The Anti-Narration BD Thread

If that move wasn't really a move forward, than retracting it would not be a move backward.

Are we still speaking temporally anyway?

Wow. Overturning rules would be moving backwards. I know this because drum corps would look like it did before. Once again, not rocket science here. Keep trying to say otherwise, though. It's hilarious.

As for your other post, I'm glad to hear you like some changes. If only yours were the only needs and wants that mattered, you might actually like all of them, and you wouldn't need to complain anymore--it would be like having your own private entertainment medium.

In closing, if that move wasn't really a not move unforward, then unretracting it would not be a move upsidedownward. :lolhit:

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for your other post, I'm glad to hear you like some changes.  If only yours were the only needs and wants that mattered, you might actually like all of them, and you wouldn't need to complain anymore--it would be like having your own private entertainment medium.

Ummmm ... well ... he's hardly alone in not liking amplified voice, of course ... In fact, I'd be perfectly willing to bet that a large majority of DCI fans would be quite happy to see it gone from our activity.

Quite right, I should've said "if only yours, and everybody else who happens to agree with you, were the only needs and wants that mattered...."

My mistake for not being clear that I meant "yours" to be implied plural. I sincerely meant it that way. That's one of the problems with "you" as a pronoun. It can objective, subective, plural, or singular, unlike all of the other pronouns that automatically show case and number. But, that's another thread. :)

I stated on page one of this topic how disappointed I am with the Blue Devils show this year. With that said is there anything they can do about it now or with only two weeks left in the season is it too late? It seems pretty clear to me that their show, as it is, will not contend for the title this season.

I'm sure I'll be a big fan of BD next year. I'd like to believe that their design team knows that this show didn't work (did not give the performers the best opportunity to showcase their talents and entertain the fans) and will try something different for 2006.

QT

And attendance would be even BETTER if they appeal to both x and y fans..

DCI does appeal to both types of fans, fro shows I've been at. Plenty of young folks and folks even older than me...and all in between.

Will EVERY fan like it? No...never has happened and IMO never will. There will always be a small number who turn away at whatever the latest change is.

Mike

No, of course it's not the designers' fault...never has been...they're the designers, after all....they're infallible....oh, and they're amping the human voice for the kids

Not every show is as successful as the next...where do you get THAT idea? Plus, what YOU think successful may not be my choice.

I loved Crown 2004...you did not. I also loved the unmicced Regiment show. Micced...unmicced...that doesn't matter if the show is good..and it doesn't matter if the show is not good (to the individual viewer/listener's taste).

I base my like or dislike on the show itself, regardless of the equipment it contains. You may base your view on things other than that. It's your right to do so.

I just want to experience a show before passing judgement.

Mike

We can't help it that we just don't like something.  Do you like seafood?  Many people do not.  Is it "their fault" they don't like seafood, or just "the way they are"? 

Never said you have to like something.

I WANT to like amped vocals.  I have TRIED listening to it (not just once, either).  I have discovered that I absolutely, positively do not like amped vocals in drumcorps.  But, don't try to put it "on me" because I am forced to leave because of changes in the activity...It's not like I am "choosing" not to like the amps...It is just the way that I am.  Don't get me wrong, I will be here until the MAJORITY of the top twelve are all singing or narrating in their shows.  After that...sayonara.

But it IS on you to either stay or go. If you just don't like something that becomes the norm, so much so that you have to leave, it's your decision.

Personally, IMO micced singing will be the exception, not the rule...the same way it has been in MB for decades. You may see bits and pieces of narration, but I personally think singing as Crown did (so very well) will be the exception. Just MHO.

Mike

And tell us how much money per person they spent compared to how much a legacy fan would have...

Apparently, drum corps is going to be a pro-amp exclusive club only here soon...cast us aside, why don't you....whereas those of us against amplification (at least the voice) have no problem having the band kids in the stands with us..

Really, that's the vibe I'm getting anymore...

Drum corps now has amped pits, amped singing is legal...as is micced narration. They are as legal as any other change made over the years.

Who is being "cast aside"? if some corps choose to use one or more of those elements, as they would do any OTHER legal elements, that's what they'll do.

If you do not like it enough that you choose to stop attending, YOU have left drum corps...it hasn't left you. You have cast aside drum corps as something you just don't like anymore in that case.

Mike

Through all of this thread, I've not found any information to support amplification as being anything other than a cop-out for show designers. It's amazing for years that Drum Corps have been able to tell their stories without the use of amplification.

Gee, it's amazing that for year drum corps did not need contras...

Gee, it's amazing that for year drum corps did not need mallets...

Gee, it's amazing that for year drum corps did not need to start on the field...

Gee, it's amazing that for year drum corps did not need to end on the field...

Gee, it's amazing that for year drum corps did not need...

Mike

My view exactly!  I have yet to see a show, corps or band, where I thought that the use of amplified voice did anything but detract from the performance.  I can take or leave the amplified pit, and amplified "sound effects" (like whistling) can sometimes add an interesting twist to the music if it's done right ... but amplified voice?  I've yet to be impressed.

Well, 2004 Crown and BAC spring to mind as examples where micced voice worked quite well.

Mike