Most annoying narration

Who has the most annoying narration  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the most annoying narration

• 1. Bluecoats
    • 2. Cadets
    • 3. Cascades
    • 4. Blue Devils

Proof! "Tika Taka tika taka and whatever that drum rap cadets was doing was way more then the "Yowsa" Yowsa was said 6 times in a matter of 15 seconds and that was it for "Yowsa."

Okay, but what about the rest of BD's narration. People don't just have a problem with "yowza". They are annoyed by all of it.

When amps were passed I was as against it as anyone else. I have come to accept its use, even if vocals are performed. Cadets vocalization, while odd to say the least, was appropriate to what they were playing. Bluecoats drum vocals were actually very interesting. I think they added to the show.

Vocals are cool if the show does not depend on them. Take them out of Cadets, or Bluecoats shows and there is no problem. Take out BD's narration and you are left with . . . .

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They were all equally annoying.

In the audio category, the Blue Devils easily because of the sheer volume (yes, I know there are two definitions of this word, and both apply) of the narration. In terms of visual -- that goes to the Bluecoats. I had to keep from laughing when I saw what they were doing. For you see, watching narration/amped vocals can be as annoying as hearing it. Fortunately, we got to hear that nifty expalanation after the show about the meaning and basis of the scatting so we can now appreciate it more :ph34r: For me the worst moment in the Cinecast was when the announcer, Brandt Crocker, had to wait on Bluecoat's "ready" -- because they were testing the mics!!! Horrible!!! Next to the error in Phantom's score announcement, that got the biggest groan of the night in Dublin, CA.

Cascades narration was fitting and appropriate. All others were unnecessary. Unfortunately, it's a big part of the Blue Devils's show. I'm appalled that Cadets deem it necessary to include vocal drum rapping. Just give us a good "anything you can do, I can do better" feature like Cadets did in 2000.

Tim

feedback i got from people who went:

"if cadets sang like they played, they would have scored a 99"

"due to excessive narration, BD played for maybe 7 minutes...tho, given their music performance, that was no plus either"

"Coats were more innovative with log drums than a microphone"

"Seattle, well, they tried to be a big boy and it got them just into semis"

I don't think what Coats did is really "narration" per se.

But yeah, its still annoying.

To me the most annoying vocal was Bluecoats. While not as prevalent as BD, its just amping for the sake of amping. The real shame is that it precedes a super snare/tenor segment. The sense I got tonight was that people were still in the act of saying "that sucked" about the hip hop while the battery lick was starting.

I voted for Cadets, because theirs really distracts from an otherwise-excellent show.

Blue Devils take the cake on this one. I couldn't help but cringe all through their show (both times I've seen it). I swear I could actually feel my blood pressure rise because I'm so annoyed by that whole deal.

I think Seattle's narration was good in that it gave me a better idea about what the show was about (I've only seen them in Indy before this and they didn't have the narration that night). BUT, having said that..I still really disliked it. I think it would have been okay if it didn't go on and on throughout the whole show. I was feeling a little cheesed out by the whole thing.

The Cadets' voices were actually pretty cool I thought. I don't think many people in the Lincolnshire theater agreed with me on that (was not a very Cadet-friendly crowd AT ALL), but ohwell -- I enjoyed it, so poo on them. :)

The Bluecoats' drum speak was well done, too, I thought. I got to the theater early and had the opportunity to hear a good explanation of it on the Field Pass before the show began. I think hearing the idea behind it helps.

I'm not completely against narration. I think it can be done well to enhance a show, but like someone else already mentioned, if a show DEPENDS on it, then there is a problem. Case in point: Blue Devils.

Cascades narration was fitting and appropriate.  All others were unnecessary.  Unfortunately, it's a big part of the Blue Devils's show.  I'm appalled that Cadets deem it necessary to include vocal drum rapping.  Just give us a good "anything you can do, I can do better" feature like Cadets did in 2000.

Tim

I'm appalled at the Cascade's insipid narration. "The ground...blah, blah, blah..." People in my theater were laughing (hysterically!). It was suck city.