I want to talk about Jester.

Hopefully they have a bright future. I know in my younger more immature days when I didn't know any better, I made fun of a small corps that I didn't think was very good. 3 years later I was a bass drummer in that corps as we took 2nd place in Div III behind the Mandarins.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I think Lee and the Renegades are to be congratulated for their support of Jester and their honest opinions of their performance up north this past weekend, I'm not changing my opinion one bit from what I've put up on my two reviews, one of which Lee quoted (#8). I have been in this activity and in the band and winter guard activity far too long to not be able to tell the difference between a group of kids that don't care and don't perform well to a group of kids that are handed crappy product by a staff and management that is completely unrealistic about what to expect out of them.

Again--I'm glad there's support for them, and I too applaud (as I have) the kids of this particular corps, but I'm real hot about this issue of bad product. I felt the same way about a small corps out of Phelan that came and went several years ago made up of great kids I'm sure from a homeschooling network in the high desert of southern California called Patriot Praise. Maybe I'm too cynical or judgemental in my old years, but it seems to me that more attention should be paid to the EXPECTATION level of kids. In other words, if band isn't a big deal to kids in their geographic area and they didn't know what a roll step was, why in the world were they trying to present a musical book that was CLEARLY not appropriate? These are tough questions to ask because yes, there is a line between challenging and growing versus, well, what happened to the kids in Jester.

Thanks Lee--your take on this is appreciated (and Renegades ARE a class act--no doubt) but I did have to weigh in on this.

It's a shame they did not have any souvies.  Their would have been a mysterious sellout of Jester shirts on Saturday if they did!  Jesterday only comes once a year. :)

That's right. Many of us were ready to buy Jester shirts, but none were to be found.

I still think their staff should be flogged severely. There was no excuse for that program.

I still think their staff should be flogged severely.  There was no excuse for that program.

apparently you misunderstood the purpose of this thread.

~>conner

You just never see a good public flogging any more.

Thank you so much to the Renegades for demonstrating a great deal of class. To set some things straight. I've seen Jester actually grow from there first show at the Southwest Corps connection some 4 years ago. They started as an off-shoot of a now folded corps named Copperstar, both groups sharing member run off. Their first show consisted of about 12 members not just hornline but members, who marched out some actually switched instruments and guard equipment for a brief moment and attempted to tackle "The Inferno." Since then the corps has grown not in size to the extent of the Academy but quality has actually improved. So that is a plus for them to actually design shows with some content. They have heart just give them time to find their identity.

Being from Arizona and experienced a number of High quality marching and music programs, ACADEMY, Momentum youth arts, Phoenix Symphony Guilde, Tucson Phillharmonic youth Orchestra, Corona Del Sol HS, Dobson HS, Gilbert HS ... just to name a few extremely high quality and CLASSY orginizations that have contributed so much to improving the marching activity in the state it is a bit insulting to have the "weak marching and music programs" as another post quoted of Arizona be to blame for this corps. There are plenty of individuals and organizations willing to support Jester.

John Denton