Famous, or infamous, corps stories, myths, legends

oh yeah....

'93 Star drumline only played 8 on a hand for a warm-up.....

'89 BD sop soloist didn't get on the bus after finals and was never heard from again....actually this one's been debunked, but I still love it when people say it with such seriousness.

'95 SCV drums had a member that gradually got more and more dellusional as the season went on....started seeing things and what not....

'88 (?) Cadets tried to start the year without a guard because they thought they wouldn't need one and had to teach members of the huge hornline how to spin....(that's a good one)

86 Cadets I think you mean

• Like 1

Cavie's member tried to steal a BD uniform in '09. Think it was during Texas tour. Rookie member who was subsequently and briskly kicked out.

Someone talked about a member drinking urine for rookie talent night. Very true, happened late 90s with a west coast corps. That's all I will divulge.

How bad did it taste?

I'm going to assume not well, no matter how well hydrated the member actually was. But the story did find its way to the staff, who gave the member hell about it the next day. Eventually the member got fed up with it, and quit. Was not kicked out of the corps.

Someone talked about a member drinking urine for rookie talent night. Very true, happened late 90s with a west coast corps. That's all I will divulge.

The member was made to drink urine by a west coast corps during his rookie talent nite in the 90's, the staff found out about this dangerous disease ridden initiation rite, but took no disciplinary action with anyone at all. ? Whoa ! Thats really an unfortunate adult problem there at that west coast corps at that time to take no disciplinary action with that potentially life threatening issue there back in the 90's.

Edited by BRASSO

I know for certain that SCV marched overage members in 2 of their '70's Championship years.

The member was made to drink urine by a west coast corps during his rookie talent nite in the 90's, the staff found out about this dangerous disease ridden initiation rite, but took no disciplinary action with anyone at all. ? Whoa ! Thats really an unfortunate adult problem there at that west coast corps at that time to take no disciplinary action with that potentially life threatening issue there back in the 90's.

Wasn't made to do anything, he volunteered to do it. Rookie talent night is a crazy thing that has members do a lot of crazy and unmentionable things. Lots of things that can't be repeated. Said member also quit the next day once word got out about it. It was clarified right above your post.

This has been a fun read. I'll throw in a few memories.

'95 Southwind had a run-in with some gangsters. One of our contra players was wearing a red do-rag and apparently that was the rival color of the local gang in that territory. They made it clear he better not be seen wearing those colors again.

'95 Southwind had a strong bond with Colts that year. As previously mentioned regarding Troopers drumline beating up someone.....at the show in Ankeny, Iowa, SW and Colts were blocked on either side of Troopers in retreat. Both corps lined up on the yard lines next to Troopers in a company front and turned and faced the Troopers block.

'96 Southwind a cymbal player (cough cough), took exception to being elbowed purposefully by a Crown contra player as we filed into the stadium for retreat. After giving numerous warnings.....well let's just say the Crown contra (the horn) sustained quite a bit of damage from the bottom of a djembe drum said cymbal player was carrying.

Heard a story from Southwind '91 regarding Southwind (then Div II) beating Troopers (Div. I) in drums. Troopers drum staff showed up in front of Southwind's busses and burned their recap sheets.

A member of Southwind in '97 managed to steal one of Phantom's helmets and hide it on a bus. The helmet WAS discovered, though, and that member had to deliver the helmet and apologize in person to drum major Christy Spears and the Phantom member it was taken from.

Southwind '95 had it's equipment truck break down and had to perform in Dallas in shorts and T-shirts using Scouts' drums and Colts' horns and pit equipment

Scouts '98 had a bari player who also played Div. III football for a small college in Minnesota. He carried dumbells with him on tour and would do workouts in down time.

Scouts had a tradition of warm-legging someone in the shower.

I'm sure I have plenty more but these were the ones that popped in my head.