The Anti-Narration BD Thread

You stood by the souvie trailers all night ?? :P

Care to tell us how much they all spent ??

How much did it cost them to get in ?

~G~

~G~, I'd almost forgotten how incredibly easy it is to yank your chain! :P

Could your above questions BE any more inane or irrelevant? The bottom line is that cash was steadily changing hands at the souvie trailers from a very large number of apparently eager customers, many of whom were minors ("band kids").

I don't know specifically how much each kid paid to get in the show (nor do you). What I do know is that I was seated next to the band director of one of the groups in attendance. I asked him how he acquired tickets for his group (source). He purchased them through dci.org at the published group rate for groups of 25 or more - I think he mentioned $20 each. (I believe his group totalled approximately 160, including accompanying adults.) His group seats were in section 1TT, but he personally bought 2 single tickets @ $40 each in section 2R (50 yd line) for he and his wife (her first drum corps show). He told me that the ticket purchase price was included in the kids' band fees for the year and was a mandatory band trip/function.

I hope this satisfies your "curiosity." :P

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through all of this thread, I've not found any information to support amplification as being anything other than a cop-out for show designers. It's amazing for years that Drum Corps have been able to tell their stories without the use of amplification. Would the Bridgemen or other Corps have been as memorable with someone "telling" their story. BD has been my favorite for years, but after seeing them at Murfreesboro last night, I'll be going to get a beer during their show.  I almost became sick during their show. A Corps whose bread and butter has been their hornline takes a backseat to "YOWZA, YOWZA, YOWZA". Now thats a move forward.

I am so afraid that this post, your view, is going to be me after Aug 5th (First time I see BD live this year) I have been a fanatic since 1980 and have enjoyed, immensely every show....but this is the first year I am NOT looking forward to seeing them. There have been years I have missed much work time, traveled across country, didged family functions and layed down much dinero just to see them, to get my fix, but the thought of "Yowsa , yowsa , yowsa" from the most cutting edge marching musical unit in its history just doesnt tempt me. It disgusts me.

~G~

Innocous to you Mike.  I actually wish I had your flexibility to accept this change.  You will be able to passionately enjoy this activity much longer than I will.  That is your advantage.

Exactly...Ditto here.

I don't like the amplification in BD's show either, but not because I just blindly hate A&E, but because I think that in that specific show, it isn't being done well and it doesn't fit the show. 

I don't hate ALL amplification. I am okay with amped pits. I am NOT okay with amped voice...BECAUSE OF THE SHOWS I HAVE WATCHED THAT INCLUDED IT...not trying to shout, just making a point. All of the amped vocals have made me cringe thus far, and nothing I have heard has led me to believe that there may even be a chance that I would like amped voice in a show. That is why I am against it.

It's up to the x fans to stay...as it's always been. We already have seen that some will walk away when a change or series becomes more than they can support. That is "on them"...as it has always been. Attendance has been on the rise, so IMO DCI is indeed doing things "right" overall.

Mike

We can't help it that we just don't like something. Do you like seafood? Many people do not. Is it "their fault" they don't like seafood, or just "the way they are"? I WANT to like amped vocals. I have TRIED listening to it (not just once, either). I have discovered that I absolutely, positively do not like amped vocals in drumcorps. But, don't try to put it "on me" because I am forced to leave because of changes in the activity...It's not like I am "choosing" not to like the amps...It is just the way that I am. Don't get me wrong, I will be here until the MAJORITY of the top twelve are all singing or narrating in their shows. After that...sayonara.

I don't hate ALL amplification.  I am okay with amped pits.  I am NOT okay with amped voice...BECAUSE OF THE SHOWS I HAVE WATCHED THAT INCLUDED IT...not trying to shout, just making a point.  All of the amped vocals have made me cringe thus far, and nothing I have heard has led me to believe that there may even be a chance that I would like amped voice in a show.  That is why I am against it.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that a lot of amp use hasn't worked in shows. And I've always been clear that I don't care for amped voice, but that's my problem. BD is not doing as well this year as I'm sure they would like, and I think it has a lot to do with a problem with spending too much time talking and not enough playing (to echo GMichaels sig), so I hope all corps will learn from that. I love the example that PR is showing this year, though, among others, and I'm willing to give individual efforts in amplification the benefit of the doubt before summarily condemning amps.

I don't hate ALL amplification.  I am okay with amped pits.  I am NOT okay with amped voice...BECAUSE OF THE SHOWS I HAVE WATCHED THAT INCLUDED IT...not trying to shout, just making a point.  All of the amped vocals have made me cringe thus far, and nothing I have heard has led me to believe that there may even be a chance that I would like amped voice in a show.  That is why I am against it.

My view exactly! I have yet to see a show, corps or band, where I thought that the use of amplified voice did anything but detract from the performance. I can take or leave the amplified pit, and amplified "sound effects" (like whistling) can sometimes add an interesting twist to the music if it's done right ... but amplified voice? I've yet to be impressed.

Guest DrumCorpFan
Wow.  This is not rocket science.

Which other direction to go is there for those fans who you say left because DCI went "further" than they wished besides backwards?  They're not happy with the way things are, otherwise, THEY WOULDN'T HAVE LEFT IN THE FIRST PLACE.  And, I think I'm pretty safe in assuming that they wouldn't be happy with any more changes in the future (unless, of course, they changed things BACK to the way they were when they marched :P).  So you tell me, which way is there left to go besides backwards?  Let's invent a direction.  :lolhit:

Well, your wrong about that. you see, I really like many of the changes that have occurred, especially with drills. Great visuals in the '90s and 00s. Seeing as I marched 1978-1985, I do not want to go back to that. Yes there are some elements I would like to see included, but the drills are fascinating. I want them to continue to push the envelop into uncharted waters.

Now, who said changing was moving forward?

Guest DrumCorpFan
I've also never read a post where you actually come out and say that BD is your favorite corps.  Now, how could I possibly know that since you never actually said it?  :lolhit:

I'm not trying to cause trouble, I promise.  I simply don't understand how advocacy for eliminating changes over the last couple of years is not, in fact, advocacy for moving backwards.  It's fun to see people try to say otherwise, though.

If that move wasn't really a move forward, than retracting it would not be a move backward.

Are we still speaking temporally anyway?