Biggest messups in DCI history?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1983 Crossmen at Drums Along The Rockies. I believe they had just made a change that day and Drum Major Jerry Mascaro gave a wrong command. Half the horns drums and guard started performing the show and the other half were still at attention. My son said it was the lowest point in his drum corps career. They reset and got a good start but it was a real embarrassment for the members.

OK, I got a few.

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the Cadets train wreck in the "z" pull in about 85 at Whitewater. Classic.

Any one remember the Madison cymbal player in 76 that lost his cymbal. He kept playing by hitting the other cymbal with his fist. His hand was pretty bloody by the end of the show.

In 1979 Jeff Fiedler fell off the podium at the end of "Children of Sanchez" in Greenville, SC. I couldn't play I was laughing so hard.

Don

The big problem there was the Bottle Dance came as a surprise addition and the fans went berserk. The fans were so loud there was no way anyone in the audience could hear what SCV was playing....they could only see what was happening. Couple that with the acoustics of playing under the partial Montreal Olympic Stadium half-dome and it was so loud the members of the corps couldn't hear a thing.

I wasn't even aware there was a problem on the field until the recordings came out, as was everyone else I personally asked about it after listening to the recording. And it was a huge thing once one couldn't actually hear it.

Mike

Mike, I was there sitting around the 40 or 35 and I did notice the sound delay or phasing from one side to the other. Like you said, the crowd erupted when SCV started playing the first note of the Bottle Dance. We had heard rumors all summer that they were going to add it in for finals and was so excited that they did!

1983 Crossmen at Drums Along The Rockies. I believe they had just made a change that day and Drum Major Jerry Mascaro gave a wrong command. Half the horns drums and guard started performing the show and the other half were still at attention. My son said it was the lowest point in his drum corps career. They reset and got a good start but it was a real embarrassment for the members.

That also happened in '79 when DM Jill Moyer forgot to cue in the brass and went right into the next tempo change. The hornline's quick thinking jump in anyway so there wasn't a train wreck. It was kind of weird that all were on the same page!

OK, I got a few.

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the Cadets train wreck in the "z" pull in about 85 at Whitewater. Classic.

There's a separate thread about this....it was 84.

Re cymbals falling apart...prelims 85, Avante Garde....first chrash of the show and a dude's strap broke. I felt so sorry for him....and hoped it wasn't his age-out show.

Just a few......

Cadets 1995 - Two wipeouts trying to make the company front about half way through the show.

Suncoast Sound 1988 - Was it just me or was that "Memorial" a little lop-sided? Maybe someone can clarify, please.

(Did someone say blue devils 89?)

:music::music::blink::music::angry::rock::huh:

Edited by ContraRich77