Booing and not clapping

It's those hardcore cavie fans. They always sit in a section...

Like in 2003, did they honestly expect that they were going to win against Blue Devils that night? But it was hushed 10 folds by the roaring BD fans.

Tommy, I usually get my tickets in the Cavie block. I attend many shows including finals in 96 through 03. I have never heard a boo out of the block that I sat in. These folks are drum corps fanatics. That is the reason that I have sat with them. They root for all corps, but even more for the Cavaliers. Most applaud for every show. Are you just generalizing, or do you actually know that Cavaliers fans boo other corps? Expecting and wanting your corps to win is not the same as rooting against another corps and booing their results.

Young grasshopper, you need to be more careful who you accuse and how you accuse them. <**>

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This line of thought is SO wrong. And it's always presented as a don't hurt the kids situation. If the people in the stands who PAID to be there were not entertained enough to applaud so be it. It's called free enterprise. If you want the audiance to applaud out or respect pass out free tickets.

As for the booing......... they aren't booing the kids.....they're booiong the programs that the PAID staffs are giving them to perform.

So quit hiding behind the kids and change the rules so that the staffs will write programs that audiences will WANT to applaud because they have been entertained and not out of obligation.

I have to get this off my chest.    I was very disturbed to see people at championships not clapping for many corps.    <**>  I'm not talking about not going overboard, just simply acknowledging the "clap for us now" moments of all the corps programs.

Some did not even clap at the end and give every corp a standing ovation on finals night.  Good grief!!    They made finals and worked their butts off, least you can do is stand up for 30 seconds and make the members understand how much you appreciate them. 

And lastly......I heard some boo's during awards.  That just ticks me off.    I dont care if you did not like a corp(s), stand up and clap.  Yell louder and longer for the corp(s) you loved!!   

Next time that you chose to boo or not clap.....here is what me and my friends think, and are saying,  about you behind your back:  1) You never marched corp and dont get it    2) You marched so long ago that you forgot what it feels like and dont understand that the corp members in XX corp work(ed) just as hard as the one that you liked.    :(  3) Go boo someone making money to entertain you and not the members/staff in this activity.

I remember sitting in horror and hearing 1993 Star being booed.    They left the activity.  Granted it was for many reasons....but let's not let history repeat itself due to your distorted perspective of what this activity is about.    That show is now regarded as cutting edge and ahead of it's time.    Did you boo that show too?

Support the corps.  Support the members.  Clap darn it.  And your mother should spank you if you boo any corp.....regardless of the "logic" in your mind that you aren't booing the members....just the "insert your logic here (director/amps/show,etc.)"  Bull.  You are booing the members and not clapping for all their hard work.   

Any yes, I put my money where my mouth is.  There was one show that I truly disliked this year......I clapped and stood up.  And yes, they were MUCH better from Murfreesboro to Boston..but I still didnt like it.  But, I clapped and stood up.

I hope that everyone might, just maybe,  take this seriously. 

Thanks !    Rant over.  I feel better.

The difference is that most corps in D1 rarely "struggle" through their performances.

I don't think that explains it. At least it doesn't address the reasons stated here why some say they don't applaud certain corps. The reason given by the clapless is they weren't entertained. If that's the case, the struggle isn't relevant. Like the struggling D3 corps that gets polite (or better) applause, don't the hard-working members of the D1 corps whose programs fails to impress also deserve some acknowledgement?

HH

This line of thought is SO wrong.  And it's always presented as a don't hurt the kids situation.  If the people in the stands who PAID to be there were not entertained enough to applaud so be it.  It's called free enterprise.  If you want the audiance to applaud out or respect pass out free tickets.

As for the booing......... they aren't booing the kids.....they're booiong the programs that the PAID staffs are giving them to perform. 

So quit hiding behind the kids and change the rules so that the staffs will write programs that audiences will WANT to applaud because they have been entertained and not out of obligation.

I agree with you 100%. It makes me wonder why kids would devote a summer to the stuff their staff's give them to perform. They must be indentured.

Hmmm. Maybe you could take your own advice and start working on changing the rules/programs rather than using non-specific forms of public communications in the hopes that someone somewhere will hear what you did or didn't say among thousands of other voices and know to change whatever it was you were thinking but not actually saying. Not only would that be a boon to innocent performers, it might even be more efficient and effective.

HH

Edited by glory

Or another thought is that the staff is writing for the judges, not the audiences.

Just an observation. :)

Hmmm. Maybe you could take your own advice and start working on changing the rules/programs rather than using non-specific forms of public communications in the hopes that someone somewhere will hear what you did or didn't say among thousands of other voices and know to change whatever it was you were thinking but not actually saying.

You mean sort of like the petition a few thousand people... with varying levels of experience as a performer, isntructor, fans and so on... signed, but made no difference?

There is no place for the voice of the "layman" anywhere in the make up of the modern drum corps organization. However, let's entertain the supposition that you are put onto the Board of Directors of any drum corps within DCI.

Even if you manage to do so, inevitably the decision comes down to the feelings of one person: the director. If they feel differently than you, then your position is a moot point, just as much as it is posting about it on DCP.

Plenty of us don't have time to be part of a BoD, or effect change in a "hands on" manner. Some people just want to to go to a show, and not deal with the politics of the DCI directors.

The best recourse we have in that position is to either write to the programs with our feelings, or post about it here and see where the discussion goes. :)

I'm saying booing and/or silence are a very inefficient way to communicate a specific message, particularly when most people are applauding anyway. Writing the directors is surely a better way to communicate negative messages, isn't it? And it has the added advantage of not being offensive to performers who aren't guilty anyway.

Fair enough that some people feel voiceless. I still think booing is the worst way to achieve your purpose.

HH

Edited by glory

I wonder if the original poster was just upset that his corps wasn't well recieved even though they won. The crowd went wild for a few and I was most particularly surprised at the response to Phantom, obviously overwhelmingly the fan favorite. Of course other corps could get this respnse too if they were given a show made for the audience. Of course Phantom has always tried to please the audience first an the heck with the judges. I have never seen a show booed , only the scores at retreat. Talking to other audience members that night I only heard dissatisfaction at the scores. Nobody said anything about the kids not giving a good effort.

I don't think that explains it. At least it doesn't address the reasons stated here why some say they don't applaud certain corps. The reason given by the clapless is they weren't entertained. If that's the case, the struggle isn't relevant. Like the struggling D3 corps that gets polite (or better) applause, don't the hard-working members of the D1 corps whose programs fails to impress also deserve some acknowledgement?

HH

Read his entire post and drop me another line so I can better understand what you mean B) ...