The Anti-Narration BD Thread

Often in these threads, those of us who oppose amplification and narration are told, in no uncertain terms, to "get over it," go away, stop attending shows, etc. -- in short, we either buy into everything that is put before us or not. We are expendable.

To date, I have continued to support corps and DCI, despite the fact that many of the recent changes have, in my opinion, seriously compromised the very nature of what I hold to be drum and bugle corps. However, I have almost reached my limit. My tolerance is coming to an end. I am on the verge of abandoning the activity which I have been a part of for over 20 years. If I walk away, I will supposedly be replaced by one of the many new, young fans that clamor to DCI events and are so eager to take up the slack created by the demise of older legacy fans. I hope that is the case but, I will watch with great interest to see my Platinum Membership in the Friends of DCI matched by a 14 year old from Texas; I'll look to see how many band kids are able to afford the Super Premium 3-day pass I purchase for finals; I'll be curious to find out how many youngsters have the funds and abilities to travel to Louisville, San Antonio, Indianapolis, Murfreesboro, Kalamazoo, and numerous other locations in one summer in support of corps; and I'll wonder what parent will shell out hundreds of dollars every summer so his/her child can purchase a t-shirt, hat, CD, or souvenier wind chime from practically every corps in the activity.

Yes, it is important to cultivate new fans and to excite them. However, is it necessary to alienate so many in the process? Is it wise to bite the hand that feeds you?

Edited by ChicagoFan

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is important to cultivate new fans and to excite them.  However, is it necessary to alienate so many in the process?  Is it wise to bite the hand that feeds you?

I'm still not sold on the idea that DCI is alienating such a large base as you seem to indicate. I saw 14,000 fans at San Antonio, the highest turnout ever for that event. I do see a lot of commentary from people who dislike amplification, but to me it seems to be centered around a handfull of key individuals as opposed to some large contingent.

I'm still not sold on the idea that DCI is alienating such a large base as you seem to indicate.  I saw 14,000 fans at San Antonio, the highest turnout ever for that event.  I do see a lot of commentary from people who dislike amplification, but to me it seems to be centered around a handfull of key individuals as opposed to some large contingent.

Yes, the turnout in San Antonio was a good one. However, as I looked around the stadium I noticed an inordinately large number of young people -- likely band kids that had been royally courted by DCI. In fact, the demographic seemed to be decidely split between young people of approximate high school age, and those in the 35-50 range. I ask you: which of those two groups pays the bills? Who has the spending power?

having seen a good number of corps this summer, I'm actually quite surprised to see just HOW MANY corps are not using amps this year...which is so amazing since amps were supposed to be the SAVIOR of drum corps! :P At last check, Phantom, SCV, Cascades, etc etc are not amping their pit. The sad part is, Cascades amp ONLY the voice in the beginning of their show (at least, that's all I could see), yet they don't bother to amp the rest of their pit. I was under the impression that amps were there to allow for fewer pit members and the utilization of proper technique...wow...guess I was wrong... :worthy:

In fact, the demographic seemed to be decidely split between young people of approximate high school age, and those in the 35-50 range.  I ask you: which of those two groups pays the bills?  Who has the spending power?

Yes, but DCI also has to look at who will be paying the bills 20-30 years down the road. Those 35-50 year-olds have the spending power now, but those band kids will be the ones with the spending power in the future and, arguably, even now. The 35-50 year-olds may have the money, but how it's spent is often dictated by the teenagers they have that are asking/requesting/demanding to get the cd's, DVD's, T-shirts, etc.

George has stated that his vision will remain the same despite any and all other opinions.

OK...he has his own vision, absolutely true. My point is that anti-Hoppy folks here make it appear that he all by his lonesome wanted/pushed amps, and that is just not true. The creative staffs wanted them for as along as he was proposing them. Finally, enough voting admin members agreed. Times change, and so does the voting population. I have no problem with anyone bringing up a proposal multiple times, whatever it might be, because every year the voting situation might be different as membership turns over.

Mike

I'll be curious to find out how many youngsters have the funds and abilities to travel to Louisville, San Antonio, Indianapolis, Murfreesboro, Kalamazoo, and numerous other locations in one summer in support of corps

They aren't looking for one person to travel to those places...they are looking to attract the local bands in those places to attend the shows.

And I am sure they still hope you will attend too. But...you like what you like.

; and I'll wonder what parent will shell out hundreds of dollars every summer so his/her child can purchase a t-shirt, hat, CD, or souvenier wind chime from practically every corps in the activity.

IMO parents make sure their kids get what they want/need far more than they do for themselves. I know my daugter has a lot more in the souvie area than I do, and even when she doesn't attend the show I am going to I make sure I purchase stuf for her first.

Yes, it is important to cultivate new fans and to excite them.  However, is it necessary to alienate so many in the process?  Is it wise to bite the hand that feeds you?

There are highly vocal folks who loudly proclaim that they are leaving, yet I still see a very nice mix of young and old at shows I attend. The last two years at Giant's Stadium shows I attended I ended up sitting near and speaking with a guy from St Lucy's who stopped marching in 66 (last year) and who still loves drum corps and tis year a guy from St Joe's Patrons/St Rita's Brassmen...he still comes to shows every year and loves every minute.

Sure, those are anecdotal, but so are the reports of those who are leaving.

Mike

I'm still not sold on the idea that DCI is alienating such a large base as you seem to indicate.  I saw 14,000 fans at San Antonio, the highest turnout ever for that event.  I do see a lot of commentary from people who dislike amplification, but to me it seems to be centered around a handfull of key individuals as opposed to some large contingent.

14,000 ??? impressive...so, how many busses dumped of the band kids for free or steep discount ?? And how many of those kids, high school age, had pockets full o' cash to spend at the souvie table ??

See, the show Ive been too, usually are packed, this year, they are down in attendance...so far. But, even that could be called rhetoric.....back to the point at hand.

How many of those 14,000 were paid attendees and how much did they spend on their favorite corps ??

~G~