Worst Champion of All Time

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love Cavies 2001 - Four Corners show I would have to say it was the weakest from an execution stand point. Both BD and Cadets were so much cleaner, but just could keep up in GE.

I would like to nominate Cavies 1992 .

Firstly I marched 92 and I can say that Cavies deserved to win, but it felt a little like they won a little by default, almost that the others didn't have that winning show and they seemed to win it pure based on the wonderful "package" that they put together.

Technically it was, lets say, less than challenging - i mean just listen to the parts.. but on a whole it works... and i like the show

But normally the DCI winners are clearly technically and performance wise ahead of the rest and they have the package to match (ie: it has winning show written all over it) - i don't think this was the case in 1992 for Cavies... still a nice show though

Do I need to point out how radically the judging system was changed after Madison's '88 win??? It's as if the drum corps community said to itself......."we can't let THIS happen again"!!!!!!!! :huh:

I would like to nominate Cavies 1992 .

Firstly I marched 92 and I can say that Cavies deserved to win, but it felt a little like they won a little by default, almost that the others didn't have that winning show and they seemed to win it pure based on the wonderful "package" that they put together.

Technically it was, lets say, less than challenging - i mean just listen to the parts.. but on a whole it works... and i like the show

But normally the DCI winners are clearly technically and performance wise ahead of the rest and they have the package to match (ie: it has winning show written all over it) - i don't think this was the case in 1992 for Cavies... still a nice show though

Agreed. Completely.

But I think the worst champions show is 78 SCV. "If You Believe in Yourself"... Sops had a bad day. I thimk 78 was a weak year all the way alround. It may have been the altitude, I don't know.

Why is everyone so against Madison 1988.  I don't understand.  They had a great show, and performed the living h*ll out of it finals night, and Santa Clara had a pretty bad show (seems like politics finally played no role in it)... I don't see the problem... Please explain why having the most amazing show you've had all year on finals night is a bad thing.  Thanks.

Yes, Madison did perform lights out at finals...during Malaguena. Everything prior to that in their show was quite boring, imo.

It seems that most people are all about 88 BD getting the ring, yet Santa Clara put on one of the most amazing performances that night. They put out more emotion and gave "it" to the crowd more than any show I have ever seen. For my two cents, 88 SCV was the best corps on the field that night.

Carlito

89 Phantom did deserve to win, yes. But that doesn't mean SCV was "bad". Both corps were excecuting at such a high level, it's mind blowing.

About the ONLY championship show i disagree with is Cavaliers 2001. Such an incredibly boring and dirty show. I don't know how on Earth they won GE music with that. To this day I can't hum a single measure from that show....BD should have been on top, followed by Cadets, THEN Cavies...

my .02

Do I need to point out how radically the judging system was changed after Madison's '88 win???  It's as if the drum corps community said to itself......."we can't let THIS happen again"!!!!!!!! :huh:

Not quite...the only thing that changed the following year was the use of the random draw system. The actual judging system itself was in place for one more year...they got rid of it following SCV's title in 1989.

Why is everyone so against Madison 1988.  I don't understand.  They had a great show, and performed the living h*ll out of it finals night, and Santa Clara had a pretty bad show (seems like politics finally played no role in it)... I don't see the problem... Please explain why having the most amazing show you've had all year on finals night is a bad thing.  Thanks.

w/Stp:

That's one of my favorite shows of all time.

Yes, Madison did perform lights out at finals...during Malaguena. Everything prior to that in their show was quite boring, imo.

Well I don't think most people agree with you on that one (I could be wrong though). Personally I found the first half of the show to be just as entertaining as Malaguena.

w/Stp:

That's one of my favorite shows of all time.

Well I don't think most people agree with you on that one (I could be wrong though).  Personally I found the first half of the show to be just as entertaining as Malaguena.

hmmm...seems that more than not people agree with me.