Famous, or infamous, corps stories, myths, legends

2-7 really won 80 finals due to BD using a few horns that were either trumpets or could be played in a different key. Supposedly DCI caught it on the tape in September of the same year and and they said it was too late to reverse the winner - yada, yada, yada. :beer:

I posted that on here I think last year and a BDer said that the true story is something like their horns had a slide (or a piece of the horn) that had to be set to a certain place, if it went further it could be tuned differently or something like that.

*If the person who answered me is reading this or if someone else knows or remembers, would you mind posting it?

I didn't even know slides were still being used in 80, I thought they and rotors were gone by then but maybe not for all corps. (you can tell I know nothing of about horns)

Boy was my bubble burst, for 24 years I actually thought we were the winners, just not announced. j/k of course!

:P

I have a couple that should not really be spoken of here.

But I'll be back with some others....at work as usual!

In 1987 or 1988 in a small show in southern Ohio our screamer (jeff wilt) played his high note at the end of the intro and blacked out. he marched the whole first half of the opener without knowing what he was doing. the sop next to him kept nudging him or grabbing his arm on direction changes until he came to his senses about mid way through the opener.

I remember the narrow stairwells and the boiler room. Also the cafateria/auditorium/gym was interesting to see. That school had to be built in the middle 1800's, do you know when it was built?

Would like to visit again sometime.

I do believe late 1800s so the school is definitely a "century school", if you will.

I posted that on here I think last year and a BDer said that the true story is something like their horns had a slide (or a piece of the horn) that had to be set to a certain place, if it went further it could be tuned differently or something like that.

*If the person who answered me is reading this or if someone else knows or remembers, would you mind posting it?

The sopranos had a slide on it such that any note could be tuned. There was a stop on the horns so "illegal" notes could not be played (and they weren't).

Our sopranos were constantly inspected by judges prior to shows, as a result of other corps requests for the inspections ([ cough]...Rockford...[ cough])

The bathrooms on the Madison buses in the '70's didn't work so the "botttle method" for urine storage occasionally had to be used. In '78 (?'79) the horn bus took some sharp turns in the Colorodo Rockies and a glass orange juice container full of urine (maybe one gallon) came crashing down on one poor guy's head.

He was drenched, his head was gashed open and it wasn't even his own bottle! True story, happened one seat in front off me.

to add to this story, when i marched Scouts we had different rookies have jobs on the bus. We called them boys ie beverage boy had coolers of pop, garabage boy threw away garbage if you had some and you guessed it..... #### boy bought you the milk carton to #### in!!!!

on Scouts busses in the 70's and 80's, the drum bus had a bar in their restroom. so guys would drink all night and just get bombed.

also heard a story from the early 80's, 80 81 82 dont know which, they were driving home from a show in northern wis appleton maybe, anyway the corps got drunk at a local tavern and pulled over to pee, dont know if its true but I heard one of the buses wizzed on a electric fence. Again, that one may be myth!!!

There's the Neil Peart in Phantom one...

Of course, there's also the now-mythical story of a certain person who left BD in the late 70's, and the words Wayne Downey, "EBBUBERY" and "EVERYONE".

Consult your local r.a.m.d newsgroup for more information on that one.

hey, stealing my lines now! that's the one i've always laughed at....so i use it quite frequently, right jeff?

Ü

jan

Also 1983 Geneseo Knights who wouldn't let a judge break ranks or something like that somewhere around midseason.  only to have their scores level off and corps that they had been beating started passing them and they missed finals that year after sitting in about 9th or 10th place mid season.

well, i can tell you that isn't true. i marched geneseo in '82, and basically the same thing happened to us, at whitewater. the big DUMP! 14 points overnight. we had beaten cavaliers and suncoast, and then that. WHAM! right in the face.....

Ü

jan