The Anti-Narration BD Thread

To answer your first question, lots of people.  As for your second statement, well, it's beside the point.  I'm still waiting for an answer that explains why moving backwards will increase attendance.

I must have missed the threads where people are advocating going backwards - except as regards to amplication, perhaps any key too. Can you provide me with a few examples of such posts?

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. This is not rocket science.

Which other direction to go is there for those fans who you say left because DCI went "further" than they wished besides backwards? They're not happy with the way things are, otherwise, THEY WOULDN'T HAVE LEFT IN THE FIRST PLACE. And, I think I'm pretty safe in assuming that they wouldn't be happy with any more changes in the future (unless, of course, they changed things BACK to the way they were when they marched :P). So you tell me, which way is there left to go besides backwards? Let's invent a direction. :lolhit:

When I saw you had responded, I thought you might have pulled a jar-jar post.

Now that "Meesa called Jar Jar Binks" has moved to cliche status here at DCP...much like "I STOMP THEM", it should only be brought out on special occasions for a powerful impact on your comments GE scores. :P

^0^

Often in these threads, those of us who oppose amplification and narration are told, in no uncertain terms, to "get over it," go away, stop attending shows, etc. -- in short, we either buy into everything that is put before us or not.  We are expendable. 

To date, I have continued to support corps and DCI, despite the fact that many of the recent changes have, in my opinion, seriously compromised the very nature of what I hold to be drum and bugle corps.  However, I have almost reached my limit.  My tolerance is coming to an end.  I am on the verge of abandoning the activity which I have been a part of for over 20 years.  If I walk away, I will supposedly be replaced by one of the many new, young fans that clamor to DCI events and are so eager to take up the slack created by the demise of older legacy fans.  I hope that is the case but, I will watch with great interest to see my Platinum Membership in the Friends of DCI matched by a 14 year old from Texas; I'll look to see how many band kids are able to afford the Super Premium 3-day pass I purchase for finals; I'll be curious to find out how many youngsters have the funds and abilities to travel to Louisville, San Antonio, Indianapolis, Murfreesboro, Kalamazoo, and numerous other locations in one summer in support of corps; and I'll wonder what parent will shell out hundreds of dollars every summer so his/her child can purchase a t-shirt, hat, CD, or souvenier wind chime from practically every corps in the activity.

Yes, it is important to cultivate new fans and to excite them.  However, is it necessary to alienate so many in the process?  Is it wise to bite the hand that feeds you?

You seriously...I mean seriously....need to send this as an email to DCI

Very well put

No, I am assuming that the person I was responding to had not listened to what they were dismissing.

Mike

And, you assume incorrectly...

I heard them on the video snippets last summer.

I heard them on finals night.

I've even tried giving them a chance on the DVDs.

It makes my skin crawl.

As does whistling, as does a girl saying something that doesn't even sound like English, as does "drumspeak".....

"Yowza!" b**bs :worthy:

Wow.  This is not rocket science.

Which other direction to go is there for those fans who you say left because DCI went "further" than they wished besides backwards?  They're not happy with the way things are, otherwise, THEY WOULDN'T HAVE LEFT IN THE FIRST PLACE.  And, I think I'm pretty safe in assuming that they wouldn't be happy with any more changes in the future (unless, of course, they changed things BACK to the way they were when they marched :P).  So you tell me, which way is there left to go besides backwards?  Let's invent a direction.  :lolhit:

Explain to me how amplification of the human voice is "moving forward."

So, to sum up, once this whole thing is figured out, i bet everyone will come to love it just liike adding that first valve, or grounding the pit, or multi-key horn lines. Everyone will love it once we figure out how to do it right.

Wrong.

It is not like those changes you mentioned, and please you can rationalize it for yourself all you eant, but stop trying to "pont the way" for others and asking them to repent for their feelings. You say saxes would be the end of drum corps, well many feel that way now, about narration, because it changes the parameters and the fundamentals fo what drum corps is. You have a breaking point, why dismiss others' breaking points as not as drastic ???

Tell me, how does singing, narration, poetry reading, and amped vocals make the shows markedly better ? Enhancing not only the memebrs experience but the experience of the audience as well ??

~G~