Garfield won visual ensemble (10 to 9.8). Also, SCV won GE Visual by 0.1. :angry:

'88 Spirit. The whole show was a mistake.

Actually, that's my favorite Spirit show. It's also the best they've done since place-wise. The '89 show (Interstellar Suite), IMHO, was the worst.