PHANTOM 2003

I guess I will join the fray on this topic. Funny thing is I was going to post a few weeks back about Phantom 03 but a family emergency came up and I didn't get a chance till now.

I have been a fan of Drum Corps since I was a kid and growing up near Rockford I was exposed to Phantom more than the other big Midwest corps. During college and after I spread my loyalty equally between Scouts, Cavies and Phantom with a dose of SCV too. I stayed that way for may great years including being in the audience to see the Cavies win in 92 and Phantom in 96. That all changed after seeing the Phantom 03 live twice including hanging around all day for a rehersal.

Having never marched Drum Corps I clearly am not a great authority but I am a bit of a connoisseur (a person of discriminating tast rather than an expert.) To me Phantom 03 has made me forget all about my loyalty to my other favorites. I don't even buy their t-shirts at shows anymore because I feel I am betraying Phantom.

Quite simply I think the 03 show is as close to perfect for a drun corp music book I have ever experienced. Yes, the show had weak elements but to me the music was so good it eclipes those flaws. To me the wedge and hit of the Canon repeat is the single greatest moment I have ever seen in Drum Corps. Currently I have the show loaded into my iPod along with the 05 show. I am enjoying 05 but I think it will be a while before Phantom can ever match the fantastic moments of 03. If they ever do match or top the 03 music book I think we will have another championship. The staff must surely realize in hindsight that you have to be great in every aspect of a show top to bottom if you want to win.

I don't post much so please be kind.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I mean wow. I never knew that Phantom's '03 show was so controversial. I guess it was such a great show, that anyone saying anything negative about it really cuts to the core of the people who love it. Just all the postings goes to show you how much this show touched people. To address a few points:

Sitting on the zero yard line? Please. All I know is that to me, they sounded tremendous live, and on the DVD. And you saw the DVD, and weren't impressed? OK, maybe you weren't impressed, but how can you watch that show and not be moved at least a little by the music. You must be dead inside.

Overated, not overated. Who cares? The hornline played the show, which may be most emotionally moving and musically beautiful shows in the history of the activity. For that, they deserve all the credit in the world.

Forget the judges scores. Forget the 4th place finish. From reading everyone's opinion, Phantom was the corps who truly came out on top in 2003.

I guess I will join the fray on this topic. Funny thing is I was going to post a few weeks back about Phantom 03 but a family emergency came up and I didn't get a chance till now.

I have been a fan of Drum Corps since I was a kid and growing up near Rockford I was exposed to Phantom more than the other big Midwest corps. During college and after  I spread my loyalty equally between Scouts, Cavies and Phantom with a dose of SCV too. I stayed that way for may great years including being in the audience to see the Cavies win in 92 and Phantom in 96. That all changed after seeing the Phantom 03 live twice including hanging around all day for a rehersal.

Having never marched Drum Corps I clearly am not a great authority but I am a bit of a connoisseur (a person of discriminating tast rather than an expert.) To me Phantom 03 has made me forget all about my loyalty to my other favorites. I don't even buy their t-shirts at shows anymore because I feel I am betraying Phantom.

Quite simply I think the 03 show is as close to perfect for a drun corp music book I have ever experienced. Yes, the show had weak elements but to me the music was so good it eclipes those flaws. To me the wedge and hit of the Canon repeat is the single greatest moment I have ever seen in Drum Corps. Currently I have the show loaded into my iPod along with the 05 show. I am enjoying 05  but I think it will be a while before Phantom can ever match the fantastic moments of 03. If they ever do match or top the 03 music book I think we will have another championship. The staff must surely realize in hindsight that you have to be great in every aspect of a show top to bottom if you want to win.

I don't post much so please be kind.

:worthy::worthy:

WOW this has been fun to read and read all over again.

I remember when I was marching in a small DIV 1 corps--and we were in last place like every stinking night (not discrediting LIFE CHANGING experiences i had there)-- and yet there were still some members in our corps who would complain about how "out of tune (insert 3rd place corps) was" or how "bad ____'s guard was".........

And then I would notice that these were the same people who wouldn't run back to their sets in rehearsal, or they were the people who wouldn't push as hard as everyone else during running block, or they were the people who were "injured" during a rehearsal day that lasted longer than 6 hours..... <**> <**> <**>

I was EXTREMELY embarrased when any member of any corps/organization that I belonged to ripped on anothers performance. I unfortunately see this too often in the fan-base of drum corps.

Thanks for trying to tear other people down for the sake of your own insecurities. There are too many critics in this activity. Go to a drum corps show (and try forking up some cash so you aren't sitting on the 0 yard line) and enjoy all of the good things that are going on out on the field. Live it up, love it all, and remember the memories it created.

We are all going to cringe when there is a mistake or an overplayed note or something like that, but i think that it is important to remember that there are 130 kids (or even 30 or 60 kids) out there trying to connect with YOU, the audience.

WHICH Phantom 03 did very very well. and so many other corps that I have watched besides them--including MANY DIV 2 or 3 corps--have done the same thing for me.

It all depends on how much the audience is willing to connect with the corps i guess

Phantom '03.............Hmmmm.......hard to say whether I liked this better than 91 or not..........but it was one #### of an awesome Show!!!!!

I burn my own drum corps CDs and the set I did a few years back jsut had phantom 91 and 92 on a CD with 2 velvet knight shows (becuase that also just had 2 shows on it...............but now, I have enough Phantom show to warrant their own CD!!!!!!! Heck I may even have to put 2003 on it TWICE!

Mmm...Phantom regiment 2003.

I remember sitting on the 50 half way up the upper deck at Semi's and just beiing knocked over by the low brass sound. The mello book that year was pretty good too.

Last year Phantom surprised me and I loved the show. I can't wait to see them this year.

If you don't like what somebody said, just say so.  But please, don't imply that all people who are critical of corps are lazy.

I apologize for making it seem that being critical makes someone lazy, I guess the point I would rather emphasize is that there is a lot of really really good things going on out there on the field, and as fans and supporters of a truly brilliant activity, we need to be more positive.

And everyone is entitled to their own opinion which is great and is in fact needed for DC and any other organization that is looking to grow and improve, but it won't hurt to sit back and try to enjoy a drum corps show for its intended purpouse--to get you off your feet and screaming!

Thats all I have--I never intend to offend anyone here, so sorry if i did.

For me, the show starts and pretty much ends with the program they played. Aside from Wild Nights (which was kind of eh for me), the rest of the show was brilliantly written.

Got to see them live in Leander, TX that year (and down against the track for the standstill after), and I'll always be glad that I did get to see that show in person. :)

Mike