Famous, or infamous, corps stories, myths, legends

One of our dear bus drivers alias Harry Crash Kizer, seemed to tear something up every year. One year he backed the equipment truck into a stadium fence ripping out part of the top! While we were CA, he backed into a telephone pole knocking it down with live wires flashing and all on top of our bus! We thought we were going to be fried! On the way to prelims in 1980, he cut through some neighborhood and side swiped a green Volkswagon.....he was going to stop but we knew we would be late for warm-ups so everyone on the bus yelled, "BOLT, HARRY, BOLT!" Come to find out that VW's owner was a state trooper! OOPS! :sshh:

Edited by Malibu

One of our dear bus drivers alias Harry Crash Kizer, seemed to tear something up every year.
:bleah: Understand our busses were older than we were (circa mid to late 60s) and inherited from the Bleu Raiders through the Southernaires. We were stopped in '89 leaving Racine by a cop b/c a corps bus had sideswipped a car. Bill W., our brass caption head (who had marched both those corps), walked him around the bus enumerating EVERY ding, dent, and scratch. I think the cop let us go just to get away from Bill. They did find out who it was, as there had only been 7 or 8 corps in the show the night before, but I don't remember who.

?

For those of us that did not...how 'bout 'splainin'?

Too tired to write about it now, but I will try and recap it tomorrow.

The incident happened in Milwaukee. The Code of Conduct penalty was issued in Ypsilanti at prelims. Most people thought it was because a staff member came running onto the field, in the middle of the show, and reset some of the flag poles which must have been placed incorrectly when they came on.

No it was Stillwater, MN

I herd a story that back in the 70's some BD drum staff broke the hands of other corps snare players.

Then there is the BD bass drummer that was caught smoking pot, thats been on here before but ive herd it a little different, i herd it was in 2002, and that the corps bailed him out at the last minute, hid his drum and uniform in a bush near the staduim entrance and made it out onto the feild just as the drum majpor was asked if the corps was ready.

in 2002 vanguard aided the police in stoping a runaway criminal that happened to run thru the stadium they where rehersing in. That is a true story

in 2002 more than half of phantom had the flu at finals, members actually passing out during the retreat

I can't believe no one has told any of the old Tom Float stories

The BD thing wasn't in 02. The whole weed incident happened in 2000 as people mentioned before. I know someone who saw BD marching to the gate with 4 basses and saw the other bass drummer in street clothes just chilling, and next thing he knew the guy was on the field in uni with his drum. Rumor is they hid the drum and uni on the truck the guy got it and ran on the field at the beginning and off at the end, no one ever fessed up to assisting in the incident.

(Reference to illegal activity removed by OldAgeOut)

Reference to a legal activity inserted by KevinSop85

D'oh

You get that 2002 SCV story from chris? I think I remember hearing it. Pretty cool anyways.

I herd a story that back in the 70's some BD drum staff broke the hands of other corps snare players.

Then there is the BD bass drummer that was caught smoking pot, thats been on here before but ive herd it a little different, i herd it was in 2002, and that the corps bailed him out at the last minute, hid his drum and uniform in a bush near the staduim entrance and made it out onto the feild just as the drum majpor was asked if the corps was ready.

in 2002 vanguard aided the police in stoping a runaway criminal that happened to run thru the stadium they where rehersing in. That is a true story

in 2002 more than half of phantom had the flu at finals, members actually passing out during the retreat

I can't believe no one has told any of the old Tom Float stories