The unofficial SCV is getting HOSED thread!

i suppose it's a little late to chime in on this seeing as how the topic really no longer has anything to do with vanguard's show, but i have this to offer on the subject.

i'm generally a fan of vanguard, and the russian show, so i found it pretty hard to believe when some instructors and alumns (yes vanguard, who will of course remain nameless) told me that this year's show was particularly weak and deserving of the 9ish place range.

after seeing the show the other night for the first time since it was still being learned, i hate to say i have to agree. the show generally drags, the horn score doesn't have a lot of different levels to it in my opinion. there are issues here and there, with the guard for example, and also the drill. obviously, the drumline isn't what it was last year (while we're on the subject seriously murray, how much lower can drums be?).

do i think the show should be that low. after watching everyone above them last night, i'd have to say yes. but let's not forget that there was a period in the early-mid 90s (before my time) when vanguard was pretty much in the basement as well. only since the late 90's have they had the kind of success they started out with, and everyone has to have a down year sometime. we should also make note of the fair number of staffing changes that were made this year. you can't say that's the reason, but it certainly could be a contributing factor.

i'm sure they'll take this year as a wake up call and bounce back next year.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And BTW guys, the personal attacks are getting a tad bit out of hand, lets tone it down a bit, please.... thanks.

I'm just as hurt/upset with Vanguard's placement as anyone. I think the percussion is getting screwed as much as SCV 92 and Cadets 89, but there is no reason to get so upset. I'm going to enjoy this year's show for a long time, and that's a good thing.

And, I know the kids have had a very fun and educational summer...they're what it's all about. Our day has come and gone.

Wow Paul that is VERY cool.  You moved the band vs. drum corps relationship exactly nowhere versus where it was 30 years ago. Nice job.  Bando, and even more clever, Bando 2, nice job.  Keep it up.  Classy.

Jon,

Wake-up brother, band- drum corps relationship, it’s all the same. Gone are the bugles that gave the activity its unique sound. Amps, singing, and narration all that was once the domain of bands has now crept into the activity. Woodwinds are just around the corner. I have a suggestion that would make the transformation complete. Let’s reduce the guard and replace them with CHEERLEADERS! Pom poms instead of flags! I’m sure the activity would get more air time on cable. Hey maybe another movie! Drum and Cheer International…hey it’s still DCI!

Jon,

Wake-up brother, band- drum corps relationship, it’s all the same. Gone are the bugles that gave the activity its unique sound. Amps, singing, and narration all that was once the domain of bands has now crept into the activity. Woodwinds are just around the corner.  I have a suggestion that would make the transformation complete. Let’s reduce the guard and replace them with CHEERLEADERS! Pom poms instead of flags! I’m sure the activity would get more air time on cable. Hey maybe another movie! Drum and Cheer International…hey it’s still DCI!

Paul, you missed Jon's point ENTIRELY. I suggest you go back and re-read it.

Paul, you missed Jon's point ENTIRELY.  I suggest you go back and re-read it.

No I didn’t miss his point. Let’s have a group hug while the traditions and uniqueness that made drum and bugle corps special gradually slip away. Do you think Gail would sit still and see the activity go through drastic changes? He’s not with us to answer, but IMO he would hate the direction the activity is going. I know Jerry wasn’t fond of the activity in its current state. He told me so! In fact after he went to his first DCA championship show he called me, very excited, “…that was real drum corps.”

Everybody has a right to be a fan! The more the merrier! I do have a problem with “new” fans that have little to no experience within the drum and bugle corps activity or any knowledge of the activities traditions getting on this forum and declaring one show is superior or inferior to any other.

Marching bands existed long before drum and bugle corps. So why didn’t the founders of the competitive junior drum and bugle corps circuit just start a competitive marching band circuit? Because they wanted something unique! Would the 65 Royal Aires been any better with amps! How about the 69 Kilties with narration? I can hear it now “(very dramatically)…oh I don’t think that I can take it, because it took so long to make it and I’ll never have that recipe again… oh noooo” How about 87 SCV? “As the Orthodox priest raises the chalice in sacrament we hear the rumble of the tubas, but wait, where’s the drum line? Here they come yowzea yowzea!

I think the percussion is getting screwed as much as SCV 92 and Cadets 89...

Cadets 1989 got 4th in percussion! Considering their corps took 5th overall that year, I don't see how their percussion score could be considered bad?

1989 Percussion Performance (Finals - August 19th):

1. Santa Clara Vanguard 14.9

2. Cavaliers 14.8

3. Star of Indiana 14.7

4. Cadets of Bergen County 14.5

5. Phantom Regiment 14.4

6. Blue Devils 14.3

(I still have the Drum Corps World newspaper from 1989 :D)

their aim seems to be nothing more than to tear down the kids who are in the very position that they were once in years ago.

A point has been missed and I've noticed several of the younger guys saying this. Today's members are NOT in a similar position to the older alumni. They are out in the sun on a field or in a stadium playing instruments, but that's where the similarity ends.

I really do appreciate the quality of today's performers. They are much more together than we were. I just want them to entertain me!

Getting back to the topic, I liked SCV this year. They played to my interests and tastes. To me and many others, that's worth points. The one thing I know for sure is that they won't play to my interests next year.

After watching Vanguard give it there all last night, I sat thinking to myself, "are the judges in the same universe"?

That show has cleaned up considerably in the past 6 weeks, and what shows is that the kids took a sub par product and turned it into a top six show.

There is no way this show deserves ninth. Period!

Except for the fact 8-1 have stepped it up BIG TIME this year.

After watching the DCI quarterfinals cinecast, I have to reluctantly agree that Vanguard probably deserves ninth place.

It's NOT because they "suck", or their show is "flat", or they're having an "off year". All these armchair quarterbacks just LOVE to come out with all this frankly, presumptuous tear down commentary on corps that are not doing as well competitively as they have in the past.

What happened to Vanguard this year was: There are eight corps out there that just happen to have better shows this year.

PERIOD.

I firmly believe this 2005 show of SCV'S would easily stomp all over many, many other top 5 SCV shows of the past.

But I would certainly agree with the point that SCV WILL come back SWINGING next year. Of THAT you can be certain.