DCI future locations?

SEATTLE!!!!!! Warhawk Stadium!!!! I hate living in Florida after spending so much time in Washington this summer. The climate is so nice up there aside from all of the rain. Close enough to California without all of the heat, humidity, and from what I've read, gangs.

Every state has gangs.......nobody expects DCI to hold finals in Watts or East Los Angeles, or even Compton. Gangs are no worse in L.A. than they are anywhere else....California, Los Angeles in particular, has always been misunderstood....you just need to know where not to go....like I mentioned earlier, I have been to some pretty seedy parts of the country, while on tour with drum corps, and after and you just have to have a sense about these things....Pasadena is a fine city and your worries about gangs should be no different than they are in Seattle....yes, Seattle has gangs as well!

B)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ricestadium.jpg

Call me crazy, BUT...

I always recall Utah having insane drum corps crowds (yeah I know mostly "bandos" but who is our target market anyways?). Provo is a beautiful place and has an awesome facility! Longshot, but I would dig it!

sample.jpg

Seattle... If not for the running track, a stadium MADE for DCI

sample.jpg

Then of course, if we are gonna do SoCal, the only place to have finals would be Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego. The Rose Bowl is to big (over 100,000) and too low. Corps would just get lost in there. I can think of no other stadium worse for a drum corps show.

DCI Championships 1991- Dallas, Texas

DCI Championships 1993- Jackson, Mississippi

I would call those both the South. I have one word. HOT. In Jackson, the local ambulances could not keep up with the heat casualties from the corps that week. I'd have to say that's the main reason drum corps does not flourish in the South. TOO DARN HOT.

I think Foxboro was hotter than some years in Orlando. I guess in August it can be blazing hot not matter where you are in the country

I think Foxboro was hotter than some years in Orlando. I guess in August it can be blazing hot not matter where you are in the country

Thank you. The argument that finals shouldn't be held in the south because of heat is ridiculous. It's hot everywhere in August (most everywhere, that is). During finals in Kansas City back in the late 80s, it was near 100 degrees. We had shows in the midwest a few years ago when there was a heatwave and the temps topped 100. Even Denver reached the low to mid 90s two weeks prior to finals this summer, and that is the usual temperature range for the south every summer.

The fact is that it's August, it's summer, and it's hot. The only weather related issue that I would suggest keeping finals away from the gulf and southern atlantic coast is hurricane season. but heat? Nope. You just can't predict when it will be oppressively hot...and conversely, you never know when a cold front will move through and temps will drop. Last summer was one of the coolest summers on record and on August 14th, Atlanta had temps drop into the 50s at night. You just never know.

Why not Seattle? Distance? No different than West Coast corps going to Florida, or Boston.