Why drum corps has changed and why it's good

I didn't know that every kid was entitled to march in a top 12 corps.  Strange that DCI has never made that clear.  I do know that they have the same opportunity to audition for a corps as anybody else.  I also know that every year there are lots of corps with open spots.

What and who are you complaining about here?

I'm complaining about a monopolistic junior corps entity that has a growing fan base and a financial model that is experiencing negative growth. The calculus cannot sustain it's idea of being for the kids when it ultimately denies the great majority of kids access to participate.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet, it's still kids who march.  As it always has been.

Post your message on some of the websites of some of those corps with open holes throughout the summer.

I think what he's also saying is that the financial "national touring model" so many of the big groups have may put it out of reach for some kids to do.

I don't know how true that is, as most kids are offered help if they need it...nevertheless, its certainly an argument that could at least be used in support of restoring some more of the "regional" flavor to the activity, something that would keep costs down somewhat.

Edited by bawker

I understand where he's coming from, I just don't see who or what he's blaming for this. There are countless factors that have shaped drum corps to become what it is today. Who or what is he blaming with this post?

It's for the kids. I know this because, wow, kids are the ones marching. Pretty simple.

I'm not going to bore anyone with a long detailed post, but in a few short words, I'll say this.

I LOVE Drum Corps, now, then, and until they spread my ashes over the Blue Devils practice field "Mars".

I can only hope that there is a drum corps in heaven, and you can bet your ### I'll be a a part of it.

It's for the kids.  I know this because, wow, kids are the ones marching.  Pretty simple.

For the most part, as with the original post, I agree...but there is a certain difference that drum corps has.

The closest neighbor to drum corps is BOA/USSBA/TOB style marching bands. Yet, once kids graduate out of those programs, that's it. No more involvement with their program, and if it is, it's extremely limited in timeframe and scope. It's a stepping stone, and see ya later.

With corps, there's almost a "military" type kinship that exists...as the old saying goes, "a Cavalier from 1950 can meet a Cavalier from 2005 and they'll have certain things in common", etc. Same with a lot of other corps. That bond, that kinship is intrinsic to what propels this little activity along. It's why people who marched in 1950 still buy tickets to Finals.

So, there is some small expectation (note, I said small :P) that these programs will deliver in certain areas of programming, design and the like. Clearly, the days of BAC playing "Conquest" every year and so on are gone...and that's not what I'm suggesting.

But, when kids put that uniform on, they become part of something that is indeed greater than themselves. All of us here (whether through corps, military, band or sports) have felt that in one way or another, and it's an inspiring feeling, one that motivates you to do your best. That tradition, that honor...it's all yours. That is what so many who post here are afraid of...not neccessarily dancing guards, or horn key change, or whatever...but losing what shaped them by way of leaving those traditions behind.

So, in some ways, it is all about the kids...but in others, its still about living up to those that came before as well...and well, I don't think that's selfish at all.

The other thing: Today's drum corps is entertaining for today's fans - maybe just not you.

It's absolutes like this that kill me - there's usually something in the corps lineup for everyone during a season. Even if I see content or music that I don't care for, I'm still in awe of the sheer execution levels corps attain.

I understand where he's coming from, I just don't see who or what he's blaming for this.  There are countless factors that have shaped drum corps to become what it is today.  Who or what is he blaming with this post?

It's for the kids.  I know this because, wow, kids are the ones marching.  Pretty simple.

It's only countless because you haven't counted.

It IS for the kids though. It's just got more elitism now. Drum corps used to be for poor kids on the street with nothing better to do in the summer. Now it's for the kids who can pay a $3000 touring fee.

For the most part, as with the original post, I agree...but there is a certain difference that drum corps has.

The closest neighbor to drum corps is BOA/USSBA/TOB style marching bands. Yet, once kids graduate out of those programs, that's it. No more involvement with their program, and if it is, it's extremely limited in timeframe and scope. It's a stepping stone, and see ya later.

With corps, there's almost a "military" type kinship that exists...as the old saying goes, "a Cavalier from 1950 can meet a Cavalier from 2005 and they'll have certain things in common", etc. Same with a lot of other corps. That bond, that kinship is intrinsic to what propels this little activity along. It's why people who marched in 1950 still buy tickets to Finals.

So, there is some small expectation (note, I said small :P) that these programs will deliver in certain areas of programming, design and the like. Clearly, the days of BAC playing "Conquest" every year and so on are gone...and that's not what I'm suggesting.

But, when kids put that uniform on, they become part of something that is indeed greater than themselves. All of us here (whether through corps, military, band or sports) have felt that in one way or another, and it's an inspiring feeling, one that motivates you to do your best. That tradition, that honor...it's all yours. That is what so many who post here are afraid of...not neccessarily dancing guards, or horn key change, or whatever...but losing what shaped them by way of leaving those traditions behind.

So, in some ways, it is all about the kids...but in others, its still about living up to those that came before as well...and well, I don't think that's selfish at all.

Bawker-

You nailed it!

Well Said! :worthy: