The Anti-Narration BD Thread

Well, 2004 Crown and BAC spring to mind as examples where micced voice worked quite well.

Mike

Mike,

You are one of the FEW people I have EVER heard say that they actually liked the amped vocals in the two shows you named above. Most people that I know (myself included) DESPISED the vocals in both of those shows. How could you say Boston's vocals worked quite well with insipid narration like "The heart, like the hand, is colored by what it holds..."??? I mean, talk about "hoity-toity"... :rolleyes: Give me a break. (Two dollars to Nell Carter...) :)

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

You are one of the FEW people I have EVER heard say that they actually liked the amped vocals in the two shows you named above.  Most people that I know (myself included) DESPISED the vocals in both of those shows.  How could you say Boston's vocals worked quite well with insipid narration like "The heart, like the hand, is colored by what it holds..."???  I mean, talk about "hoity-toity"... :rolleyes:  Give me a break. (Two dollars to Nell Carter...) :)

I've spoken to people who liked Crown's vocals....both at the shows I attended as well as after-the-fact.

BAC's vocal worked for me because IMO it helped to convey the feelings they were generating with the brass and percussion as well as the visual elements. It all worked together, IMO. Would I program something like that? Probably not. But IMO it worked for their show.

Mike

Mike,

You are one of the FEW people I have EVER heard say that they actually liked the amped vocals in the two shows you named above.  Most people that I know (myself included) DESPISED the vocals in both of those shows. 

Ditto.

Many of my friends and family are DCI fans and former (or current, in the case of my brother's kids) band geeks in their own right, and I don't know a one of them who liked the use of amplified voice by either of those corps in '04. All of em' liked Crown's show, though, but thought that the singing detracted from the experience. And I've yet to talk with one corps fan who thought that those shows were enhanced by the use of amped voice, not counting a tiny number of pollyannas here on DCP.

Ditto.

Many of my friends and family are DCI fans and former (or current, in the case of my brother's kids) band geeks in their own right, and I don't know a one of them who liked the use of amplified voice by either of those corps in '04.  All of em' liked Crown's show, though, but thought that the singing detracted from the experience.  And I've yet to talk with one corps fan who thought that those shows were enhanced by the use of amped voice, not counting a tiny number of pollyannas here on DCP.

I spoken to folks who hated it...folks who were ambivalent (this response surprised me)...and folks who enjoyed it.

Personally, as one who DID enjoy them....I resent being call a "pollyana"...IMO that's a personal attack.

And I've yet to talk with one corps fan who thought that those shows were enhanced by the use of amped voice, not counting a tiny number of pollyannas here on DCP.

Dan! You need to widen your circle of acquaintances, man! (I'm kidding! I keed! I keed!) :P

I thought Crown's vocals qualified as an "enhancement" last year. Boston? Not so much.

Sincerely,

Pollyanna (aka Michael Terry)

Ditto.

Many of my friends and family are DCI fans and former (or current, in the case of my brother's kids) band geeks in their own right, and I don't know a one of them who liked the use of amplified voice by either of those corps in '04.  All of em' liked Crown's show, though, but thought that the singing detracted from the experience.  And I've yet to talk with one corps fan who thought that those shows were enhanced by the use of amped voice, not counting a tiny number of pollyannas here on DCP.

Yeah, because they don't count anyway, those silly polyannas.

Well, 2004 Crown and BAC spring to mind as examples where micced voice worked quite well.

Mike

LOL LOL LOL, umm, it did ?? Mike, BAC removed 90% of their narration becuase it didnt work, audiences across the US cringed. Members didnt even like it. I know the facts, its up to those that question them to find the truth if they want to, but the fact is BAC removed their narration as much as they could without having egg on their face because it didnt work.

Crown had their best show despite, DESPIT cheezy, Up with people type singing and silly poetry......had these things not been included this show would have been the buzz of the century.......not the mediocre rememberance it is now...nevermind the technical mess at many shows....it just didnt get the applause and recognition some would like it to have....

~G~

Question: How many people walked away from Bostons and Crown show, shaking their head in amazement saying "Wow, did you hear what that guy just said? That was amazing" "Im gonna go buy a t-shirt from that corps now"

How many are saying that about Blue Devils this year ??

How many people discuss drum corps with their friends and say this: "Yeah, that drill was remarkable, such interval, and did you hear their screamers??? But all in all, I cant believe how great that narration was"

Get it ?? support it all you want, support open, forward (in your opinons) thinking, but the fact is Narration takes away from the shows and is nto the things that make them worth watching, or refering back to...How many bought the dvd's only to forward to the bnarration.singing part ??

I rest my case.

~G~

LOL LOL LOL, umm, it did ?? Mike, BAC removed 90% of their narration becuase it didnt work, audiences across the US cringed. Members didnt even like it. I know the facts, its up to those that question them to find the truth if they want to, but the fact is BAC removed their narration as much as they could without having egg on their face because it didnt work.

Opinion, not fact.

Crown had their best show despite, DESPIT cheezy, Up with people type singing and silly poetry......had these things not been included this show would have been the buzz of the century.......not the mediocre rememberance it is now...nevermind the technical mess at many shows....it just didnt get the applause and recognition some would like it to have....

ditto.

Mike