Cadets 2000

After watching both shows several times in a row, from all different angles...

...I have to change my mind and say that I think by the slimmest of margins, Cadets 2000 was ahead of Cavaliers 2000. While I think they both had amazing visual programs, I think Cadets' brass pulls them slightly ahead.

The real question is...what was the GE Visual judge smoking, giving Devs the highest score in that caption, ahead of Cavs and Cadets? Devils were pretty dang good that year, but in that category, I've got to go with Cadets or Cavaliers, not Devils.

I dunno, I don't think either show was better than the other that year. The sounds coming from the cavies were incredible. The cavies and cadets march and sound so differently you can't really compare. Neither was better than the other and they both deserved to share the title in my opinion.

What The????

I just saw Satan sliding by on a snowboard!

Nikk actually COMPLIMENTED the CADETS??!?!??!!

Will wonders never cease?

:P

What The????

I just saw Satan sliding by on a snowboard!

Nikk actually COMPLIMENTED the CADETS??!?!??!!

Will wonders never cease?

:P

HAH!

...I have to change my mind and say that I think by the slimmest of margins, Cadets 2000 was ahead of Cavaliers 2000.  While I think they both had amazing visual programs, I think Cadets' brass pulls them slightly ahead.

The real question is...what was the GE Visual judge smoking, giving Devs the highest score in that caption, ahead of Cavs and Cadets?  Devils were pretty dang good that year, but in that category, I've got to go with Cadets or Cavaliers, not Devils.

You must have different recordings than I have seen. Cadets low brass was muddled and constantly disappearing the recordings that I have seen and heard. As much as I liked Cadets that year I thought Cavies brought it on finals night and Cadets were a bit flat. And in regards to the Vis GE numbers that night, way too much scatter drill, for my tastes, to warrant a higher placing for Cadets. But for BD over Cavies in that caption...must have been a hookah in the press box.

Edited by MagicAlto99

I saw the show from the upper deck, right around the fifty. At the time, before Cavies and Cadets performed at finals, I remember thinking that the Cadets had a lock on the championship, from the two previous nights, which I remember being quite good shows from them. After both corps performed, I felt very strongly that the Cavaliers had gained the upper hand and won the championship. I was actually disappointed with the outcome of the tie, because it did not appear to me that the first and second place issue deserved that much discussion--the Cavies were that much better, and consistent across the board, in my view. Personally, I see The Cavaliers finals show in 2000 as the most convincing win of the three-peat. I didn't notice any significant weakness in the production, as I did with the Cadets (as noted, the hornline, which had an off-night, IMO). I couldn't agree less with the GE Vis outcome...Cavaliers winning that caption should have been a no-brainer, again, IMO. BD was also outstanding that year, but their GE Visual couldn't have been better than second, behind the Cavaliers, with Cadets in third.

That's how I saw it. :) The Cavaliers final show was devestatingly good. ^0^

I agree with you, Festive. Had similar viewpoint for the show, too. Cavies should have won GE visual, and the show.

Harvey

...I have to change my mind and say that I think by the slimmest of margins, Cadets 2000 was ahead of Cavaliers 2000.  While I think they both had amazing visual programs, I think Cadets' brass pulls them slightly ahead.

Well, it was the brass that did win it for them, after all. Cavaliers took every other caption, but wound up half a point back in brass. If you think that spread is deserving, well, maybe you have a different recording than I do. Cadets had moments that were absolutely great, but they also had moments that simply were not. I'm no doctor (or on my way to being one), but I feel the Cavaliers were more consistent in execution than the Cadets that year, and simply had the better show.

Of course, both corps had great shows that year, and great performances, and you'll never hear me say otherwise.

I was there finals night and most everyone around me felt the Cadets should have won outright. I thought they clearly outperformed the Cavies in brass and drums that night, and the Cadets should have won high GE visual. Their show was more difficult to march and just as well performed. Cavies use a lot of short sequential moves that look harder when performed by the whole corps at different times, but what the Cadets did as far as brass and visual was much more difficult.

JMO

Jonathan

I thought BD outperformed them both on finals night, but agree with their placing 3rd. Sat. was the worst performance by the Cadets out of the 3 nights, IMO, and the Cavs were pretty on. I was surprised by the brass score. The Cadets were the loudest, IMO, but not the best, especially on finals night. Brass was a toss-up between BD and Cavies, to me anyway.